i30 Owners Club

Long life coolant for i30 Diesel

Offline i30trev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      perth
Greetings fellow Hyundai owners. I'm planning to change the coolant in my car (2010 i30 Diesel) I'd like to use a coolant that will last for say 5 years and I'm looking for suggestions as to the type and brand.

Also wondering about the best way for a home tinkerer with limited equipment to get the maximum amount of the old coolant out. I was thinking of draining the old then flushing with tap water, them putting a couple of 4 litre demineralised water and then some good quality coolant. Good idea, bad idea? (Is there a radiator drain plug or should I just remove the bottom hose as I used to...

Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks.  Trev
  • 2010 diesel wagon.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I use Nulon One 10 year coolant in mine http://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fluids/engine-oils-fluids/coolant/nulon-coolant-one-concentrate-one-5/p/A5303427?kwSearch=Nulon%20One

The GD model has a tap on the radiator though I'm unsure if the FD is the same :undecided: you would probably get a little more out by dropping the hose.

I personally drain mine hot as the thermostat remains open a little, also turn the air to hot to clear the heater lines.

Flushing with demineralised water is a good idea :goodjob2: remember to mix the coolant before adding to the engine otherwise you cant guarantee the mixture percentage.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:06:20 by CraigB »

Offline i30trev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      perth
Hi and thanks Craig, most appreciated. Having done a bit of online research I also found this product.

:link: Nulon Anti-Freeze / Anti-Boil Heavy Duty Diesel Coolant - 5 Litre | Supercheap Auto

I am wondering if it is worth it to use this product as it claims to be specifically for diesel engines, any thoughts?

Another one I saw:

:link: Nulon Green Premium Long Life Coolant Concentrate 6 Litre | Supercheap Auto

Is premixed and quite a lot cheaper on special but not specifcally for Diesels, with a 7 year life it will probably not need to be changed before I sell the car...

Trev
  • 2010 diesel wagon.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Any of those should be fine I guess, though the Nulon green you've linked is a concentrate as well.

Penrite also do an 8 year 50/50 premix if you prefer that :link: Penrite Red OEM Coolant Premix 5 Litre | Supercheap Auto

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
When I changed the coolant on my partner's 2011 diesel, I drove the car around until it was up to working temperature, carefully released the header tank cap, then used the drain tap at the bottom of the radiator to drain off as much of the old coolant as I could into a bowl. I then closed the tap and refilled with demineralised water which I heated up on the stove in a big stock pot. Then I drove it for a few miles to make sure the fresh water was distributed evenly around the whole water circuit. I then repeated the exercise a few times until the drained water ran out clear. The first 2 or 3 flushes produced murky brown water but eventually it cleared up, so I was satisfied that most of the sediment was flushed out, and that the concentration of existing coolant would be very low.

On the final fill, I first added enough concentrated coolant to give a 40% ratio, then topped off with more demineralised water. The tap water in my area is very hard which I why I didn't want to use it, and one of the local supermarkets sells demineralised water at a really low price. In total, I used about 20 litres of water.

I found the header tank was pretty dirty and it's hard to tell the level of the coolant through the plastic. in hindsight, I would have tried cleaning up the header tank first.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal