i30 Owners Club

Flat Battery

Offline melville1

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      cheshire
I recently came to unlock my i30 with remote, nothing happened, I thought it was the remote, I tried my spare one, still nothing but car was locked, I opened car with key and got in it, when I tried the key in ignition, it was totally dead, I called the AA out, he said its a flat battery and he jumped started it, he tested battery and said the battery needs renewing, I ran the car to put some charge in it, I have had it cheaked since and they say its a good battery, I did not leave anything on, and cannot understand why it should be totally flat like that, any body else experienced anything similar
  • hyhundai i30 crdi

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
How long was it left dormant before you tried to unlock it?

Is it the original battery? If so it'll be around 8 years old so it may be ready for a refresh you know ;)

There were some reports about the MDPS (motor driven power steering) continuing to draw power when idle, but I cannot recall the conditions under which that happens.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline melville1

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      cheshire
Yes it was stood for a couple of days, but I had been out for a long run before this, I think it is the original battery, I have had it on charge all day, its saying battery is ok, I will see if it happens again if so will replace it, the only thing I did do was drop all the electric windows, because it was so hot, without starting the engine, not sure if this would cause it, this was the day before
  • hyhundai i30 crdi

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd expect my battery to start fading after 5 years, so you've been quite lucky :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Melville,  I see from your first posting that your car is a 2010 model. Like Steve says if it is the original you have been quite lucky it has lasted this long. They usually die between 5 and 8 years, so you really should think about replacing it very soon to save being stranded on a regular basis.

Make sure you get a good one with the same rating as the diesel needs a more powerful battery to handle the glow plugs and the heavier cranking of the diesel motor design. At least I think that is the reason they get a stronger battery.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Beaware if you breakdown with same battery fault.

Just check the AA t&c's as they may not come out or even charge you if they are called out again and find the same battery is the case  as they have already told you you require new battery.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I was reading this and thought that a "test" would have been suggested by now  :lol:  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline melville1

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      cheshire
Thanks for all advise will be renewing battery very soon, the Varta batteries look very good, I will get a heavy duty one
  • hyhundai i30 crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I was reading this and thought that a "test" would have been suggested by now  :lol:  :lol:

:rolleyes: I was waiting for it too.   :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
There were some reports about the MDPS (motor driven power steering) continuing to draw power when idle, but I cannot recall the conditions under which that happens.

That occurs when the steering hasn't been correctly centred.( rubber bush failure)

as you have been saying, this is just an old age battery.

I currently have two batteries that are suddenly on death's door due to winter temperatures. One came from a wrecker last year, but its not very old. This is when they always fail if they are near use-by date. Must be a permanent phenomenon up your way. :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal