i30 Owners Club

(AUS) Malcolm Turnbull wins Liberal leadership

rustynutz · 51 · 10456

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
MALCOLM Turnbull will be the next Australian prime minister, after beating Tony Abbott for the Liberal leadership.
The former Communications Minister won the partyroom ballot 54-44.

:link: Malcolm Turnbull wins Liberal leadership ballot | Tony Abbott V Turnbull, LibSpill

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
FFS we've sure had a shitty run in the past 10 years.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Different PM, same shit.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
At least he can string two sentences together.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
uggh! politics, it's interrupting my episode of the Block  :foottap:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
From this distance I get the impression that your PM's rarely get to serve a full term before they are ousted by a coup within their own party. Or am I wrong.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You're not wrong, Alan...Turnbull will be our fifth Prime Minister in 5 years...  :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
At least he can string two sentences together.

:whsaid:

I'm sure Abbott got his Rhodes Scholarship out of a weetie packet. The guy drove me to drink  :fum:

I think the share market should go up on this news!  :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Unfortunately, both sides think only in terms of winning the next election.   No long term vision or planning.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Unfortunately, both sides think only in terms of winning the next election.   No long term vision or planning.
True.
One member even said "Now we can get on with doing what we were elected for. Defeating the Labor Party"

Nononononono!  :crazy1:
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

True.
One member even said "Now we can get on with doing what we were elected for. Defeating the Labor Party"

Who the f**k was that?
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
One guy I know who I know supports Labor - told me he is disappointed...

Something along the lines of 'If you wanted a center-right government, they should have left Abbott in, so Labor would make up the next one'.   Implying if Mr Abbott had been left in it would guarantee a Labor win next election.

I will point out - he is probably right in regards to 'center-right' and Labor... if taken from the traditional left/right political spectrum (a good example is US Democrats/Republicans - both are effectively on the 'right')... and he, himself, is probably Labor Right.

I refrained from pointing out, as I knew what he was trying to say, that what he was saying also implied that: he wasn't sure Labor would win the next election now.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Apparently Bill Shorten snuck himself into the Liberal Party Room and voted for Tony Abbott to remain leader, twice!!

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Apparently Bill Shorten snuck himself into the Liberal Party Room and voted for Tony Abbott to remain leader, twice!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

True.

Who the f**k was that?
Didn't catch it. S8meone being interviewed.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Who the f**k was that?
Didn't catch it. S8meone being interviewed.

Ahh.  My family has/had been involved in campaigning for many years - for an elected representative to say that, even in jest (but I don't think it was), at such a point in time indicates they aren't in it for the right reasons.

Sure 'defeating' the other-side is important... which ever side you are on...  to either continue to progress your policies (either new or existing - so they come to full fruition) if in power; or to stop those you don't agree with if in opposition.

But to state that is why you were elected?   No - that is 'how' you got elected... "you" 'defeated' (by the people choosing you/your party) the other party/ies.  Why is because the people thought you would best represent them.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Found it - Lateline - they were interviewing 'Steve Ciobo' -  :link: Lateline - 15/09/2015: Queensland Liberal MP Steve Ciobo says the party will be ready for the next federal election.

Was part of a slightly longer answer which was "And the party room overwhelmingly wants to get on with the job that we were elected to do, which is to defeat the Australian Labor Party, to provide strong economic stewardship for Australia and to generate jobs for the Australian people."

In that full context it is a little better, but still not great - as in the full context the implication is to defeat the ALP by doing those things, with further implication being the ALP isn't any good at them - but not an odd thing for an LNP Representative to be saying.   However it could be easily taken out of context - which is easier when omitting the end, rather than the middle, of something being said.

It could have been easily put "... which is to provide strong economic stewardship for Australia and to generate jobs for the Australian people, [so] defeating the Australian Labor Party." and given the same implications.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
If you watched Tony Abbott's farewell speech you should have got the message.
Greatly misunderstood, hugely maligned by the left wing media and a man of principal.
He did say that he has never white-anted or leaked information on anyone in his political life and won't be starting now.
Unlike Turnbull.
At the end of the day, the people will get the government they deserve.
At least the leftist ABC will be happy now because as Communications Minister, Turnbull was too weak to take them on over several instances of utterly disgusting, gutter reporting.
So I won't hold my breath that he will now as PM.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I've met Turnbull when he was a QC. We had an IR issue at my workplace and after multiple expensive representations in the conciliation & arbitration commission, we lost every time.

He will find it difficult to relate to the average Aussie IMO.

Being a QC & a politician, I'd take everything he says with a grain of salt.  :fum:

:link: Babies.m4v - Google Drive
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:42:44 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
:link: Babies.m4v - Google Drive

I think in that one some would say Bugs was the left wing media - misconstruing situations.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If you watched Tony Abbott's farewell speech you should have got the message.
Greatly misunderstood, hugely maligned by the left wing media and a man of principal.
He did say that he has never white-anted or leaked information on anyone in his political life and won't be starting now.
Unlike Turnbull.
At the end of the day, the people will get the government they deserve.
At least the leftist ABC will be happy now because as Communications Minister, Turnbull was too weak to take them on over several instances of utterly disgusting, gutter reporting.
So I won't hold my breath that he will now as PM.

Unfortunately politics is, somewhat, about perception - and unfortunately Abbott wasn't perceived well by many.  Likely he is greatly misunderstood and a man of principal - but unfortunately mis-perceptions weren't corrected in the public domain (I won't opinionate if that was due to left wing media).  And I do wonder if principles may have got in the way sometimes.

The whole 'gay marriage' thing... could have been easily overcome by having a 'conscience vote' - if it went through then they could've said "we listened to people, etc.." then at election time chalk it up as an achievement, in the mean time making it a non-issue and potentially regaining any supporters lost by previous position on it.   If it didn't they could still say they listened to the people but unfortunately it didn't pass the elected representatives of the people - strengthening the argument for vote of the people in regards to it.   Instead, the appearance is, he doesn't personally agree with it so... No.

Of course that may not be the case - one of the media conferences last night was by Joyce... where he quite particularly pointed out that it was a "Liberal" leadership change, not a coalition change, that it is a Coalition Government and that without the "Nationals" there is no coalition.  And that the coalition agreement was with the previous "Liberal" leadership - so new discussions were required and conditions would need to be met.  Basically sabre (although ABC used the term 'cage') rattling.  It could be that Abbott couldn't do certain things due to the agreement - but that could have been explained, showing principle, by saying "We are duty bound not to do xyz by the coalition agreement - that is why we are not going to do that, but this instead.".  Of course that could imply dis-agreement/dis-unity.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
A nicely balanced assessment, ibi.
It's a shame more people can't think these through rather than simpy throw mud at the individual or the party.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
A nicely balanced assessment, ibi.
It's a shame more people can't think these through rather than simpy throw mud at the individual or the party.

:ta:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Couple of the better ones so far.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, I like them!  :goodjob:

BTW I vote for the party and what they stand for not the Leader ... I didn't like either of our main choices (of Leader) in the last election..

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Im with you Dazz, we were screwed either way with leaders. I rarely vote for the main parties anyway.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Despite what Dave thinks, the polls have done a huge swing now Turnbull is in charge. He is now clearly the preferred Prime Minister over Shorten and the Liberals are back in front in the Polls (just) :sweating:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Despite what Dave thinks, the polls have done a huge swing now Turnbull is in charge. He is now clearly the preferred Prime Minister over Shorten and the Liberals are back in front in the Polls (just) :sweating:

It's not despite what I think, Dazz, at all.
The early polls would be expected to do that in any case.
But you have to remember that Turnbull appeals to a much broader voter base because not only is he going to attract conservative voters because he is a LNP leader, but he is also palatable to many ALP and Greens voters as well, which should tell you something.
He holds many views that align with Labor/Greens ideologies too, such as climate change, same sex marriage and Australia being a republic to mention just three.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

He holds many views that align with Labor/Greens ideologies too, such as climate change, same sex marriage and Australia being a republic to mention just three.

Two of those align with me and the 3rd I am "on the fence"...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal