i30 Owners Club

Add cruise control the DIY Way !!

batteoui · 180 · 99245

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Hello,
For my first contribution to this wonderful forum, I want to document addition of cruise control to the I30 1.6 crdi the DIY way
In fact, I had my i30 1.6 crdi 115 which was built on November 2009 in Czech Plant. It came with all goodies like Automatic A/Con, Folding mirrors, Bluetooth, Audio controls, Alloy wheels... but no cruise control. I was really mad about it and took me almost 1.5 years searching for this addition. I asked the dealer here in Casablanca about it but he said this was not possible. I looked in Internet and found it can be done aftermarket by a company called Dankar (the kit cost was like 400 €) but it was unavailable in Morocco.
I ended up looking for a way to do it myself and finished having required schematic diagram for the 1.6 diesel engines cruise control.

What you will need to buy is the cruise control switch on the steering wheel (costed around 35 USD here), and some wires. You then take your courage and proceed with switch mounting (the same process that applies to audio switch which you can find here in the forum) and bring three wires to engine ECU for turning on cruise and two others for instrument panel indication

For now, I succedded into turning the cruise control on but need to add additional two wires for the cruise indication to lit in the instrument panel (I will be doing this shortly).

I will try to add pictures of this mod in coming posts .

Kind regards !

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 16:22:40 by batteoui »

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Sounds good.  :goodjob2:
I'm interested to learn is it possible for mine or not. 

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
is there a posibility of a larger schematic drawing, im finding it hard to read clearly.
Sounds very interesting. More information when finished, with pictures if possible
Thank You,

also a lot of dedication there
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Not sure if the cruise can be turned on on all 1.6 crdi engines (But I assume the ECU have the cruise control fonction but only needs to get the correct signal from switch to turn on).
A first inspection you can do to see if you have a chance to have the function activated.

1. You have a 1.6 crdi engine (U or U-2)
2. Flash a light in instrumentation panel and see if you have the "CRUISE" and "SET" bulb
3. Look under the clutch pedal and see if you have a switch contact on top (this informs the cruise function to disengage if gear is changed)
4. Verify your clock spring and if it has required contacts (see the topic about audio switch in the forum for more info)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

I also would like to have the cc installed, but was told that it would cost approx 800 Euro  :Shocked: so I just forgot about it again.

Maybe I should try to DIY, when the summer comes back.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent Batteoui  :goodjob:

So you are confident you can make it work exactly like a factory one with safety cutoff when you tap the brake?

It was a glowing omission when the CRDi was first released in OZ too..  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Hi Dazzler
So far it is actually working like factory one. Indeed, it is a factory feature that only have been re-activated. Actually braking makes the cruise stop operation as well as pushing clutch pedal and the cancel button on the steering wheel.
All the buttons of the cruise switch work according to the I30 user manual.
I only wait until the weekend so I can finish the setup and have the indication on instrumentation panel to work. I'll be posting a complete tuto with pictures on how did I proceed and for all of the forum members that wish to proceed with this mod.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
great info bat.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:  I've moved the topic into the how to section.  :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Batteoui well done. Where did you get the wiring diagram from? I'd like a link to the site please.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Wiring diagrams can be found on hyundai service website at service.hyundai-motor.com
Payment nevertheless is required to give access to their information. I think they charge 5 euro for an hour and up to 900 euro for a year. but you'll find the most complete info from shop manual to TSB .

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 16:24:40 by batteoui »

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Hi

I also would like to have the cc installed, but was told that it would cost approx 800 Euro  :Shocked: so I just forgot about it again.

Maybe I should try to DIY, when the summer comes back.
It's very labour intensive Asterix, most of this cost will be for labour. :(
I was toying with the idea myself, but the cost put me off

Hyundai have actually stopped offering cruise control for the i30 as an accessory, not sure weather you can purchase the required parts from the dealer.
IN regards to the tell-tale light, I have seen it done with the simple addition of a small green LED mounted on the plastic surround infront of the speedo :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazzler
So far it is actually working like factory one. Indeed, it is a factory feature that only have been re-activated. Actually braking makes the cruise stop operation as well as pushing clutch pedal and the cancel button on the steering wheel.
All the buttons of the cruise switch work according to the I30 user manual.
I only wait until the weekend so I can finish the setup and have the indication on instrumentation panel to work. I'll be posting a complete tuto with pictures on how did I proceed and for all of the forum members that wish to proceed with this mod.

That will be wonderful  :happydance: You will become a very popular member if you do that  :mrgreen:

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Sorry guys. Had to remove the wiring diagram due to copyrights !

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Going to be a lot of website forums in trouble then, a lot of schematic posted online, you could re-post it? as long as you claim where it came from, a link to the website etc, it should be okay?? Shambles?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Shambles can you roll the site back 24 hours I forgot to keep a copy of that diagram  :undecided: :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
We've had to take plenty of Hyundai info off our forum (TSBs anyone?) in the past 2-3 years as it is indeed proprietary info protected under copyright :(.

A licence is granted to subscribers to Hyundai's online service to hold a single copy of any material made available under the terms of that licence, but not to reproduce such material. So I guess if batteoui hadn't removed it we'd have yet another HMA/HMCA notice to contend with, eventually.

No, we don't have a copy of the diagram on site  :blubber:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Am I going crazy, or have the wire connection references in the text, been removed also :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Am I going crazy, or have the wire connection references in the text, been removed also :question:

Possibly (on both counts :P), although this might help...

...I'll be posting a complete tuto with pictures on how did I proceed and for all of the forum members that wish to proceed with this mod.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Dunno:  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Helllloooooo everyone !!

As promised, here comes my tuto regarding cruise control activation on i30 1.6 crdi but before doing that please read this disclaimer carefully :

1.All information presented here-in is from personal experience. I can not guarantee the same mod will work for you
2. By doing this mod, just forget about your Hyundai Warranty (I lost mine anyway by not servicing the car at the dealer's workshop  :p)
3. I didn't make any references to which pin is which number so I highly recommend you get the wiring diagram from hyundai service website. they will ask you to pay them but it's worth it and you have more than required info) or if you grab a copy of the diagram over the internet, make it at your own risk. Sorry can't post the wiring diagram in this tuto  :whistler:

Ok, first of all, I want to thank agentr31 for his excellent tuto about mounting audio controls to the i30. It inspired me to mount the cruise controls

For this mod, you'll need to buy the steering wheel control from Hyundai as the one in the picture

(In fact, as I didn't find the version of the switch that have only cruise function, I bought the version with cruise and speed limiter but there is a tricky modification you should do to the switch :
The button which activates speed limiter (the upper one) may certainly not be recognizable by the engine ECU, so I decided to modify the PCB and eliminate its resistor (2200 Ohm) and connected its internal wires to another resisor (3900 Ohm) which corresponds to the button that activates cruise function (This way, the two buttons do the same thing. Very tricky  ! :cool:)
Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the PCB at that time so can't really help you, but you'll see it's a relatively easy operation once you open the switch)
First step then to start with is mounting the switch to the steering wheel (agentr31 has already explained in detail how to undo the airbag wires and mount the audio controls so it is exactly the same process)

Now, if you buy also the correct wiring loom (I don't have its part number) it's just simply easy to connect both audio controls and cruise controls into a single connector. That was not unfortunately my case, so I had to slightly modify the switch to add my own wiring loom to share with audio control loom and into the single white connector)
You can see in the following pics the modification I did to the switch :

Now assuming you have the correct clock spring, you simply get the wires from the back of the clock spring and head on to the ECU. Remember, there is 3 wires to connect to the ECU (Find the numbers in the wiring diagram)
So, once you have your 3 wires, find a way to bring them to the engine compartment (that was really pain in the *** to get the wires to the engine compartment as I didn't find a way to it so I simply brought them from under the dash, off the door and into the engine compartment; here is the pics )

Ok, now the most painful part (especially for me I didn't have the correct little pins to get to the ECU connector so had to impovise a way to make contact. Guess what !! Connection to the ECU pins are simple wires stuck into the female pin connector  :mrgreen: Now when I say I was mad about cruise, I really mean it, see what I've done  :evil::

Yep, this is a little wire hanging from the connector, I made sure to bring it a little backward so it won't mess with other pins, it is safe in the female pin connector and makes contact at the same time with the male connector. Well.... what to say ... very artisanal :sweating:  but that works

Enough talking ! what you should do :

1. Get the lever up of the ECU connector until you hear a click . The connector can be safely removed from the female housing. Cut the plastic tie in its cover, and insert a small screwdriver on the cavity of the cover and pull it toward you (here is the link to the ECU connector, you will find very detailed info about it :
http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/284743-1

2. Free space to three of  your wires, pins or whatever ... to get contact with the pin connector. The tricky part is to have a long jaw tool to extract the plastic cover which is sticking into your future wires places

See that little long black and white plastic ? This is the type of things to remove. Don't be afraid to pull at all your strenghth though

2. Insert the wires, the pins or whatever in place and connect to the wires you brought from the clock spring

Here is how it looked like once evrything in place

Now I consider all this, is the first part of the mod and this is actually activating the cruise function (shame on hyundai though not to have offered this addition at the beginning). All safety features are working : brake, clutch pedal, cancel button. I'm a happy i30 owner now and considering how much I paid for this mod, I'm more than happy with it (budget : less than 38 $  :D

The second part of the mod is getting the indication lamp work. I tried to activate it this afternoon but couldn't although i brought in and connected all the wires to instrumentation panel according to diagram. I need to even dig for it in the diagrams as I found there is different connection places that are documented by hyundai especially in the MFI section, so I assume I connected the wired  to the wrong place or there is another connection to be done  but I will definately be doing it. Here is some pictures I took this afternoon of me trying to activate the second part of the mod :

Ok. I'm tired now and it's already being late. I will try to add further information of the second part of the mod once I have time to do it. But in the meanwhile, enjoy your almost free addition of cruise control to our beloved i30.

Good night !
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:05:44 by batteoui »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That was wonderful  :happydance: Thanks so much for doing that  :hatoff:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Fantastic writeup - very easy to follow :goodjob:

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Hello,

I tried to sort out the cruise indication light on the instrument cluster and got the instrument cluster removed from dashbord and opened. I then discovered that the SMD leds are not soldered in nor their corresponding resistors and diode.
I would ask if anyone knows how to pull the instrument cluster needles out (tachometer, RPM counter, temperature and fuel indication), coz I've tried but didn't want to push any further risking to brake them.

Thanks.

Offline ramunask

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Vilnius
Batteoui, thanks for great information you provided here, just to double check, does your car has U or U2 engine? I’m asking this because in Hyundai service site they provide cruise control diagram for 2009> 1.6 diesel  engine, but for 2008 there is only cruise control for petrol car (mine is 2008 1.6 diesel 85kW 115 PS Korean build). But when looking into ECM pinout for the same 2008 diesel, there are pins assigned for cruise control: 14 – Cruise GND, 15-Cruise switch, 24 – Cruise switch power, 49 – cruise SET lamp, 91 – Cruise MAIN lamp. I have checked the ECM connector on my car, and all these pins are free, stuffed with plastic inserts. In cruise control diagram for 2009 car, for engine D4FB pins 9, 89 , 50 , 51 of ECM connector CUD-K and pin 44 of connector CUD-A are for cruise connection ( and those pins are already occupied in my car). I suppose you used those last ones? If your car has U2, then it makes sense why it is different from 2008 engine. By the way, Hyundai service site makes even more confusion, from model list they have i30 (FDe) with model year list 2009-2012,  i30 (GDe) with model year 2013 and i30/elantra neos (FD) with model year 2008-2012.  FD and FDe have overlapping model years, and for example they have cruise control diagram for year 2009 FDe cars, but not for 2009 FD. I think those are chassis codes, but anyone knows what is the difference between FD and FDe with overlapping model years?

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
hi ramunask. I have indeed a U2 engine but I believe that cruise control diagram is valid for both U and U2 engines.  I used the pinout numbers 9, 89, 50 from CUD-K to power up the cruise control function and 44 (CUD-A) and 51 (CUD--K) to have the indication on the instrument cluster.
Electric diagram for indication light on the other hand is somewhat bizarre for me (LED is placed between the resistor terminals) don't know if anyone with electrics understaning can say what this kind of setup is supposed to do (attached diagram).

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Just taught it was interesting to post a photoreport on instrument cluster dismantling and take the occasion to ask for help regarding resistor values.
Here is what the instrument cluster looks like from behind

You can simply detach plastic clips to have the instrument cluster opened :

Here is what the PCB looks like :

A closeup

And here is the indication fr cruise :

Can anybody with installed cruise control please tell me the resistors values for the resistors that are in red and yellow circles ? There is a really tiny resistor besides a bigger one, please let me know what are the numbers written on them (As I want to be sure about what resistance is needed there). Thanks.

Those are the type of diodes used before the current goes to ECU (do anyone knows about their specifications ?)

And here you can see the SMD LED (notice there is no led in there for the cruise light)

Didn't removethe gauge needles. Those are the stickiest things I ever seen and didn't want to push any further in order not to brake them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thanks for the Photos not something we would often see... :D

Offline ramunask

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Vilnius
this parallel resistor drops voltage on LED , probably LED's nominal voltage is less then supplied (as I see from diagram it gets +12 V from Fuse box, I guess it's way too much for SMD LED. The second resistor connected in series is for current limitation.
And I doubt that pinouts for U and U2 are the same, at least I'm prety sure it's different on my car. I have checked on my ECU connector CUD-K, the pins 9, 89, 50 ,51 are occupied by wires, and the diagram of ECU in hyundai service site shows that these pins are used for totally different purposes. Were all these pins free on your connector? As I said, there is quite a mess on that site, I guess you have chosen i30 (FDe) as a model there, but it starts from year 2009. I have checked i30 / elantra (FD), that one starts from 2008, but also has 2009 up to 2012, and here they provide different pins for cruise (in fact they are the same as for D4EA engine in the diagram you used as it contains info for both D4BF and D4EA). So I guess I'll have to give it a try myself if my ECU has cruise control software inside. Now about the indication on instrument panel: did you try to measure voltage between these the pins of Cruise ON and Cruise SET pins and positive terminal? It should read some voltage, I guess it should be battery voltage, as from diagram it looks that ECU provides ground when you turn cruise on. At least you will know that the signal from ECU comes to instrument panel.

Offline ramunask

• 2nd Gear

• lt Lithuania
      Vilnius
as for resistors, I think they will be the same as for other indicators LEDs, they should have some marking on them with nominal.

Offline batteoui

• 2nd Gear

• ma Morocco
      Casablanca, Morocco
Yes there is quit a big mess there in hyundai model labelling I guess or there is something weird we can not understand.  On the VIN search feature of the hyundai website, when I search my VIN number, the search returns model FD (i30/elantra neos), but if I look for model FD (i30/elantra neos) I can not find information relative to U-2 engines, where in the VIN parts search feature, it confirms that I have a U-2 engine which is only available if you choose i30 model FDe  :eek:

Something you can pay attention to : Model 2010 for example is for cars that were  produced starting from around august 2009. Isn't that making confusion ? (You can actually know your car production date on the VIN parts search feature on the parts catalogue)

Another mess there is with wiring diagrams for U-2 engines. In the MFI control section, cruise indication light is connecting M01-A connector of the instrument cluster to the ECU, but in the Autocruise diagram, the indications are connected to M01-C connector !! (which I have tested by multimeter and confirm it is connected to M01-C)

Regarding the pins, they were indeed all free on CUD-K (9,50,51,89) and CUD-A (44).
Thanks for the tip regarding voltage measurement. I'll try to do it and thus make sure that I just need to solder in the missing components

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 19:42:36 by batteoui »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal