i30 Owners Club

FD LED Driving Lights Flickering

DCSY · 3 · 1650

Offline DCSY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney NSW
I have a 2010 Hyundai i30cw (4 cyl, 2.0L petrol, auto), and have recently installed a jaycar driving light harness with two small driving lights in it.

Harness :link: 12VDC 30A Dual Relay Wiring Kit Universal | Jaycar Electronics

Driving lights :link: 2,250 Lumen Single Row LED Worklight, Flood Beam, Black | Jaycar Electronics

I wired in like the image below, and everything works as intended when the car is off. However, tonight was the first time I've driven the car at night since the installation so I decided to give the lights a test on some quiet back roads where no other cars were around.

:link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

What my problem is/what I noticed was that when I was accelerating, everything was fine but when I let off the throttle, the LED driving light would flicker, but my high beams were fine as were my low beams. So I turned my high beams off, and used just the switch to turn just the LED light bars on along with the low beam, and the same problem occurred.

I pulled over and checked the wiring connections were tight, and noticed that there was no flicker while I was in park with the engine running. I dropped the car down to first gear, and I could not recreate the problem, but as soon as I put the car back in drive and let off the throttle, the problem came back.

So my thought is that while there is no throttle being applied, the alternator isn't outputting enough power to sufficiently power the relay/lights.

My questions are
1.Is my thinking correct?
2. How can I fix this problem?

Cheers in advance!
  • I30, 2.0 petrol, cw

Offline paulw85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Arncliffe, NSW

• 2012 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Blue
I am no expert, however you may need a Filter on the +ve from the battery.

:link: 20 Amp Car Noise Filter | Jaycar Electronics

• 2012 i30 CRDi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
LEDs are light emitting diodes, so they shouldn't be flickering unless the voltage dips below minimum. It's conceivable that AC noise from the alternator or radio emissions such as ignition system might drop the level enough instantaneously, so the filter is a good idea.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal