i30 Owners Club

SERVICING THE HANDBRAKE. Hyundai i30 2013 diesel (63 plate)

Offline Discovery 1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
New to the forum.
I have a 2013 i30 diesel and I think the handbrake cable has become too stretched to operate the rear calipers effectively. I am wondering how to replace the cables and how difficult it would be. Also on a slightly related note I can't find any info on how to remove the centre console around the handbrake to get better access to the cables. Also in case there is something I've missed, is there anything 'special' that needs doing to 'reset' the handbrake when new rear calipers have been fitted as the car is not being held by the handbrake on a slope at the moment. Thanks.
  • Hyundai i30 2013 (63 plate)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Check / free up  cable and mechanism at the caliper. Lubricate same. British road conditions are your enemy.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Discovery 1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Free it and lubricate? Thanks for the advice. Is it easy enough to run new cables should I require? anything I need to remove to get access? Also, any advice on removing centre console inside to get to the cables better on the inside?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
long story required.  :rolleyes:
 First do the above lube as advised.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Discovery 1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks again. I will definitely try the lubrication however I should say that the calipers on both sides ARE being pulled when I apply the handbrake. The cables have been adjusted so that the handbrake feels tight. With the wheels off, four clicks of the handbrake means I can't move either wheel with a wheel brace but yet when the wheels are on and I park on a slope it does not hold even 6-7 clicks. Could this be a cable issue? Is there anything that needs doing to 'reset' the handbrake?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
if you go through our files ( search) you will realise that the GD caliper is vulnerable in the EU.

If they are not working properly thats where you start.  :crazy1:

If you need new cables, you have stretched them.

Could this be a cable issue? Is there anything that needs doing to 'reset' the handbrake?

:Dunno: Yes I could needlessly write screeds on how to change them. Then you can stretch the new ones too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal