i30 Owners Club

i30 CRDi Engine Vibration

Warner · 36 · 15609

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
@nzenigma yes I could have been doing it all from the beginning but as it was my first new car didn't really know what to expect from HY.  They probably padded the invoice out to most likely keep me happy.  But didn't care the second time.  The chance of oil getting from the gearbox to the clutch plate is very rare and there was no evidence under the car of oil.

The next car I get will be an auto that way there is no grey area of what is not under warranty anywhere in the engine and gearbox/drivetrain.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
thanks for the reply mate. Your issues with your dealer are not unique. But other dealers do consider their reputation and act ethically. Good driving, Cheers G.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Warner

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Queensland
Hi, nzenigma, the Gonz, h20melon, beerman and anybody else interested. It’s been a while but these things take time.
The vibration in the transmission? at 1800/2000rpm … the continuing story.  The story so far.
Car to Westpoint Autos.  Misdiagnosis of “right front engine mount needs replacement”.  Work done by outside mechanic .  No change so3 other engine mounts changed progressively .  The problem remained.  Cost $788.
Mechanic saw i30 owner’s club website and problem discussion.
I emailed Hyundai Customer Care and was told to take car to Hyundai dealer.   I said I had already done that, and that they must be aware of the problem and the solution.  Told to take the car to Hyundai dealer.
Recommended to try Hyundai Gympie.  After much diagnostic effort, no real diagnosis, just a bill for $937.
Emailed Hyundai Customer Care, saying I wanted them to fix car.  Started phoning them.  Officer in charge of my case never available, never phoned back.
Contacted Qld Regional Manager (QRM).  He said to take car to Westpoint for diagnosis at no expense to me, and that Westpoint could get help from Hyundai Qld technicians.  QRM said that there were only 3 possibilities:-
•   Fault was responsibility of Hyundai
•   Fault was not the responsibility of Hyundai
•   There was nothing wrong with the car
After the inspection but before I picked the car up he rang and said that investigations revealed that there was nothing wrong with car, but that he would help me buy another Hyundai until 31/12/2017.  My calculation of max value of help $1500.
Picked up car.  Report said that further investigation could not be done until clutch was replaced.  It was reported to me that the Hyundai technicians know of the problem and that their comment was that if the clutch was replaced the problem “went away”.  Very reassuring!
Clutch replaced by outside mechanic: $1000+.  Some improvement noticed.  The vibration seems to have diminished to a quiet roar until we induced it at the same revs in 4th gear, where it is still obvious but to a lesser extent.  My neighbour, who deals in cars, thought it sounded/felt like an exhaust bracket problem, so I’m taking it in to have this checked out.
I have sent a complaint to Fair Trading Queensland, based on the problem not being unique, and that I followed their instructions to take car to a dealer.  The least I want is a refund of $937, unproductively spent on their instructions.  Waiting time for response..up to 10 days.  We’ll see.
The clutch plate, which I got back from the mechanic, has smaller springs inside 2 opposite main springs, and the other 2 contain hollow metal cylinders, both of which show signs of a surface spiral.  They are free to rattle round inside the main spring, and seem to serve no purpose other than to maybe counter balance the 2 inner springs.  I have attached 2 photos. Does anybody know what they are there for?
Ever onward, but one thing; I will never buy a Hyundai manual or a diesel again.
P.S. Sorry about the photos. Our techknowledge (like that?) only lets us post photos in JPG. Hopefully someone can work from my description. W.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30 5 door hatch cdri metallic blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Warner,

Thanks for the update. Pretty impressive to document that frustrating and expensive tale of woe without using any expletives!

You have certainly made all the right noises and given it a red hot go! So disappointing that you are still battling with the issue.  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi, nzenigma, the Gonz, h20melon, beerman and anybody else interested. It’s been a while but these things take time.
The vibration in the transmission? at 1800/2000rpm … the continuing story.  The story so far.
Car to Westpoint Autos.  Misdiagnosis of “right front engine mount needs replacement”.  Work done by outside mechanic .  No change so3 other engine mounts changed progressively .  The problem remained.  Cost $788.
Mechanic saw i30 owner’s club website and problem discussion.
I emailed Hyundai Customer Care and was told to take car to Hyundai dealer.   I said I had already done that, and that they must be aware of the problem and the solution.  Told to take the car to Hyundai dealer.
Recommended to try Hyundai Gympie.  After much diagnostic effort, no real diagnosis, just a bill for $937.
Emailed Hyundai Customer Care, saying I wanted them to fix car.  Started phoning them.  Officer in charge of my case never available, never phoned back.
Contacted Qld Regional Manager (QRM).  He said to take car to Westpoint for diagnosis at no expense to me, and that Westpoint could get help from Hyundai Qld technicians.  QRM said that there were only 3 possibilities:-
After the inspection but before I picked the car up he rang and said that investigations revealed that there was nothing wrong with car, but that he would help me buy another Hyundai until 31/12/2017.  My calculation of max value of help $1500.
Picked up car.  Report said that further investigation could not be done until clutch was replaced.  It was reported to me that the Hyundai technicians know of the problem and that their comment was that if the clutch was replaced the problem “went away”.  Very reassuring!
Clutch replaced by outside mechanic: $1000+.  Some improvement noticed.  The vibration seems to have diminished to a quiet roar until we induced it at the same revs in 4th gear, where it is still obvious but to a lesser extent.  My neighbour, who deals in cars, thought it sounded/felt like an exhaust bracket problem, so I’m taking it in to have this checked out.
I have sent a complaint to Fair Trading Queensland, based on the problem not being unique, and that I followed their instructions to take car to a dealer.  The least I want is a refund of $937, unproductively spent on their instructions.  Waiting time for response..up to 10 days.  We’ll see.
The clutch plate, which I got back from the mechanic, has smaller springs inside 2 opposite main springs, and the other 2 contain hollow metal cylinders, both of which show signs of a surface spiral.  They are free to rattle round inside the main spring, and seem to serve no purpose other than to maybe counter balance the 2 inner springs.  I have attached 2 photos. Does anybody know what they are there for?
Ever onward, but one thing; I will never buy a Hyundai manual or a diesel again.
P.S. Sorry about the photos. Our techknowledge (like that?) only lets us post photos in JPG. Hopefully someone can work from my description. W.

use imgur to upload , then copy and paste BB code forums,  :weneedpics:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hey Warner,
I give you top marks for persistence, and thanks for the detailed update.  :goodjob2:
A couple of anomalies jumped out.
QRM said that there were only 3 possibilities:-
This QRM sounds like a top public servant. He rats on about the bloody obvious, but then slips up by indicating where he wants the issue to end...'Nothing Wrong', as advised.
However,
Report said that further investigation could not be done until clutch was replaced.  It was reported to me that the Hyundai technicians know of the problem and that their comment was that if the clutch was replaced the problem “went away”. 
The technician(s) are clearly contradicting their QRM.
@Warner  , I am assuming that the clutch that was replaced was not slipping. A written report from the mechanic to that effect would strengthen your Fair Trading complaint. As discussed previously, with clutch pedal disengaged, the clutch driven plate is locked tight to the flywheel by the clutch pressure plate. Any vibration it generates (due imbalance) would be a manufacturing defect.
The spring set up you describe is common to most clutch plates. As you will note, it is quite a light component. The flywheel that it engages is about 15kg. (guess)
Your dealer mate may be noting something of relevance. While I doubt exhaust brackets ( the exhaust hangs from rubber rings) he may be listening to /or feeling some resonance. This was nagging me while I was doing the earlier research.. Similar to a musical instrument, when a body part , exhaust or similar is vibrated at the correct frequency, it can suddenly emit a sound.
Many years ago, I was involved in the export of some newly manufactured equipment. We used an audio frequency generator to test for component oscillation caused by frequencies from below to beyond the human hearing range. Cabinet panels could emit extremely loud noises. No one unit was the same.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 22:32:52 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal