i30 Owners Club

2018 Fastback Gearknob Change?

Offline Osarkon

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pembrokeshire
Hi all,

I've bought myself a 68 plate (17 model) i30 Fastback last week. Still getting used to it, and one of the things I need to do is change the gear knob as the existing one is particularly worn. I've managed to source a replacement from a breakers yard in Germany, but haven't a clue how to swap it over.

Is there a guide somewhere that shows how, or has someone already done it? I can find a ton of information on older models along with videos, but nothing for my car.

Educated guess says I need to remove the silver trim around the gear gaitor?

• Hyundai i30 Fastback 1.4

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The gaitor needs to be released from the console first, via the small black tabs shown in your pic...get your finger in underneath the tabs and pull in and upwards.

Once the gaitor is released then unscrew the gearknob anti-clockwise, it'll be fairly tight.

Offline Osarkon

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pembrokeshire
Oh so I just need to reach to where the tabs are from on top of the gaitor and release? No trim removal necessary? And then presumably reverse the process to reinstall?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Oh so I just need to reach to where the tabs are from on top of the gaitor and release? No trim removal necessary? And then presumably reverse the process to reinstall?
Correct :goodjob2:

Offline Osarkon

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pembrokeshire
Finally got it sussed today.

Turns out gaitor doesn't need to come off at all - just pull on the top (without pulling on the reverse gear lever underneath) and it'll just pop off!  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks like Hyundai have slightly changed how the gear knob connects then, well done sorting it out :goodjob:

Offline Osarkon

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Pembrokeshire
Looks like! Struggled for weeks. Dealer didn't want to know, reckoned it was an hour and a half job for 2 people due to plastic welds or some sort of nonsense.  :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal