i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi. 66kw vs 84kw. What is the real difference?

Offline freddiefairlane

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
Hi folks! What is the real difference between a 66kw and a 84kw crdi? (2009 - 2008). I am about to replace my engine (66kw) because it gave up. So I got a hold of a new one, same engine, same numbers. But in the information about the car I took it from it says 84kw. My guess is that the difference is in the computer boxes. But does anyone know exactly what makes one have 66kw and the other one 84kw? I dont wanna miss the chance of gaining 20kw hehe.
I can swap whatever I want from the other car. So as long as it doesnt need to be compatible with the same key it's alright. But what do I have to swap?

Btw, these are swedish, 66kw has lower taxes and so on.

Thanks for reading, have a good day! :)
  • Hyundai i30 crdi -09

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I'm guessing that the only difference is the engine mapping in the ECU, and that all the peripheral parts like the turbo, intercooler etc are the same. If you use :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World and search using your VIN you can get the Hyundai parts numbers and compare them with the part numbers for the higher power engine.

If you search using VIN number TMADB51SLBJ164243, this is for a 2011 1.6 diesel with 85kW engine. You may find there are some hardware differences in the peripheral parts, but I'm guessing it's just the ECU mapping. In England the vehicle registration document includes the engine number, so in theory, if you change the engine you must inform the authorities as it can affect taxation. Also, the insurance company must be told if there is a modification to the car such as adding more power. If you have an accident and they discover a more powerful engine they will invalidate insurance cover.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I vaguely recall the lower power engines didn't have the VGT turbo. search for "garret" there was at least one good thread on the topic - oh 10 years or so ago.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal