i30 Owners Club

Door edge protectors

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have quite a narrow carport and it's not easy trying to get a baby into the back of my wagon without the doors hitting the wall. The doors on my old car are ruined (thanks to the misses..)

The option's I can think of are to:
a) put some kind of clear rubber all the way around the carport so the door opens onto this rather than the wood. Maybe something cheap from Clark Rubber.
b) buy some door edge protectors and put these on the wagon. Not ideal to deface my lovely i30 but it may be the easier option..

Has anyone had any luck with door edge protectors that look nice, function and also don't just fall off? Something small and non-noticable would be good, maybe clear ones or even these small WRC ones look nice:
:link: 4 Pieces Carbon Fiber WRC CAR Side Door Bumper Edge Protector Trim 3M Sticker AU | eBay

Any thoughts appreciated, and also if anyone knows how much extra power the WRC protectors will give my engine?  :P
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I park in a narrow driveway so the first thing I did after I bought my car was to fit clear door protector strips on every door. They are almost invisible on casual inspection, have stayed in place (without glue) ever since and I have no chips in the paintwork.

I cannot remember what brand I used but this stuff looks to be similar -

:link: Amazon.com: Car Clear Door Edge Trim Guard Molding All Models D.I.Y. Kit: Automotive

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The carport at my girlfriends house is really narrow, the first thing I did was silicon a couple of foam floor mats either side as I didn't want to stick anything to the car.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
My personal preference would be as Craig has done. Would hate to create a dirt catcher/scratcher on the nice paint.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My personal preference would be as Craig has done. Would hate to create a dirt catcher/scratcher on the nice paint.

:whsaid:

But I hadn't seen those clear edges before. They are not a bad idea either.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal