i30 Owners Club

How do I fasten a strap to hold down the bow of a kayak to my 2013 hatch back

Offline billspin

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I carry a glide 2.93 m sot kayak. I use a soft  roof rack with thro the car webbing straps. I would like to fit a line from the kayak bow to the front of the car. T prevent the bow lifting at speed. Does anyone have a suggestion?  it has been suggested that I could use padded J hooks, under the front wheel wells. Is this feasible? Also where can I buy the padded hooks in Sydney-Australia.
  • hyundai i30 hatch

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I carry a glide 2.93 m sot kayak. I use a soft  roof rack with thro the car webbing straps. I would like to fit a line from the kayak bow to the front of the car. T prevent the bow lifting at speed. Does anyone have a suggestion?  it has been suggested that I could use padded J hooks, under the front wheel wells. Is this feasible? Also where can I buy the padded hooks in Sydney-Australia.

Use the screw in front  towing eye?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Use the screw in front  towing eye?

The problem with the towing eye is that it is not near the centre line of the car.

You can't have your Kayak and cleat it.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm not a fan of the soft racks.
I use a good quality roof rack. Rola in my case but there's also Thule and one sold by Supercheap Autos which is fine.
Over time the soft ones will mark your roof.
I carry 9' surfboards at any legal road speed (maybe not in the NT  :mrgreen:).
And a 16' sit-in ocean kayak at up to 80/90 kph, without a bow strap.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Definitely buy proper roof racks... Just thinking of the scratches on the roof from it make me cringe
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal