i30 Owners Club

White Light Bulbs

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello,
I’m in the UK.
I’m looking for H7 builds that are white instead of yellow. Tried a couple of sets branded at white, but they’re off white / yellow, including Philips.
This is for a 2010 i30 FD UK.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get such a thing and if so where?
Thanks, Jon
  • 2016 i30 Tourer S, Diesel 1.6, Manual, White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Philips have the whitest halogen bulbs on the market, White Vision are 1500Lm at 3700 Kelvin with 450H lifespan, Diamond Vision are 935Lm at 5000 Kelvin with 400H lifespan, when compared to a true white LED bulbs at 6000 kelvin they are still slightly yellow.

There are some halogen bulbs that claim to be whiter by coating the bulbs with more of the blue tint but as a side effect they tend to be not as bright and the more tint seems to shorten the life.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 13:07:54 by CraigB »

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I fitted Osram NightBreakers to my 2008 FD and while they were white enough, they didn't last very long.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I guess to create whiter light - the halogens have to run at a higher temperature - hence the crappy life.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I guess to create whiter light - the halogens have to run at a higher temperature - hence the crappy life.
Not so Alan, you can get the plus 130’s and they’re still the same 3500 kelvin or slightly higher than the standard bulb, only the lumens has changed combined with shorter lifespan "on some brands".

Kelvin differences are purely from the amount and placement of tint used with a xenon gas.

The Philips White vision are the brightest at 1500Lm and Diamond Vision bulbs are 935Lm with shorter lifespan, standard are 1500Lm though lower rated Kevin but longer 1500H lifespan

:link: Compare our Headlights | Philips
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 13:29:43 by CraigB »

Offline mshk99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hello,
I’m in the UK.
I’m looking for H7 builds that are white instead of yellow. Tried a couple of sets branded at white, but they’re off white / yellow, including Philips.
This is for a 2010 i30 FD UK.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get such a thing and if so where?
Thanks, Jon

Hi Jon, you will need bulbs running at 5000K or more to get a satisfactory 'white' light. Some examples on the market are Osram Cool Blue Boost and Philips Diamond Vision.

Note that these maybe not be road legal depending on where you are, and light output is greatly reduced. They are purely for styling.
  • MY17 i30 SR PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal