i30 Owners Club

Some diesels' emissions up to nine times the legal limit

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
This supports my post a few days ago when I said other manufacturers may be doing similar or worse then VW did, but because they weren't tested, they could be getting away with it. Well now it looks like some have. Surprise surprise. VW does not appear on this illustrious list.

I wonder if these manufacturers will now cop what VW did. Yeah right.

I think it is totally wrong to crucify only one manufacturer, or business or person for that matter, regardless of who they are, for doing something others are doing but not being punished. Yes I know some will say VW cheated but how do we know others aren't

Diesel cars on British roads can emit more than nine times the level of dangerous pollutants allowed in official tests.

:link: Diesel cars pumping out 9 times limit for harmful emission | Daily Mail Online
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think the difference is VW created a program within the vehicle to pass the test, knowing the vehicle would otherwise fail. The others, with the lack of evidence to the contary, passed the test, but are higher in real world driving. Much like saying the bloke who writes the answer to a test on his arm is not more of a cheat than someone who walks into a test chanting a formula they cant remember then writes it down at the first avaliable opportunity.

Much the same as how the sticker on the front of the car tells you the vehicles fuel economy, and in real life this is no where near reality. A lab test is there to set the benchmark in controlled conditions. You pass this without using a computer to sense the test and run the car differently you pass.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
VW created a program within the vehicle to pass the test, knowing the vehicle would otherwise fail.

Precise response.  :goodjob2:

They gamed the system. VW was caught in the USA , fined, and is now being prosecuted in Australia.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal