i30 Owners Club

A little bit more..

Guest · 16 · 5649

Tzukius
Hi guys. 

I own a pair of i30 2009 2ltr petrol SX's.  One is mine, the other is my wife's.  I have noted that the factory power figure for this engine is 105Kw.  I own the vehicles outright but would like a little advise.  I am after a little bit more power.  I have noted that the current 2014 GD 2ltr SR (the only model available in a 2ltr) produces 129kw and was wondering what it would take to get the same from my vehicle; if in fact this is possible?  Both my cars are absolutely stock so I am wondering what the main difference is between the 2ltr FD and the 2ltr GD? 

I guess I am toying with the idea of do I spend money on improving my current FD or should I just wait for the January "End of Model" clearance sales and upgrade the whole package?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
To gain an extra 24kw's ( 32hp ) you would be looking at ECU remapping on a Dyno, an intake kit with exhaust and extractors... somewhere in the region of $2500 to $3000.

So it depends on how much you love your FD's :)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The engine in the 2014 GD SR is a GDi (direct injection), the FD has a MPI.   The 2.0l GDi engine is similar to what is in my Cerato Si.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Tzukius, the new SR would be quite an upgrade from your base model FDs. They have had quite a good suspension tune as well and have extra goodies such as nice factory alloys etc. They are reasonably good value too.

They initially got some very positive review from Caradvice and the like, but Wheels magazine have been quite negative of them after having one on long term test. It was reliable enough but just not very likable in their opinion. 

We have quite a few members with them and they seem happy enough.

In summary I would say take one for a good test drive and if you like it then under 25K driveaway should be your target price.

:link: 2013 Hyundai i30 SR MY14

I'm not a big fan of throwing big dollars at a secondhand car to upgrade it. If you upgrade the engine performance you need to also upgrade the brakes etc.. and can end up with insurance and warranty issues too (and you won't get much extra back later when you trade or sell.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Tzukius
Thanks guys.  You've helped me pretty much make up my mind; I will pop down to my local dealer and arrange a test drive and see what kind of deal they are willing to do.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Definitely take one for a drive. And definitely find a nice windy spot to throw it through. Maybe research a route beforehand and drive it a few times in the FD.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
It will be easier to add lightness than to add horsepower

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

It will be easier to add lightness than to add horsepower

What would you recommend removing on a daily driven road car?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Passengers    :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
My i30 came with 24 pounds 17 inch wheels
Changing to 16 pound 16 inch
Replace spare for a bottle of fix-a-flat

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A bottle of fix-a-flat wont help if you blow a tyre :whistler: you can also find lighter wheels in the 17 inch range if you look around, there were several wheels in the racing class that I looked at which were light enough to pick up with two fingers.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

My i30 came with 24 pounds 17 inch wheels
Changing to 16 pound 16 inch
Replace spare for a bottle of fix-a-flat

Fix-a-flat is useless for any high speed blow out.
You'd be hard pressed to get any noticeable gain out of lighter wheels under the owners circumstances. Lighter wheels are great but when you still have to haul the vehicle engine power is what you want.
You would gain in the brakes by using lighter wheels though.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not sure how you would gain on brake efficiency appreciably if you're still braking the vehicle's mass. I guess what you're saying is that, compared to more power, less mass is kinder on brakes. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
In terms of gross weight reduction, probably not much to gain, but the inertia of rotating cast iron rims would be a lot more than plastic rims of the same size, which the brakes would have to deal with.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
What Phil said :)

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
  Lighter wheels will require less power to turn then leaving more for performance. Will you feel it, maybe a bit. For the fix-a-flat we have here some sort of prepaid towing service so actually i won't even need one, i'll just keep my cell phone.
I would work on reducing rotating mass rather than add power since all you will buy/put on it can either be reused on another car or resale when you sell the car. Lightweight pulleys could also help.
Mote that i'm mot saying it will transform an i30 into a rocket but might be enough for the owner.
Note that i tested the new i30 and did not found the added power would compensate for my i30cw practicality...the car actually feels heavier even if it is smaller

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal