i30 Owners Club

TPMS light...staying illuminated

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
Last week my tyre had a puncture (pressure went down to 23), so called RACV to change to the spare.

My TPMS light has continued to stay illuminated.

Anyway of getting rid of it or do I have to go back to Hyundai?

Usually after filling up my tyres, the light disappears once it has been driven for a few minutes, but not this time.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is the spare still on. That doesn't  have a sensor.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

No, dad took the tyre to get fixed (tube replaced) and the spare went back into the boot.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No, dad took the tyre to get fixed (tube replaced) and the spare went back into the boot.

Hopefully they fitted the TPMS sensor properly when they repaired the puncture!  :confused:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Spare doesn't have a sensor, I'm speaking from my experience. But if you say they repaired your tire, might have not installed it properly, because normally after iu drive some kilometers, must not be on.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N960F folosind Tapatalk

• 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
If the tyre repairer had to fit a tube, they would have removed the TPMS sender unit which is attached to the original valve stem internally, they are basically one unit
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If the tyre repairer had to fit a tube, they would have removed the TPMS sender unit which is attached to the original valve stem internally, they are basically one unit
Let's hope they didn't discard it!  :sweating:

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Resolved.......light is off but the dickheads at the tyre place inflated the tyre to 42!  The rest are 32/33.

But I'll take note of the above for future reference.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What did they do? Return the RC valve to the tyre?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent.  Dickheads is such a universal word.  :goodjob:

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

What did they do? Return the RC valve to the tyre?

I guess so????

guest12451
Not trying to resurrsect an old thread - but not worth a new one - kind of poor that Hyundai don't put TPMS in the spare - I rotated it in with my active use tyres and as such can look forward to the TPMS warning msg for the next 30,000km or so!  Seems very cheap and nasty and the alternative is not using your spare ever (except in emergencies) which is a waste as well (the spare tyre will eventually 'die' from aging.  No much of a pITA to go and get tyre changed out off rim so sensor can be moved - poor work Hyundai.....maybe there were technical reasons that limited this but I am sure they could have found a workaround,

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The SR is my first car out of over 30 to have TPMS. It would be interesting to hear from some European (or even UK  :winker: ) members where it has been a popular feature for some time how many affordable cars have a TPMS valve in the spare. I have no idea if it is the norm or an exception to the rule. I imagine dearr cars like BMW and Mercedes probably do.?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Maybe get dealer to do rotation,  then go wtf , fix it. :undecided:
OR,
can you buy another tpv  and sync it ??
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The SR is my first car out of over 30 to have TPMS. It would be interesting to hear from some European (or even UK  :winker: ) members where it has been a popular feature for some time how many affordable cars have a TPMS valve in the spare. I have no idea if it is the norm or an exception to the rule. I imagine dearer cars like BMW and Mercedes probably do.?

Most classy cars have a space saver spare. My vintage Z3 has 'TPMS' connected to the  spare. Its tube and a valve just behind the rear bumper.  :evil: Have to bend down to check it.  :scared: :scared: :faint:
Taking up Nikko's suggestion about an unused spare; most of us want to get rid of the original tyres and run better gripping and less noisy rubber. Therefore, most i30s are trotting around with an unused Hangthecook in the back.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

guest12451
Taking up Nikko's suggestion about an unused spare; most of us want to get rid of the original tyres and run better gripping and less noisy rubber. Therefore, most i30s are trotting around with an unused Hangthecook in the back.
I agree a lot of OEM tyres are pretty grim - that said in my brief time with the Ventus Prime 2's (which I don't think were the Hankook model used on the entire range of i30's) - they're pretty reasonable and while I wouldn't buy again, they're well above average (IMHO).

On a side note, Hankook might have been poorly regarded a while back but they're seen by industry experts as top tier now.
Hankook Premium Maker

Whether to rotate the spare in or not is a funny one - IMHO its a no brainer as otherwise it's 20% of your overall tyre expenditure wasted (assuming that the tyre dies of old age rather than use) plus no good having a 'good' tyre in the boot and 'shabby' one on your car - so I've always liked to rotate them in - the side benefit is that way you know your spare is ready to go - interestingly I was told many moons back that one of the mistakes folks make is they so neglect their spare that on the rare occasion they have to use it it'll be near unusable as it's so underinflated or deteriorated.  So I always like to jack my spare up to mid 40's PSI so that I can deflate down to suitable pressure, though I generally carry a lil pump in the car for emergencies - though in my 20yrs+ of driving I've only had one flat tyre.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
New FD owners regularly complained about internal road noise. To a lesser extent GDs had the same problem. Solution = get new quiet tyres.
You allude to the fact that Hankook, along with other manufacturers are redesigning their tyres. Therefore, replacing and keeping a matching set can be expensive to near impossible.

IMHO, :cool: I want the best tread on my front tyres. I dont 'rotate' them . Especially, given that the i30 front is doing all the work, I put 100% new tyres on the front and the now 70% front tyres go to the rear.

The virginal Hankook stays put and I go out at night and throw the two old rears on someone's front lawn.

That way I feel safe on the road and also, some old fart can have another rant on Facebook about thoughtless hoons.  Everyone has been satisfied. :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

guest12451
New FD owners regularly complained about internal road noise. To a lesser extent GDs had the same problem. Solution = get new quiet tyres.
I don't doubt it - very common complaint by owners of most cheaper cars. Different tyres might have assisted but I've no knowledge of that and again I'm pretty certain the Ventus Prime 2's weren't OEM on many i30 models - I believe it was the HK Optimo's and also Kumho's.  I know some tyres can be really bad with road noise but out of all the tyre 'criteria' thats the one that is for me anyway, lowest on the priority list - it's handy to have but not at the expense of any other factor e.g longevity, ride comfort etc/

Therefore, replacing and keeping a matching set can be expensive to near impossible.
If you're using directional tyres or a 4WS car, I understand matching tyres is essential but otherwise unsure why it'd be a 'must' do?  That said it's not something that factors into my modus operandi as I tend to rotate all 5 tyres - retain the best one of the 5 as the spare and replace all other 4 at once. Which tends to work in with the now pretty common buy 3 get 1 free promos etc.  I can see how this might be an issue if you're only replacing 2 at a time (as you prefer) though.

IMHO, :cool: I want the best tread on my front tyres. I dont 'rotate' them . Especially, given that the i30 front is doing all the work, I put 100% new tyres on the front and the now 70% front tyres go to the rear.
As long as that works for you. Yes, best tyres on the front I think is 'standard' best practice regardless of it being FWD or RWD vehicle as the fronts always steer. Not that I'm trying to 'sell' you on rotating (even if you don't use the spare) but only flipping the fronts to the back without switching sides will possibly accentuate uneven wear - meaning the tyres might become 'unusable' well before they would have with rotation - as they don't need to be 'bald' all over to be illegal - i.e a tyre with great tread all over but bald at the outer edge is still illegal.   And I'm just saying illegal as the standard - I don't think many folks in here are silly enough to use every last bit of life in their tyres just to save a few cents.  I do the rotation myself , but of a PITA but many folks might be lucky enough to get done for 'free' at time of servicing etc.

Like I said I am not saying your system is 'wrong' as it works for you and thats all it needs to do. :-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I usually get my tyres rotated 2 or 3 times during their life span. I used to include the spare but these days just go front to back and leave the spare untouched.

With the last few cars I've kept long enough for new tyres, they have pretty much all ended up requiring replacement at the same time. That is my preference for the reason stated by Nikko and the fact i can get a full set of whichever brand I like.  :goodjob: The length of time I usually keep my cars my spare isn't going to go "off". I also tend to put a bit of extra air in the spare just in case.  :victory:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't doubt it - very common complaint by owners of most cheaper cars. Different tyres might have assisted but I've no knowledge of that and again I'm pretty certain the Ventus Prime 2's weren't OEM on many i30 models - I believe it was the HK Optimo's and also Kumho's.  I know some tyres can be really bad with road noise but out of all the tyre 'criteria' thats the one that is for me anyway, lowest on the priority list - it's handy to have but not at the expense of any other factor e.g longevity, ride comfort etc/
Having been involved in the tyre industry for most of my life and spending a significant portion of that time involved in testing and evaluation of tyre treads and construction I'd have to say there's a fair bit more to this. In tyre design, the sidewall construction, belts, undertread and the tread design (and rubber consistency) all have a bearing on tyre noise. Yes, some surfaces are worse than others and in fact different tyres react differently depending on the surface on which they run. It probably won't surprise readers to know that the components of each of the above elements can be sourced cheaply or at great expense. No prizes for guessing why some tyres are cheaper than others.
I don't put tyre noise high on my priorities either but longevity isn't as important to me as grip.
As an aside, many of the elements used to keep road noise to a minimum can also have a bearing on ride comfort.

Therefore, replacing and keeping a matching set can be expensive to near impossible.
If you're using directional tyres or a 4WS car, I understand matching tyres is essential but otherwise unsure why it'd be a 'must' do?  That said it's not something that factors into my modus operandi as I tend to rotate all 5 tyres - retain the best one of the 5 as the spare and replace all other 4 at once. Which tends to work in with the now pretty common buy 3 get 1 free promos etc.  I can see how this might be an issue if you're only replacing 2 at a time (as you prefer) though. I sometimes replace just two but I have a preference for four. But that's really just a personal preference. There are a host of factors which need to be taken into account when making that decision (or whether to do 4 or 5, for that matter)

As long as that works for you. Yes, best tyres on the front I think is 'standard' best practice regardless of it being FWD or RWD vehicle as the fronts always steer. Not that I'm trying to 'sell' you on rotating (even if you don't use the spare) but only flipping the fronts to the back without switching sides will possibly accentuate uneven wear - meaning the tyres might become 'unusable' well before they would have with rotation - as they don't need to be 'bald' all over to be illegal - i.e a tyre with great tread all over but bald at the outer edge is still illegal.   And I'm just saying illegal as the standard - I don't think many folks in here are silly enough to use every last bit of life in their tyres just to save a few cents.  I do the rotation myself , but of a PITA but many folks might be lucky enough to get done for 'free' at time of servicing etc.

Like I said I am not saying your system is 'wrong' as it works for you and thats all it needs to do. :-) Even now, I'll occasionally rotate my own tyres on jacks and stands in the garage but it's as much about being able to visually scan the tread in it's entirety and the sidewalls for damage as anything else. I pay to have my cars serviced these days and generally tell them to leave the tyres where they are. Tread wear assessment is my way of picking up early any mechanical issues.
In actual fact, these days it is industry practice to fit new tyres to the rear. Most if not all major manufacturers have product bulletins advising this. the theory (maybe enforced by insurance companies) is that it's better to go off the road forwards than backward. To put that another way, it's supposedly easier to control understeer than oversteer. However, most tyre technicians will still prefer the new to front policy.
As do I simply because as Gary said, the front tyres do all the work. Especially steering and braking. You don't want a steer tyre failing for any reason).

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah tyres, that gem of a topic that just keeps on giving. For a couple of weeks now I'd noticed an increasingly severe front wobble and despite looking like a good amount of even wearing tread, the front left had developed bad enough wear to create a bald spot, and both fronts had developed light and dark patches on the sidewalls that I then felt to be blistering. I put the new spare on the left and swapped the right to the rear.

Just goes to show that tyres wear over enough kms whether it's tread or something else. Since new, anything that has ever felt worn, noisy or not right otherwise has always come back to tyres. Time to book an alignment and fitting of the other two new tyres waiting in the shed.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

fitting of the other two new tyres waiting in the shed.

More "deluxe" diamondbacks?  :confused:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

I wish. The problems have been with every other brand. I bought 4 Kumhos 60,000 km ago on a deal but put 2 on. The other two still going strong were and are the Diamondbacks.

They'll probably outlast this next pair! :crazy1:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
The SR is my first car out of over 30 to have TPMS. It would be interesting to hear from some European (or even UK  :winker: ) members where it has been a popular feature for some time how many affordable cars have a TPMS valve in the spare. I have no idea if it is the norm or an exception to the rule. I imagine dearr cars like BMW and Mercedes probably do.?
Mine doesn't have a TPMS in the spare. I found out when I put it on the car as I wanted to rotate the wheels, including the spare. Therefore I don't use it anymore. It's just staying in the trunk as it's to difficult to always remove a sensor from the other wheels.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N960F folosind Tapatalk

• 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I wish. The problems have been with every other brand. I bought 4 Kumhos 60,000 km ago on a deal but put 2 on. The other two still going strong were and are the Diamondbacks.

They'll probably outlast this next pair! :crazy1:
Those Kum-hos will be well cured.  :victory:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Those Kum-hos will be well cured. 
:goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
. I pay to have my cars serviced these days and generally tell them to leave the tyres where they are. Tread wear assessment is my way of picking up early any mechanical issues.
In actual fact, these days it is industry practice to fit new tyres to the rear. Most if not all major manufacturers have product bulletins advising this. the theory (maybe enforced by insurance companies) is that it's better to go off the road forwards than backward. To put that another way, it's supposedly easier to control understeer than oversteer. However, most tyre technicians will still prefer the new to front policy.
As do I simply because as Gary said, the front tyres do all the work. Especially steering and braking. You don't want a steer tyre failing for any reason).
[/color]
[/quote]

Same for me I cannot come to grips (  :mrgreen: ) with the new at rear theory.  I also like to check for tell tale signs on tread, but also do my own servicing ( at 10,000 km intervals ) so I have a crawl around underneath .
Having also saved myself the cost of servicing I can afford to buy one new tyre and I know that I did get synthetic oil.  :victory:

That leads me back to rotating the wheels and trying to get the max mileage out of your tyres.
Arguably, good tread is probably going to get a competent driver out of trouble before the new brakes take affect.

The longer you run your 5 tyres, the harder the rubber becomes. The depth of tread is hardly relevant on a slick surface. Anyone who has driven a ute with 2 year old tyres will know how the handling goes from normal to lethal when there is a shower of rain.

My Hilux ute is about to get its 3rd set of tyres.  The previous 2 sets still had about 50% tread.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi lux ute! I thought you had an old Magna as your work vehicle! How many registered vehicles does a semi retired old kiwi need!  :Shocked:  :snigger:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 Quote:
"  Anyone who has driven a ute with 2 year old tyres will know how the handling goes from normal to lethal when there is a shower of rain. " Unquote.

It's a  UTE !!
It's  supposed to be SIDEWAYS in the rain !!
or the grass, or the dirt , or  the mud.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:   
 :evil: :evil:    :happydance: :happydance: 

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi lux ute! I thought you had an old Magna as your work vehicle! How many registered vehicles does a semi retired old kiwi need!  :Shocked:  :snigger:
Magna is the office. Lux is the work horse. semi retired??  :crazy2: I spent last week on the tools, now have another 30 sq meters of covered area for said vehicles. Enjoyed the exercise too.  :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal