i30 Owners Club

Spare Tyre

John B · 10 · 9258

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi guys,  I  am about to fit new tyres onto the Kluger as the ones on there at the moment are Three 2018 Boto sasqua cheap budget tyres from china and one Dunlop Grandtreck that I would say was the original spare ( 2011 ) . In the spare at the moment is one of the Sasqua tyres that has had a puncture repair. My question is am I better off putting the 9 year old Dunlop in the spare or the best Sasqua budget tyre (2018 ) ?  Be interested to know what year tyre you guys are using as a spare. I am tending towards putting the 2018 budget tyre in the spare It will be used just to get me out of trouble and not left on permanently. The Dunlop looks brand new but age is against it and the the Kluger spares are carried under the rear of the car not in the boot. Hoping the tyre guru Mr Surferdude will offer some professional advice. :)

Cheers John.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
John, ditch the Dunlop.

Where is the spare mounted? On the back or underneath?

A little longer than 9 years ago, admittedly, there were issues with people bringing the spare into use and just buying 3 new tyres. We established (unofficially) that the age of the tyre plus the heat it was subjected to when mounted in the sun on the back of the tailgate, was resulting in some pretty full on failures. These were all Japanese Dunlops which I had experience with but I imagine other brands like Bridgestone and Yokohama would have seen the same issues. Probably wouldn't admit it though.

Put simply, the original set would wear out with no problems but the spare, when put on the road, had a limited life expectancy.

I had another instance about 10 years ago where a guy had a tandem trailer on which the two tyres on one side had failed spectacularly in service. All four were a good brand (forget which) and were fitted at the same time some years previously.
Talking to him we worked out his trailer was parked most of the time beside the house where the two tyres which failed were in full sun all day.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Mate, and thank you for the quick reply, left it a bit late to put this post in as I have now booked in for 1pm Qld time to get the new ones fitted. Pleased you recommended ditching the Dunlop as that was my thoughts as well. The Boto Sasque tyres look great but I have doubts about budget tyres, personally I have not heard of these tyres and reviews about them are hard to find. Don't want to find out about them the hard way. Have heard so many stories about tyres over the 6/7 year mark blowing out but try telling my grandsons that  :head_knock: as long as they look ok and as long as the  car keeps going why worry about things like tyres and engine oil etc  :disapp: Thanks for your advice.

Cheers John.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Loving your regular visits now John.. ironic buying a Toyota has made you more active on our site.. But I'm not complaining. Says he who also drives a Toyota.  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Dazz, It is great catching up but I do need to get back to my music before I start forgetting what I have learnt. Getting the Toyota has been a big distraction. I must admit I do feel guilty posing questions seeing I have not been on the forum so much lately but I have missed the friendly banter. Every time I meet someone new they ask me if I am bored being retired, heck no, I seem to have trouble finding a bit of spare time just to sit and have a read. Got my new tires fitted today and if they last the six years I will be 84 years old  :scared: Probably be seeking information about my walking frame then. :lol:
Cheers John
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: John B
if they last the six years I will be 84 years old

At which point we may be calling you "stoop" John B :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Quote from: John B
if they last the six years I will be 84 years old

At which point we may be calling you "stoop" John B :P

:lol:

Stoop or Poop (   compost )  :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know the feeling John. I started a painting of our newest grandson about a month ago and haven't been able to find the time to finish it, or tidy up the garden or...  :-[

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
What colour are you doing him in ?  :D On the serious side some projects get put aside when other priorities turn up.  :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:35:38 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What colour are you doing him in ?  :D On the serious side some projects get put aside when other priorities turn up.  :goodjob2:

Mostly pink..  :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal