i30 Owners Club

Door Handle Scratch Protector which one?

Javich · 4 · 1935

Offline Javich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I am feeling lost with regards to picking a good door hndle scratch protector, any hint would be appreciated.

ebay sells generic ones for less than $2 and probably this one below is no different, the question is which one will work as promised, ie, will be easy to install, stay in place for the years to come and won't turn yellowish through time.

:link: Sydney Car Accessories Interior Exterior Decoration D.I.Y Decor

Anyone has done it? I am not really inclined to put chrome cups as other members have done at least with FDs.

Thanks
Jav
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Elite Tourer (Wagon), Diesel 1.6lt, 7DP Dual Clutch Auto, Red.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I may get some actually. Would these be easy to remove once applied (just in case they look rubbish after install)?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hadn't seen these clear ones before. Not a bad idea, but not a problem in some colours -seem to notice these scratches around the handles more with silver or dark coloured cars more so than my white one. I reckon they would be worth getting if you think you would have an issue with yours long term. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I ordered door handle transparent paint protectors to be fitted when I ordered my new Venga last October.

When I collected the car they had more wrinkles and creases than my 79 year old face. The dealership removed them and had another go - same result.

They told me that the only way to try again would be to remove all the door handles - which required the interior trim to be removed and for which I would have to pay. By all accounts the foil has to be laid in place, sort of rolled onto the surface to avoid trapped air bubbles, very accurately - and you only get one chance. It proved impossible for them to do with the handle in the way.

I thought it a likely tale - perhaps their technician was at fault - so I cancelled the protectors.

I can now believe they had a genuine problem - I recently fitted a head-up speed display to my car which requires a small patch of almost transparent silvered plastic foil to be put onto the windscreen in the appropriate position. It was hell on wheels getting it to lay on the glass free of wrinkles or bubbles which distorted the display. I had to purchase extra plastic foils from China before I got it right.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal