i30 Owners Club

$200 for a cabin filter!

pidim · 27 · 5287

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all, just thought I'd share my recent dealer experience with servicing.  My car went in for it's "5 year" service having only done 56,000 kms.  Was quoted $265 for the service (seemed reasonable), asked for wiper blades to be changed as well - charged me $45. 

...but my favourite bit was when I got the call around 3pm.  "Hello Mr..... we're just in the middle of your service and noticed your cabin filter is very dirty.... yada yada yada"  Me: So how much is a new one?  Dealer " $200"  Me:  "So let me understand this, you are almost doubling the price of my service with just one cabin filter?"  Dealer: "That includes labour" 

Anyway, I told them not to change, I would do it myself.

Seriously, are these guys for real?  Anyway, I asked for a couple of other things to be done, but I have not had a chance to check this because of the heavy rain during pick-up.  I will name and shame if unhappy with what I see tomorrow.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Call Hyundai Australia and report them for profiteering, I called head office and reported Hyundai Rockingham for trying to charge me $80 for the cabin filter when it should have been about $40, can buy online for $17-$19 through eBay.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
They wanted to charge labour to fit a part they had already removed and would have to refit as part of the normal service procedure  :crazy1: :head_knock: :crazy2:
I think the genuine ones retail around $60 (don't quote me on that) and you can't charge labour, thats just BS.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
   :Shocked:     Tell them their dreaming, that is a ludicrous price. Genuine Hyundai pollen filter on Ebay is $37 with free postage. To fit takes 5 min. Genuine Hyundai engine air filter ( Ebay ) $28.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The price probably includes a refill of the indicators and power steering fluid.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They wanted to charge labour to fit a part they had already removed and would have to refit as part of the normal service procedure  :crazy1: :head_knock: :crazy2:
I think the genuine ones retail around $60 (don't quote me on that) and you can't charge labour, thats just BS.

Like the A/C sanatiser and oil treatment they were stinging people for while I was waiting for the FD to have a brake light switch done.

Nearly everyone took the $15 oil treatment. Nice little earner.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Like the A/C sanatiser and oil treatment they were stinging people for while I was waiting for the FD to have a brake light switch done.

Yeah and all that's gonna do is destroy your engine faster.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yeah and all that's gonna do is destroy your engine faster.

Only if they put it in.....

Not that I use them, but my question would be whats wrong with the oil you use then/

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Pidim you are a much calmer person than me.
 I Would have named them  straight up for having the gall to call you and hit you up for  $200:00.
I  hope you still name them here and as craigB said "report them" to HA and say it does nothing for the Hyundai  brand. Another few months and I'll need ours to get serviced.
Speaking of cabin filters, does anyone know if the air is cooled or heated before going through the filter?

I hate to see over-charging by dealers.
Thompson Ford at Parramatta serviced one of  our work Rangers a couple of years ago, $17:00 per litre for engine oil !! I called the manager and asked if the driver was supposed to receive oral sex when they collected the car ?! The invoice was altered to $7:00 per litre.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks to all for your feedback.

When will dealer learn that car "service" does not mean a coffee machine, SMS messages, TVs in the waiting area and a car wash. 

All customers want is honesty and integrity from trained people that will do the right thing for the brand they represent and the customer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

When will dealer learn that car "service" does not mean a coffee machine, SMS messages, TVs in the waiting area and a car wash. 

All customers want is honesty and integrity from trained people that will do the right thing for the brand they represent and the customer.

What a great way to summarise it! We should make that our moto and pin it in the "Name and Shame" section..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

It can mean all that too, just don't try to charge $200 for a cabin filter.... That said, my mechanic has none of these, and there is an awesome coffee shop down the road.....

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
For fun you could ask why they charge so much to fit a $38 part?

:link: GENUINE HYUNDAI I30 GD TURBO POLLEN CABIN FILTER (TAX INVOICE - GST INCLUDED) | eBay

If your really cool ask why you need to change it at all. I havent changed one.....

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Same here. I'm still on the original cabin filter, coming up to 7.5 years.  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Same here. I'm still on the original cabin filter, coming up to 7.5 years.  :whistler:

That's nothing to sneeze at!  :snigger:

Careful, you might start getting homesick for Indonesian pollution...  :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I thought you were too tyred to be getting toxic! :crazy1:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I looked at my car's cabin filters the other day for the first time in 80K, which has been 6.5 years.

I didn't have a new replacement set on hand so I jarred the filters against a table edge and then vacuumed out the bugs and sticks etc...it was really clogged.

Made a mental note to replace them at maybe 100K and every 40K after that.

It is amazing how much extra air-flow I get when the fresh air button is pressed....honestly can feel the difference...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I looked at my car's cabin filters the other day for the first time in 80K, which has been 6.5 years.

I didn't have a new replacement set on hand so I jarred the filters against a table edge and then vacuumed out the bugs and sticks etc...it was really clogged.

Made a mental note to replace them at maybe 100K and every 40K after that.

It is amazing how much extra air-flow I get when the fresh air button is pressed....honestly can feel the difference...

I only use the recycle function. Keeps the dirty truck smoke out of the car.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I checked Trish's tourer today ( 30 months and roughly 20k) seemed pretty clean. No obvious debris in it. Hard to tell is discoloured though being it is charcoal coloured.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Question,
Does anybody know if the air is cooled / heated before  the filter or after it ??
I assume it is after,  but with the filter at the back of the glovebox, which is  cooled , ?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Question,
Does anybody know if the air is cooled / heated before  the filter or after it ??
I assume it is after,  but with the filter at the back of the glovebox, which is  cooled , ?

I would have thought before, being that the filter is so close to the glove box! :undecided:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'm hoping after the filter,  otherwise we're putting hot / cold moist "dirty " air through a filter.
No wonder they look black.    :spitty:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Question,

The pollen filter is the first thing the air goes through. As well as getting cool dry air it stops the heating/cooling elements getting filled with junk.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's the clearest instruction I've found for the task later today. :D

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
cruiserfied:
Thanks I was hoping it worked that way , but curiosity.

Gonz:
Thanks,  dead easy 👍

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well anyway., just bought a Wesfil for $17.95 delivered free and fitted it in 2 minutes.  Feel like sending back the dirty one to Hyundai dealer with a rebate claim for $182.05 and request they 'dispose' of it responsibly reduce my next service by this amount.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
pidim,
A bit of fun would be to take it out before you go, take a photo as proof and wait and see if you get the "your filter is dirty ",
if you do, then you say " change it and I want to see the old one " !!   :evil:   :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal