i30 Owners Club

Crude oil prices decreasing

FatBoy · 37 · 8780

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As some of you know, I work in the Oil and Gas industry.  Currently the world is experiencing decreasing crude oil prices.  Will this result in lower bowser prices?  I know that down here we have noticed that the price of fuel is less than what it has been.

Thankfully my employer is in a position to benefit from both increasing and decreasing fuel prices.  Increasing prices in the fact that it encourages exploration further out to sea, and we have the helicopters to support that.  Decreasing prices means that they want the most efficient helicopters to support the rigs, and we have the helicopters to support that too.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Our national broadsheets reported yesterday that we expect/anticipate fuel at our pumps to be around the £1/litre mark within 12 months.

Huh - I believe it when I see it.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Our national broadsheets reported yesterday that we expect/anticipate fuel at our pumps to be around the £1/litre mark within 12 months.

It takes months to lower but hours to increase so not expecting it to reduce too much.... from £1.22/£1.24 pl
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The decrease in the price of oil I would suspect has been offset by the decrease in the AUD.

Hopefully the price of oil will continue to drop and we will see some reduction at the pump.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Prices are certainly going the right direction around here...  :mrgreen:

The last few months prices have been around this: 

Diesel 1,82 AUD/0,99 GBP   Petrol (95)  2,09 AUD/1,14 GBP   :happydance:

I think it's 2 years ago the prices were much higher:

Diesel 2,26 AUD/1,23 GBP   Petrol (95)  2,52 AUD/1,37 GBP    :disapp:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Holy crap! you guy's have expensive fuel prices over there :eek: ours have dropped slightly by around 10 cents a litre but I guess it adds up for us with everything being spread out further.

Tomorrows Perth fuel prices in the pic

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Diesel 1,82 AUD/0,99 GBP   Petrol (95)  2,09 AUD/1,14 GBP   :happydance:

here diesel is dearer than petrol.......by 3p to 5p pl
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We've only seen about a 6 to 8c per litre drop in Northern Tassie ( all helps I suppose)

Going rate for 91 ULP is 152.9 (4c cheaper with shopper docket)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I see that people on other forums are complaining because of the increase in excise of 0.5c per litre (or $0.005 per litre).  This increase is insignificant compared to the normal market fluctuations.  I saw one news report where the guy at the service station said that he would have to consider whether he could afford to run two cars with the increase of 40c per week!!  I've also seen others drive an extra 10km to get a savings of 2c per litre.  They need to revisit primary school maths!!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I see that people on other forums are complaining because of the increase in excise of 0.5c per litre (or $0.005 per litre).  This increase is insignificant compared to the normal market fluctuations.  I saw one news report where the guy at the service station said that he would have to consider whether he could afford to run two cars with the increase of 40c per week!!  I've also seen others drive an extra 10km to get a savings of 2c per litre.  They need to revisit primary school maths!!
Couldn't have said it better..  :goodjob:
#storminateacup
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:MeToo:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Won't happen for long. The Govt relies on excise revenue and if that falls, up goes the % to compensate. Or a new tax is created to compensate. The Emergency Services Levy, what a joke. It's skyrocketed here this year and considering it's a levy, it's here to stay. In the future expect to see these new taxes.

Air consumption tax.
Human methane contribution tax.
Rainfall levy.

You can't win.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Good news, everybody!!  I've just done my first full tank in my thumping V8, and the results are great!!  10.8 l/100km combined city/country driving.  The ticketed figure is 12.3 l/100km, so I am very happy!!  Fuel excise, ha!!  I laugh at your rise!!

@Phil, I'm hearing you.  The Government is always trying to raise revenue to pay for the things that it needs.  As the costs of everything goes up, so must revenue.  How do they do that?  Why, by taxing and "levying" to raise money.

If people want the Government to provide services, then somebody must pay for them.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Couldn't have said it better..  :goodjob:
#storminateacup

:agreed:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's great Jamie! My 6 is rated at 9 l/100 kms and I'm getting low 9's and that should improve with mileage. :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Steve you said L? i thought you still use imperial measurement? like mile gallon inch so on?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Fuel is, for some reason, dispensed in litres.

I used to prefer paying by the gallon - you knew where you stood in them thar days.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
They use litres to soften the price hike blow to consumers, most of whom are now well trained, not to think. :fum:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
They use litres to soften the price hike blow to consumers, most of whom are now well trained, not to think. :fum:

Yep. When I first bought petrol it was 5 shillings and tenpence per gallon, which is about 32 pence in decimal currency.

Now it is £5.25 per gallon with the now lower price of £1.18 per litre.

That was quite a while ago (1967 or so) but that is a 16 fold increase. I can't think of anything else which has gone up at that rate.  A pint of beer in a pub has gone up a lot - but only about 12 fold.

Good job I don't do many miles per year or I'd resent it quite a lot. :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:28:01 by diablo »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Mixing litres with other imperial measures like mpg is ludicrous. It will be a wake-up call to so many Brits to realise how simple life is with decimal systems everywhere - I guess the currency already is: it's 100p to the &, isn't it? :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: The Gonz
... it's 100p to the &, isn't it?

Talk to the hand :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Must be a Linux anomaly  :mrgreen:

£

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Quote from: The Gonz
... it's 100p to the &, isn't it?

Talk to the hand :P
Is that the hand with tuffingers and thruffingers? :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good news, everybody!!  I've just done my first full tank in my thumping V8, and the results are great!!  10.8 l/100km combined city/country driving.  The ticketed figure is 12.3 l/100km, so I am very happy!!  Fuel excise, ha!!  I laugh at your rise!!

@Phil, I'm hearing you.  The Government is always trying to raise revenue to pay for the things that it needs.  As the costs of everything goes up, so must revenue.  How do they do that?  Why, by taxing and "levying" to raise money.

If people want the Government to provide services, then somebody must pay for them.

I agree totally. We can start with a revenue tax on all money made here, I'm sick of paying Google and Apple's share.....

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Oil closed below $60 a barrel the other day.  Interesting times.  One of the reasons that I have heard at work is that the price is coming down to force the "small" operators out.  Apparently shale oil cost $70 per barrel to produce, so it is not worth producing that. 

The price will remain low until the little companies are forced out, then the price will go up again.  Supply and demand.  They oversupply, force the price down, force out the little guy, supply decreases, price goes up.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
In many other markets that practice is illegal. :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am really pi$$ed off with the price of petrol in Tassie at the moment .. I saw unleaded all over Melbourne at $1.20.9 we are still paying 1.45.7 or more down here.. They reckon freight accounts for about 3c per litre..  :fum:

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

Must be related to my brother in law, he did that when we was going down south to Torquay, pulled off the motorway and he didn't have a clue where he was going, ended up driving along these county lanes looking for a petrol station for about 25 mins, I was running on fresh air by the time we found one, what a tosser
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Oil closed below $60 a barrel the other day.  Interesting times.  One of the reasons that I have heard at work is that the price is coming down to force the "small" operators out.  Apparently shale oil cost $70 per barrel to produce, so it is not worth producing that. 

The price will remain low until the little companies are forced out, then the price will go up again.  Supply and demand.  They oversupply, force the price down, force out the little guy, supply decreases, price goes up.

It is a battle between the traditional oil cartel and the new US shale fields. I suspect the traditional sellers are looking to knock out the competition, but I don't think the US is rushing to lose their self sufficiency (it makes the Middle East problems redundant). So I suspect the US will throw money to keep their oil fields alive, so the price stays down, but some of the new fields  that were going to come on line, get mothballed due to being uneconomic and bingo increasing demand pushes up the price....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal