i30CRDI · 101 · 51769

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
*time
*amount of km travelled
*amount of city driving (involving lots of steering input) as opposed to open road driving
*repeatedly turning the steering wheel whilst the wheels are stationary
*something else
 how much more durable is it than the original one. How can this more durable bush be identified?

Hi mate. Last question first.  The new ones are supposed to be more durable but :whistler: we await. They look exactly like the pictured ones of old. But the only ones I have seen are damaged beyond recognition.
 Re your first 5 questions,; I have to say none of them seem to apply.

Some examples:
2009 FD replaced at about 60,000km in 2013
2010 FD  replaced at 118,000 km in 2017
2011 FD  replaced at 23,800 km in 2016
2009 FD still ok at 112,000km in 2017.
2011 FD still ok at 24,500 km in 2017

and Mick , to my knowledge this bush is only in Hyundai columns and it is a problem here and North America.
Not sure about Europe, maybe someone can speak to that.
You can add my 2009 FD  at 80,000 klms in 2015.

And I'm pretty sure the tech bulletiin first used on here was of European origin.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
*time
*amount of km travelled
*amount of city driving (involving lots of steering input) as opposed to open road driving
*repeatedly turning the steering wheel whilst the wheels are stationary
*something else
 how much more durable is it than the original one. How can this more durable bush be identified?

Hi mate. Last question first.  The new ones are supposed to be more durable but :whistler: we await. They look exactly like the pictured ones of old. But the only ones I have seen are damaged beyond recognition.
 Re your first 5 questions,; I have to say none of them seem to apply.

Some examples:
2009 FD replaced at about 60,000km in 2013
2010 FD  replaced at 118,000 km in 2017
2011 FD  replaced at 23,800 km in 2016
2009 FD still ok at 112,000km in 2017.
2011 FD still ok at 24,500 km in 2017

and Mick , to my knowledge this bush is only in Hyundai columns and it is a problem here and North America.
Not sure about Europe, maybe someone can speak to that.

Thanks for your reply guys...and especially for your (in-the-field) perspective NZEnigma..

Gees! Seemingly random km in the ones that you listed..

I am wondering if any of the higher km i30's still have their original bush..

Do you have a hunch about what it is that makes them self-destruct?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Well the 'rubber' is soft  of like its been  in a volatile solvent .....   :goodjob2: or like old perished rubber :goodjob:
 Could be just a chemical break down.
Maybe heat is a factor?
I'm in Queensland and WE are seeing lots of failures.
I wonder how many Dazz is aware of in Tazzie?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Tassie is poor for member numbers that's why I post so much to make up for it.  :crazy1:

I did about 68k in my FD over 2 years without having the issue and am pretty sure @FatBoy didn't have an issue with his "bush" before he traded his FD

No other Tassie member has posted about the problem that I can recall.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Tassie is poor for member numbers that's why I post so much to make up for it.  :crazy1:

I did about 68k in my FD over 2 years without having the issue and am pretty sure @FatBoy didn't have an issue with his "bush" before he traded his FD

No other Tassie member has posted about the problem that I can recall.

I did about 80,000 km in the two years I had the car in Tassie, I didn't have any problems.

Offline crazykev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I got my part from ebay the item is over now but it was similar to this. Just get it sent from korea, the aussie sellers are overpriced.
:link: OEM 563152K000FFF Flexible Steering Coupler For Hyundai Elantra Veloster Azera | eBay

I figured if it was crap I could get the $28 hyundai dealer one. Its looked legit when I got it, so I used it.

Nah I wont be doing them for beer, though one could refine his skills and make some money out of this repair. I think the reason I posted, Is to say I think the kinda of person that can install say a car stereo and general servicing could do this job, if they take their time and don't force anything. I had my doubts as the TSB document is daunting but really once you skip taking the steering wheel off and leave the column in one piece it isnt that bad. Though its the kind of job that if you stuff up and break something it could cost you big bucks. Also you want a helper to lift the column back into place I think. And you really don't want to stuff up the position of the steering and need a re-calibration. That would be a pain. When you start the car again the EPS light will be on as it does every time you disconnect the battery - so dont freak out, you just need to start it, turn full lock Left to full lock right, turn it off again, restart and the EPS will go out.

As to questions regarding what drives the failures, i think there is alot of load on the piece of rubber/plastic considering the amount of torque pushed through it and the shock loads it would see. The oily greasy shavings I got out were very sticky. Like dissolved as nzenigma stated. I believe that it is a bad quality part that starts breaking down, but it is possible that the oily stickiness and disintegration is related to the amount of stress thats placed on the part. Another factor could be a highway miles thing. My car got to 150k but it did alot of highway miles with the previous owner - so less turns. City cars may fail earlier.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:32:19 by crazykev »
  • i30 FD diesel slx

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The cause is quite inconclusive, I think it is just rubber decomposition. I'll modify my list regarding the  2011 done 23,000km. I remembered later that the column came out of a damaged (not frontal) car and was on the shelf for about two years. It broke down soon after it was installed in another car.

The reason I take the steering wheel off when I do the job , also  light & ind stalks that simply unclip, is to give me more space and balance when refitting the repaired unit. No trouble doing it alone that way.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
  enigma has brain wave

or dementia departs briefly...  :head_butt:

The problem could be too little use. Hard driving could make the bush last longer..

After modifying my post to say one column had not been used for about 2 years , then failed, I remembered BOOTS , as you do!  :mrgreen:

A few years ago work boots started to come on the market with a new type of rubber composition sole. They withstood oil acid etc were long-lasting and generally out lived the leather boot. My boot soles were perfect after 2 years or more.

But, if you were just a physical dreamer and put them in the cupboard for the annual look-at-me-day, you would find the soles were breaking down, smelt perished and eventually they just fell off the boot.

The new rubber and or the adhesive was chemically breaking down ( basically :spitty:)

BUSH SOLVED :D

Offline crazykev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I see what you are saying. I had a similar experience too. I had some Oliver work boots I didn't use much coz they were the wrong size and left in the cupboard for 5 years and the Polyethylene soles degraded in a very similar way. So maybe it inst linked anything aside from which batch the part came from.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 22:58:50 by crazykev »
  • i30 FD diesel slx

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I see what you are saying. I had a similar experience too. I had some Oliver work boots I didn't use much coz they were the wrong size and left in the cupboard for 5 years and the Polyethylene soles degraded in a very similar way. So maybe it inst linked anything aside from which batch the part came from.

Just to be sure then...I will take my i30 out of the cupboard!  :rofl:

Both your comment and NZEnigma's make sense. Thanks.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just as a matter of interest, I asked Graham Smith at Fulcrum Suspensions about the  possibilty of them making the  bush.
At that time, late 2015, his stores hadn't seen anywhere enough failures to make it worthwhile.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just as a matter of interest, I asked Graham Smith at Fulcrum Suspensions about the  possibilty of them making the  bush.
At that time, late 2015, his stores hadn't seen anywhere enough failures to make it worthwhile.

These days it would be a super easy part to 3D scan and make with a 3D printer. Whether anyone could make it out of something longer lasting than the original would be the problem, being that most 3D printers use plastic of some sort or other..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Yes mate, I tend to agree with him. It seems 5-6 years is the critical period. Had I known what I do now I would have saved myself the agro of having to install then reinstall the 23K one .

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

These days it would be a super easy part to 3D scan and make with a 3D printer. Whether anyone could make it out of something longer lasting than the original would be the problem, being that most 3D printers use plastic of some sort or other..

Get Gonz to run it past NASA.  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@The Gonz

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Didn't they lose two Shuttles?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

That was early on, no losses with the new steering bush.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

That was early on, no losses with the new steering bush.
:undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:

I'll get Frank my VICPOL schoolchum to look into a 3D model - he owes me a $200 save when I brought his 3D printer back to life. The thermoplastics used in most 3D printing are ABS and PLA. If the material doesn't stand up to the rigour, perhaps the outcome will serve to create a viable mould. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I was about to say all that  :goodjob:

I see that Dazz  is in lock step too.  :winker:

PS can we get the price down a bit... they were only $5 ?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hey I just checked and they're $15 on eBay free delivery.
Not $5 but I don't know whether 3D printing is viable at that price! :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey I just checked and they're $15 on eBay free delivery.
Not $5 but I don't know whether 3D printing is viable at that price! :crazy1:

It wasn't the cost, it was the durability I was thinking about! 

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :goodjob:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
 5 for $13, 10 for $23

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
        Another rambling topic from the asylum ?   :wacko:

>  news of a rattle in a Hyundai
>   list every rattle this decade for Paolo
>    give up :spitty:
>      return with work boots
>        Paolo admits he is insane (keeps his i30 in a cupboard)
>         The Gonz  :phone1: calls NASA
>             we will print an i30
>                 Gerard looses 2 shuttles
>                    we negotiate the deal ($15)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

5 for $13, 10 for $23

:eek:

But will they last?

Another rambling topic from the asylum ?   :wacko:

>  news of a rattle in a Hyundai
>   list every rattle this decade for Paolo
>    give up :spitty:
>      return with work boots
>        Paolo admits he is insane (keeps his i30 in a cupboard)
>         The Gonz  :phone1: calls NASA
>             we will print an i30
>                 Gerard looses 2 shuttles
>                    we negotiate the deal ($15)

:rofl:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol: :judges:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
5 for $13, 10 for $23

better hold off on the Ebay bargians, they just arrived not in OEM package . Likely clones

@nzenigma Do you have a live one you can photo both sides for a comparo.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The entire asylum awaits with bated breath.

P.S. I'll keep a look out for some in Madrid next week, where I'll also pick up a couple of Clubi30.es keyrings during our street meet. :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal