• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Has anyone tried to wash the filter.

If so, was it sucessful and did it work ok

Or

Did you have to purchase a new one as it just disintegeated........
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I have not tried to wash it with any liquid. I guess you could vacuum the larger crap out. I usually have a lot of birch seeds etc. in the filter. But at least I have little particles of dust and pollen which does not come out when I tried to clean it with pressurised air. But i am not so sure how the "cardboard" filter would act to water... I would not be surprised if the filter became soggy and lost its shape. I usually change the filter once or twice a year (to the bit more expensive ones with active carbon).
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
yeah, I wash mine out , left it out in the sun for half a day to dry then a spay of Glenn 20, came up about 50% clearer if you have a air compressor you could do a much better job however never going to be new again.

You can get news for about $20
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Has anyone tried to wash the filter.

If so, was it sucessful and did it work ok

Or

Did you have to purchase a new one as it just disintegeated........

I changed mine this very day Lester, it didn't cost a fortune and wasn't a terribly big job therefor I don't feel that being a cheapskate is really needed in this case.  Having said that, I can be as cheap as most other, except maybe Dazz  :crazy1:, when needed....

C'mon Lester get some of the money spent  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid: :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
I don't see a reason to wash instead to change.

I cleaned this once, but for "investigation", I shook the filter a couple times and no more.
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt (110CV/81KW), Manual, Steel gray

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

For genuine hy filters

The fd one is circa £9. and 2 pieces
The gd circa £22 and just 1 piece.

I know i can get the gd for circa £15 from web but was just wondering if anyone had done it.

I did hoover but the dirt is in grain in the mesh stuff.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I haven't washed that filter, but have washed paper filters before then spin dry in washing machine. Remember that you can only apply water in the reverse direction to air flow or you'll wash the contaminants to the wrong side of the filter. Not too bad for interior pollen but definitely not good for engine air filter. I soaked the filter in shallow water with detergent and gently got between each fold of the filter to clean out the trash. Don't soak too long and dry immediately as the glue is sometimes not waterproof and if it lets go, you won't be filtering anything at all.

Naturally, new filters are the best.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK. Here's my take on it.

Why do we have them at all?

They only made their appearance a (relatively) few years ago to the best of my knowledge.

I've never changed one or inspected one. My thinking has always been that whatever they catch has been flowing through our cars all our lives and I'm still alive and relatively healthy.

So, someone sell me on them please?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I guess you're one of the lucky people who don't have reactions to pollen and Diesel contaminants in air. Neither does our family, but in more congested countries it must be a problem for some people. Also if opposition brands offer it as standard so should Hy.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Surferdude

You make a valid point but I think they are a good idea for anyone who gets asthma or Hay Fever. I don't have asthma but used to get hay fever. I still get itchy eyes/ears and stuff sometimes. I must check Trish's filter at some stage.  :cool:

@asathorny

I would undoubtedly try and clean it first, but if not easy or effective would happily buy one ... off the internet "cheap".... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@Surferdude

You make a valid point but I think they are a good idea for anyone who gets asthma or Hay Fever. I don't have asthma but used to get hay fever. I still get itchy eyes/ears and stuff sometimes. I must check Trish's filter at some stage.  :cool:

I get hay fever and as you know Claire is asthmatic but neither of us has noticed any change in our symptoms even when moving into a new car with an effective pollen filter. Incidentally the testing I did years ago showed I'm not allergic to any pollens including wattle.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is a cabin filter change inlcuded in any of the services?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
At a cost, I think they're about $40 or maybe that was the air filter price :undecided:

I'd like to know how well the system works without a filter to be honest, If it doesn't clog up the ducts with bugs and what not then I don't particularly need it.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

The cost is not included . My Hyundai service centre inspects them at each service and if they are dirty will ask if I would like it changed . Just had my 30,000 km service and was informed it did not need changing, and rightly so as I have only done 9.300 km. They charge $40 to supply and fit if required. I always inspect the filter before a service anyway as the last dealer I used was quite keen on charging for unnecessary items, this is why I have changed to this dealer who appears efficient and honest ,time will tell.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Here in uk according to the latest service schedule it is not included in the hy service but an extra.

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld

well actually I started a thread on this a few months ago, and in the handbook it says it is to replace every 15000/12mths however the dealers don't, rather the go of what is publish on the Web Pages for the Cap price servicing, which says inspect only. So they don't replace when they are included in the cap price service.
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My final observation on this matter is this:- 

If you intend not to change it often then I would recommend removing it completly, simply on health grounds, I mean if it becomes damp and it is warm then you may as well be using a petri dish as an air filter as it will inevitably become an agar plate pumping bubonic plague around your car.  Ok OK a slight exageration   :crazy1:

As stated earlier we have driven for most of our lives with the winders down breathing in loads of crap and boosting our immune systems, so why start bothering now.

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
Here they always change it at the service as required by the book, every 20k km or yearly.
Gd models have 30k service interval, so I guess they change it less frequent.
I changed mine recently (after 14months) and it was full of nasty crap with bugs.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline WxmJax

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North of Watford
I changed my GD pollen filter last week. The one I bought was slightly too big even though I gave the correct details. It would have meant cutting through hard plastic. There does appear to be a variation amongst different suppliers. Bought one off ebay in the end, the size is 196mm, it was a Crosland filter no. 507 88 0098
  • 2013 GD 1.6 110ps man diesel estate.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Did another service few days ago. Oil, coolant, filters etc.12 months and the filters are in pretty bad condition.

Here is a comparison of the old vs new engine air filter.

I think I need to change the filters every 6 months.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah, pretty grotty!  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm amazed at how chocked full of crap the cabin filter is :Shocked:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I'm amazed at how chocked full of crap the cabin filter is :Shocked:

There are few birch trees close to my parking spot. I had a better spot previously and the filter was never full of birch seeds as it is now...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline 3amigos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
gave a couple of washes..came up great..but will still get a new one

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal