Author Topic: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE  (Read 97305 times)

• au Australia
    Sydney
Trying to source the GD-03 unit is becoming harder with lots of GD-01 headunits now approaching max life expectancy :)

I actually had the GD-01 headunit replaced under warranty for Bluetooth problems and audio cutting out occasionally. But in the last 2 months, it started again. First lost FM radio, lost all radio and finally in the last week lost all Audio (Bluetooth/CD). It also often freezes. I pulled it apart hoping the connections were perhaps loose and it all looks fine. Really struggled to remove the screws - Hyundai technicians must have wanted to ensure the headunit will never ever be removed from the car. I needed a cordless drill driver to do it.

If none of the wreckers have this GD-03 unit what are the other options for retaining steering wheel controls and Android Auto + Carplay? I don't want to spend too much but clearly another GD-01 unit is a total waste of money. I don't think they are worth $50
  • 2012 i30 CRDi Active Hatch (GD) + 2015 i30 CRDi Elite Tourer (GD)

• au Australia
    Perth, WA
Trying to source the GD-03 unit is becoming harder with lots of GD-01 headunits now approaching max life expectancy :)

I actually had the GD-01 headunit replaced under warranty for Bluetooth problems and audio cutting out occasionally. But in the last 2 months, it started again. First lost FM radio, lost all radio and finally in the last week lost all Audio (Bluetooth/CD). It also often freezes. I pulled it apart hoping the connections were perhaps loose and it all looks fine. Really struggled to remove the screws - Hyundai technicians must have wanted to ensure the headunit will never ever be removed from the car. I needed a cordless drill driver to do it.

If none of the wreckers have this GD-03 unit what are the other options for retaining steering wheel controls and Android Auto + Carplay? I don't want to spend too much but clearly another GD-01 unit is a total waste of money. I don't think they are worth $50
Stanvac Korean auto wreckers are who I usually recommend, if they don't have any then searching all Hyundai wreckers Australia wide is the next step, you'll require the interconnecting USB lead and AUX/USB module as well for the complete changeover.

• au Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
Hey Guys,

So I managed to finally source a GD-03 from a wreckers on the West side of Melbourne. $200 to come and pull it out myself which was a brilliant deal. It had seen a bit of sun but was in good nick overall and had a go installing him over the weekend.

Did everything including the wiring for the reverse camera and it works brilliantly. Still having a few issues with the passenger side 12V socket which has been dead for some time now but fuses and relays are all good and I even swapped out one from the same wreck but still dead. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Also side note, does anyone else notice the sticker on the Aux/USB port from the GD-03  :lol:

Very happy overall with the install, was super easy with the instructions from this thread. The link for the firmware upgrade didn't work for me but little bit of a google search got me another link which came with a pdf of instructions so the upgrade for android play was pretty simple too.

There are a few different Gd-03 units I came across, at the time I was looking to buy there were 3 available but they are going fast it seems. I found looking for a 2015 i30 wreck yielded the best chance of finding one rather then looking for a GD-03 specifically but not sure if all of them have one.

Yanked mine out of this bad boy with some acrobatics  :wink:

• 2013 GD SE 3 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

• au Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
For anyone in Australia looking for a GD-03 Unit. There is 3 wrecks in  Melbourne at the moment all with their units intact. Wiring and everything should still be there unless some loot goblin has taken them. Found them on facbook marketplace under "2015 i30 Wreck"
  • 2013 GD SE 3 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

• au Australia
    Sydney
Found one on ebay (ultimatejap was the seller - wrecker in Smithfield NSW) but got snapped up before I hit buy :(

It was $420 inclusive of postage with the USB cable + AUX/USB assembly so not as good value as the $200 come get it out yourself deal...

Found a great deal on a new Pioneer SPH-DA250DAB imported from Amazon UK so I might spend a bit more but get something new... I think DAB would also be cool to have but it's def a bit more expensive once you get the fascia and extra adaptors necessary

• au Australia
    Sydney
Has anyone here had recent dealings with Stanvac Korean auto wrecker? I've emailed them and got a quote of $550 + $35 postage. This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit. Seems nice and convenient except it's the highest price I've ever seen... :faint:

Is it that hard to sources these units atm? I was sure the price would be a bit lower than the ebay stuff I've seen around $400-$420.

• au Australia
    Perth, WA
Has anyone here had recent dealings with Stanvac Korean auto wrecker? I've emailed them and got a quote of $550 + $35 postage. This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit. Seems nice and convenient except it's the highest price I've ever seen... :faint:

Is it that hard to sources these units atm? I was sure the price would be a bit lower than the ebay stuff I've seen around $400-$420.
They must be getting rarer now, Stanvac's were $400 six months to a year ago and about $350 when I purchased mine a few years ago.

No changeover back then either.

• au Australia
    Brisbane
Signed up to give a big thanks to the OP.  Brilliant instructions.  GD-01 died in the i30 a few months ago, took a while to find a unit.

Found one on ebay (ultimatejap was the seller - wrecker in Smithfield NSW) but got snapped up before I hit buy

It was $420 inclusive of postage with the USB cable + AUX/USB assembly so not as good value as the $200 come get it out yourself deal...

That was me  :whistler: Have been looking on and off for a while, when I saw it with cable and plug I jumped on it!
  • i30

• au Australia
Massive thank you to VTH. Guide was easy to follow.

Managed to snag one from Aus Auto Parts in Laverton. It seems they usually cut the cables, including the USB but if you ask nicely they may have one available.

All up was a steal at $375, compared to the $450-500 I was seeing elsewhere.
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8L, Auto, Silver

• au Australia
    Perth n.o.r.
dealings with Stanvac?  This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit.

Any idea why they want the dodgy GD-01 head units??
It makes it sound like they are repairable ??
  • 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

• au Australia
    Perth, WA
dealings with Stanvac?  This is a "changeover" price so they pay postage for me to send them my old headunit.

Any idea why they want the dodgy GD-01 head units??
It makes it sound like they are repairable ??
They are repairable, about $600 the last time I'd heard of one being done.

There will always be people that prefer to stick with the standard system, crazy init :crazy1:

• au Australia
    Perth n.o.r.
At that price mine aint getting repaired any time soon...

our GD01 dashboard filler died a couple of days ago - looks like I am one of the many either looking for a good GD03, or an aftermarket replacement.
  • 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

• au Australia
    Sydney
G'day all,

I have sourced a GD-03 from an interstate wrecker to be mailed to me to do the upgrade. I have asked if the AUX/USB jack assembly and USB lead are able to be included too and was advised that I would need to remove it myself as it is a big job.

Is someone able confirm/deny this please?
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

• au Australia
    Perth, WA
G'day all,

I have sourced a GD-03 from an interstate wrecker to be mailed to me to do the upgrade. I have asked if the AUX/USB jack assembly and USB lead are able to be included too and was advised that I would need to remove it myself as it is a big job.

Is someone able confirm/deny this please?
Once the head unit and aircon is out (15minutes) it’s only a 5 minute job to get the AUX module out with USB lead intact.

• au Australia
    Sydney
Thanks, Craig.
  • 2014 Hyundai i30

• au Australia
    Perth, WA
You're welcome :goodjob2:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal