i30 Owners Club

Can I access i30's past GPS log data for legal purposes ?

Pawzle · 12 · 2849

Offline Pawzle

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Car in question is my grandmother's i30. I think it's an Active model, but I'm not sure.. pretty sure it's not the base model.
An issue has come up with regard to a family member driving the car at unsafe speeds on a long stretch of highway a bit over a month ago and I need to prove this in court. Is there any way to download the car's GPS data ? I'm highly computer literate and I could absolutely interpret raw GPS data if I can extract it in some form, but whether the data is useful depends on how it is stored. I do not believe the driver was actively using the GPS for navigation at the time (Possible, but I don't think so in this case), but I'd be highly surprised if the navigation system didn't actively log all location data along with timestamps for the purposes of insurance, servicing etc.

I want to be able to extract the GPS log from the navigation system, locate the date of the incident, and pinpoint two particular GPS coordinates and then compare the timestamps between these coordinates in order to prove the vehicle's average speed during this part of the trip. I note that the Hyundai AutoLink app appears to have the ability to view driving history information, but I have not yet tried it. Will it give me the sort of detailed information that I need or is it possible for me to get access to more raw data. I'd prefer to be able to see the time taken to travel over one particular stretch of highway rather than the entire journey time which will obviously include slow speed zones, and local traffic areas as well.

Can anyone give me any advice with how to proceed with this ? If the AutoLink app is not going to give me the info I need, is it possible for me to interface to the car's computer and get maintenance logs without taking it to a dealer ?  Thanks in advance for help on this tricky question.
  • I30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I’d expect if any of that information is available and retrievable it will require Hyundai tech services :undecided: I’m no expert on the matter though :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Pawzle. That is a fascinating situation. I can't help except to agree with Craig, but very much hope you get a good result.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
Would need Hyundai input for sure if only to prove its authenticity.
It would only show car movement,  not driver, so, even if granny was miles away, incapacitated,  etc would need a stat. dec or similar to prove it couldn't have been her. Similarly, stat.dec would still prove innocence without car info.
(hope I make sense - one of those nights)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:02:06 by The Gonz »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'll have to agree with the responses so far. That level of data forensics would need Hy level interfacing and access. You could just as easily delete whatever's there if you weren't using the appropriate hardware and software set. I can guess you were hoping for a convenient pointer to a diagnostic setup already suited to this from a past experience but I for one haven't seen it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@The Gonz
Did you need to change much to make my post read like that?   :lol: :lol: :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't mind sweeping posts for those 4am finger fumbles. :snigger:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
2115 -  :rolleyes:  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
2115 -  :rolleyes:  :goodjob:
:faint:
Sorry, mate, confused yours with another 4am mention. Too smart for my own good. :-[

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It can be done, but I am unsure as to how long the data is retained.

You would need someone who would be acceptable to the court to extract it though so that the evidence is admissable.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I know this is a late reply but it might help for future reference........ The police do this when needed in certain cases.... they take the unit out of the car and send it to Germany where the GPS internals are made. They can extract all information that the unit put out. The information is then sent back and used in court proceedings

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I know this is a late reply but it might help for future reference........ The police do this when needed in certain cases.... they take the unit out of the car and send it to Germany where the GPS internals are made. They can extract all information that the unit put out. The information is then sent back and used in court proceedings

Wow! That seems a lot of work! You would think there was an easier way!  :Shocked:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal