i30 Owners Club

Malfunctioning Clutch Actuator and Factory Warranty

Offline BenL5102

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney,
Hi all,

I bought my 2015 Diesel i30 Wagon at the end of 2019. the Factory warranty just expired in August 2020, and then in December i started having issues with the clutch. We have figured out that the clutch actuator needs to be replaced, and because that has broken, the clutch does as well. The Hyundai service center near us has quoted $7500 (Aus) to replace all those parts.

I am mostly curious, is there any reason that the clutch actuator should have failed after only 5 years? is this going to be an ongoing costs consistently? And is it even worth replacing? The car was bought for $12,500, so the repairs are more than half of what we bought it for. The car has 134000 kms on it, and has exclusively been serviced by Hyundai, it has had only 1 previous owner.
  • 2015 i30 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, White

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Are they gold plated clutches in the Diesel I30? :o

I am not sure on these cars but on some of the Toyota diesels they are an expensive replacement as they often have dual mass flywheels which cant be refurbished so need to be replaced each time. Most of those i have seen quoted something like NZ$2.5-3.5k depending on where you take it. AU$7.5k sounds hella expensive to me, might pay to shop around!
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline Bogdan1986

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Denmark
Hi Ben.

I don't know when it is normal for a clutch actuator to fail, but the quote you got from the dealer seems excessive. I got a quote of about 2000 euro from a dealer in Europe to replace the clutch and bearing, parts and labour included, for an FD i30 wagon. That seemed a little expensive to me, as I searched and found the parts for 300 euro, then paid an independent mechanic to do the job for 500 euro.

Call some independent mechanics, find out what they would charge you. Should be less than the dealer.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

• 2012 FD Estate, 1.6lt CRDi Blue, Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline BenL5102

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney,
The major cost is the clutch actuator, that thing apparently costs over $3500 just in parts plus more for the labour hours. Its also a double clutch which doesn't help.

Mainly trying to see if it's normal that the actuator has malfunctioned after 5 years, they are trying to claim it is wear and tear.
  • 2015 i30 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, White

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
The major cost is the clutch actuator, that thing apparently costs over $3500 just in parts plus more for the labour hours. Its also a double clutch which doesn't help.
I have heard stories about the cost of the double clutch setups, but never had to do one yet so not 100% on the mechanism behind it.

Sorry, not much help.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Have you got the part number for the actuator?

I assume you have the GD facelift  with the 7 speed DCT?

I got the below part number but please do your own research and ensure it's correct before buying.

Even put your VIN into the website below to confirm the part # is correct.

:link: 414702D300 Hyundai / KIA ACTUATOR ASSY-CLUTCH(1), Price: 899.56$, Weight: 4kg - PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

There's some on ebay ~$1300 as well if you don't want to buy from there

Offline Covi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mnt. Isa
can only imagine it is DCT. an expereinced independ workshop can give you a truthful diag and do the job much cheaper
  • 2010 i30 wagon diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal