i30 Owners Club

hyundai insulation - in wheel wells

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
I send a video that convince me what extra insulation need the i30gd model to have less road noise.
I may do it when in my next service.

video here:

what do you think?
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It might work, I wonder how heavy that stick on rubber matting is :undecided:

If you were really keen then some super light weight professional sound deadener might be better, you can trim out the whole car with only 4lbs of weight :link: Automotive Heat & Sound Car Insulation Store

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If I remember correctly, esteemed member Alan Ho did this exercise with one of his previous i30's and was disappointed in the very small reduction in NVH (as measured by his decibel meter )
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
he did the same wheel well insulation or he did the insullation inside of the car?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
he did the same wheel well insulation or he did the insullation inside of the car?
Alan's topic is here :link: Installing Noise Insulation - GD i30 CRDi

It was a different material used which was also quite heavy and not complete coverage, wheel wells were also not done.

To do the interior properly seats - centre console and carpet would all need to be removed, a major job but if done correctly is effective as the material listed :link: Automotive Heat & Sound Car Insulation Store is similar to what we used in race cars though that was heat and fire proofing as well and very expensive.

The wheel well internals could also be sprayed with underbody sound proofing as an option instead of the stick on matting, not sure which I would use but either choice would be a far simpler task than insulation the interior of the car.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 15:53:47 by CraigB »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Seems like a great deal of effort, not to mention expense, for very little reward.

My car is fully insulated to keep the noise in, just turn the radio volume up so that I can hear the 'Archers'

:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline barryden

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Fl
Looks like a good solution. Not a fan of road noise also, so I'm thinking of putting dynamat or a similar product.
  • Elantra

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Great news, when someone finish this kind of insulation first we can have a review.
It sounds that this is the insulation that is missing in hyundai cars like i30gd etc and it
is not so difficult to do it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal