i30 Owners Club

Feels like turbo lag in i30 1.8 petrol

Mri30 · 8 · 3930

Offline Mri30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast, Queensland, 4208
Hi all, my trusty 2014 i30, 1.8 petrol auto has a niggling problem, when you come up to a roundabout or corner and slow down then put your foot down to enter the roundabout the i30 seems to stall and then suddenly it takes off, just as if it was a turbo lag but I know this not a turbo lag as it is petrol, took in to the Dealers here on the Gold Coast and they say they cannot identify the problem as there are no codes showing, and they tell me that any codes that are found are wiped when you turn the ignition off which to me seems a lot BS, any one else had this problem???

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow, that is a pretty dangerous fault! Do you think they did enough test driving, did you go with them? I hate that no faults found bullshit! Keep at them.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

and they tell me that any codes that are found are wiped when you turn the ignition off

WTF. Thats Bullshit.
Your concern is not one that I have come across before and not something I would even have a guess at.
Is it intermittent?
Is there any throttle response at all?
How many KM's?
Could it be gearbox holding higher gear and shifting back?
Only thing I can recommend is learning to reproduce the fault on command and showing them how to do it.
Sorry no fault found at time of inspection.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Online Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Our 2010 fd is doing something very similar. It is a manual, 2.0l. Under mild load between 1000 and 2000 rpm it stutters. Just like the round-about and cornering described. Above 2000 rpm everything is normal. It has only done about 40000kms. Another unusual thing, it doesn't seem to happen with a cold engine, drive one km and it starts to stutter. With ours I am thinking either timing belt tensioner,dirty injectors, sparkplugs, coilpacks or ecu issue( almost everything which wont give troublecodes). I'll know more tomorrow after the service guys look at it. It is very difficult to drive now as I have been trained by my I20 gearshift indication, which likes to keep the rpms low.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds frustrating Aye30! Hope they can identify the issue without mucking you around too much!  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Yes have this exact problem, I'm thinking sticky VVT solenoid.
Is very predictable at around the 2500rpm mark and makes it difficult to drive at all smoothly.
Something else for the 60,000k service. 
These Hyundai service guys must live in a very rarified world, every problem is a totally new experience to them.
Never heard the cold start noise, gearboxes don't sound like an Austin A30, steering doesn't waft around by itself and so on.

• i-30

Online Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I got an check engine code p0303, Which translates to cylinder 3 misfire. Checked the plug and it has carbon tracking. I cleaned off the carbon and the car now runs smoothly around roundabouts. Ignition leads are not covered under warranty. So i'll have to pay for new ones and sparkplugs. Pity, they only just replaced the spark plugs in the last service (champion coppers)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I had a very (very) similar problem with my Dodge Caliber a while back. It turned out to be a mucky injector.

Oh, and the codes stayed in when the ignition wsa off and on again. So, as cruiserfied mentioned, what they told you is BS
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal