i30 Owners Club

Tow Bar with reversing sensors

Offline asphalt_world

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Suffolk
Hi all,

First post as I've recently purchased a 2 year old i30 estate.

I need to fit a tow bar, mainly for using a bike rack I have. I was wondering if anyone has had one fitted that made the reversing sensors activate simply because of the tow bar?

That would be really annoying.

Thanks in advance.
  • i30 Estate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welc1

I seem to recall that some rear sensors have a setting to allow for a tow bar, but not sure if the i30 is one of them. Hopefully somwone will know for sure. I assume you would need to switch them off when you have the bike in the rack.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I have a button on the left of the steering wheel, by the headlight adjustment and steering wheel heating to deactivate the reverse sensors, for towing and when they get covered in ice. Dont know if this is stock or only stock on cars with tow.

I have not yet tested with my bike rack on, but the sensors might be low enough depending on model of rack and size of bikes.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have a button on the left of the steering wheel, by the headlight adjustment and steering wheel heating to deactivate the reverse sensors, for towing and when they get covered in ice. Dont know if this is stock or only stock on cars with tow.

I have not yet tested with my bike rack on, but the sensors might be low enough depending on model of rack and size of bikes.

Thanks xiziz :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Okay - well I realise we are talking GD here and my i30 is an FD...  However I have a Hyundai OEM towbar (and wiring) which were fitted by the dealer.

My reverse sensors are only ever active in reverse and only the hitch tongue (mine is removable - square-box type) comes through the bumper and seems to be in the blind spot between two sensors.

I don't have a switch to term them off and I don't recall what happens when towing and reversing the few times I have (maybe I ignore them or they get disabled - I don't recall).   So can't say with any certainty that plugging a trailer in (or a plug with dummy light loads) disables them.   Having said the I am sure something similar has been discussed here before - but I don't recall if wiring disables sensor.

Like xiziz mentioned - I suspect it will depend on the rack and bikes.  And probably only when reversing (which could be annoying both from sound and if in a busy place and/or young kids around) if the do detect.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline asphalt_world

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Suffolk
Thanks all,

I fully expect the sensors to pick up the bike rack and will switch them off when it's attached. I was just wondering in the tow bar itself would cause the sensors to beep when nothing is attached to it. That would be annoying!!!
  • i30 Estate

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks all,

I fully expect the sensors to pick up the bike rack and will switch them off when it's attached. I was just wondering in the tow bar itself would cause the sensors to beep when nothing is attached to it. That would be annoying!!!

Ahh I see - for me it would only be in reverse gear and not in my experience for the towbar.

Of course, ultimately, it would depend on the exact model of towbar - an OEM one, or one 'designed for', is probably not going to have any issues (and if a 'designed for' did have issues you could argue that it should mean it doesn't interfere with std. OEM equipment).  And I suspect the same for many others where the cross-bar is under/behind the bumper with only the tongue (detachable or fixed) coming through.   

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I've never owned one but have never had a problem with reverse sensors picking up towbars on I30's. The bike rack is an unknown, it will depend on how far away from the body it is. You might get lucky.

Good thing is turning them off, if there is no switch inside, is easy. All you have to do is have the little door on the trailer plug opened. Best way would be to buy a trailer plug from auto shop and plug it in when you want sensors disabled.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have a frioend (truly, I do   :D) who owns a Kia Optima.
As soon as she had a towbar fitted the rear sensors went a bit haywire and certainly do react to the towbar itself on her car.   :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
As soon as she had a towbar fitted the rear sensors went a bit haywire and certainly do react to the towbar itself on her car.   :disapp:

Wow!  I am assuming most of the towbar was hidden behind the body work?  Interesting.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Wow!  I am assuming most of the towbar was hidden behind the body work?  Interesting.

No, it's just a normal towbar tongue that was fitted by an aftermarket supplier.
It's annoying because as soon as reverse is selected it goes off.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal