i30 Owners Club

DIY towbar fitting on 2015 Hatch (UK)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've just fitted a towbar to my 2015 GD Hatch, it wasn't as difficult or expensive as I anticipated. The attached notes and photos may be useful to anyone else that feels like tackling it themselves.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done. Thanks for sharing I'll stick this topic so it doesn't get lost.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Hands On. Always fix my own cars.
Looks great. Nice job.

Looks like it retracts, is that right?

Have you got a link to where you got it please?   :cool:

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
This is my actual purchase;

:link: Detachable towbar hook Hyundai i30 3/5-door 2012 onwards | eBay

However, they're not listing it now, not sure why. The towbar isn't retractable, it pulls straight out horizontally when the release lever is pushed all the way down. It can then be stowed away in the bag provided, and a plastic clip pushed into the hole to keep the muck out. The electrics kit I bought separately;

:link: 7-Pin Universal (Bypass) Wiring Kit

The towbar came with a bracket to mount the socket, I used that instead of the plate that comes with the wiring kit.
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
A few more photos showing cable entry into spare wheel well; bypass relay; connections to rear light cluster wiring loom
  • i30 CRD

Offline Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Thanks for all this info Brendan.   :cool:

Can you please  just confirm where you took your 12v aux power from, please?    Are there no 12v live wires in boot area when ignition is on?   I only have a very basic trailer light board so no heavy drains.   

It's the last job, everything else is ready to go.  Thanks. 

Martin. 

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My car has a 12V power socket in the boot, attached to the parcel shelf support on the right hand side. I took the supply from the wire that is connected to the central electrode of that socket, which is live when the ignition switch is turned to the 1st position.

It is a 2015 face-lifted SE, I don't know if the socket was standard on lower spec versions, but the wiring might be there, even if the plug connector is just dangling loose.

On my previous 2011 i30, which had no socket, I had to run a new wire to the fuse board by the drivers' right knee, which meant pulling the trim off along the bottom edge of the doors so I could push the wire under the carpet. On my car, there are some spare ways in the fuse-board, though I've never had a look on the back side of it to see how to connect wiring to it. Alternatively, you can get a piggy-back fuse adaptor that plugs in like a normal fuse, but has a flying lead connected that you can can connect to your new supply wire with an insulated butt splice crimp, or even a soldered joint with some heatshrink tubing over the top.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Pieman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

Thanks for that Brendan. I'll have a look in the morning.

Fingers crossed for a feed. 

Fitted loads of stereos and amps in the past and know the aggro of taking all the trim off..  :head_knock:

Luckily the extra bits of loom I've needed in this car have been there, which was nice.

I'll report my findings later. 😎👍

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal