i30 Owners Club

Fit fire extinguisher beneath front passenger seat

TerryT · 5 · 2474

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Saw this ad on eBay :link: Genuine Hyundai PD i30/i30N Fire Extinguisher Bracket | eBay.  It's a floor bracket for the front passenger seat to accept a 1 kg(?) fire extinguisher.

Had similar fitted to my former 2006 street/track WRX STi and thought I'd do the same for the i30.   

So, bought it, received it, fitted it...removed it. 

In my STi, the extinguisher "hid" under the front passenger seat in its normal rail position (see photo) and that was with a 1.5 kg extinguisher. 

Not so lucky with the i30, unfortunately.  IMO, there is too much extinguisher showing with the seat in the normal rail position for my wife (and others) and the seat really cannot comfortably go forward any more. 

IMO, it doesn't look "cool", its visibility makes it HWP bait (Boy-Racer!), and there is an unacceptable risk of damage to the extinguisher and/or injury to a passenger.

So, the extinguisher went the way of all the other crap...into the boot, under the floor.  And, still got room for more stuff.

It is a nicely made floor bracket but, imo, not really worth $70 and does NOT come with a fire extinguisher & bracket..but I wanted it. :)  Anyways, not a total loss, I'm keeping it and will use it for when/if I do some track days when the car has got some mileage on it.

For anyone thinking about buying one of these, best to have the hole centres of the fire extinguisher's bracket match the hole centres of the i30 mounting bracket (which I make 146 mm).  Makes life easier.   My extinguisher bracket had 162 mm hole centres but I was able to fudge around that.   

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 00:13:39 by TerryT »
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Honestly,  don't think 1kg would do much.
 But, if there's flames- make sure everyone's clear and start thinking about the next car.
Won't take much of a fire to write it off.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
I'd prefer to let mine burn whist I ring the insurance company.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Honestly,  don't think 1kg would do much.
But, if there's flames- make sure everyone's clear and start thinking about the next car.
Won't take much of a fire to write it off.

"...don't think 1kg would do much". Agree, but then it's all relative to what the fire event is and where it is.

I know a 1 kg extinguisher won't turn me into firefighter but it will give me 12~13 seconds of "squirt" for that time I need to use it...rather than have nothing!  :)   

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I'd prefer to let mine burn whist I ring the insurance company.

:)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal