i30 Owners Club

Drivers windows won’t wind down

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello,
Hope everyone is doing ok.

So we have an i30, uk 2010 if that matters but I’m not sure it does in this case.

The drivers electric window is stuck up. It’s closed so it’s not an issue at the moment as it’s winter.
We’re not sure as to why it won’t go down as it’s not been wound up or down for a  few days.
The other windows, controlled by the same panel on the drivers door, work; so I’m not inclined towards it being an electrical issue at the minute. It doesn’t make a noise when you press the button, like it not trying rather than trying and failing.

Now, I know in can’t get the silver panel off the interior of the door without winding the window down.
Has anyone got any idea on how the window can manually be wound down, or something similar, in order to get the silver panel off?
Once I get that off I can check the connections behind there and maybe replace the winding mechanism if I have too.

Thanks, Jon.
  • 2016 i30 Tourer S, Diesel 1.6, Manual, White

Offline Ozzibiker

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hello,
Hope everyone is doing ok.

So we have an i30, uk 2010 if that matters but I’m not sure it does in this case.

The drivers electric window is stuck up. It’s closed so it’s not an issue at the moment as it’s winter.
We’re not sure as to why it won’t go down as it’s not been wound up or down for a  few days.
The other windows, controlled by the same panel on the drivers door, work; so I’m not inclined towards it being an electrical issue at the minute. It doesn’t make a noise when you press the button, like it not trying rather than trying and failing.

Now, I know in can’t get the silver panel off the interior of the door without winding the window down.
Has anyone got any idea on how the window can manually be wound down, or something similar, in order to get the silver panel off?
Once I get that off I can check the connections behind there and maybe replace the winding mechanism if I have too.

Thanks, Jon.

I think you can remove the inside panel without lowering the window. Two screws and some panel clips.

Most likely the switch is broken. After opening panel, maybe you can swap it with another switch for a test.
Motor could be broken also.
  • i30 CW

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,
Thanks for replying.
I think (could be wrong) that mechanism for moving the window up and down is fastened to the silver panel and the windows is fastened to that mechanism.

Previously I’m have lowered the window so the window can be unscrewed from the lowering mechanism, via the two holes in the silver panel Then the window can be removed separately from the silver panel and mechanism.

If you have a picture showing which screws to undo that would be really helpful?
Also, I don’t have a spare switch but I could insert a piece of wire into the switch / cable connector is anyone has a diagram showing which pins do what?
Thanks.

Offline Ozzibiker

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I don't have any photos at present.
One screw was in the inside door handle. The other I can't remember.
If you have removed the window via the inner screws, then this is what i was thinking to do.
I can't offer other help.

I think shorting the switch can tell you if it's the switch or not. You could also get a switch from another door. A hassle though.
  • i30 CW

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you're still trying to position the window pane to align screws for its removal, then energising the motor via the switch contacts is worthwhile. How many contacts does the switch show at its connector? With a multimeter - or even a test lamp - you should be able to identify the 12V supply from the rest.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
If you're still trying to position the window pane to align screws for its removal....

Yes, that is what I need to do.

The idea of shorting the switch connect, after working out what’s what with a multi meter is a good idea. It’s the drivers door so it has the controls for all four windows on it. The connector has maybe 10 or 12 pins in it.

It’s my sons car and so it’s not around all the time and given the weather I think it’ll be a good few weeks before either of us inclined to be out there messing with it till it gets a bit warmer. If anyone has any other ideas in the mean time that would be helpful.

I guess if the switch is ok and it’s the mechanism in the door, and I can’t find those screws, then the worst case is that we have to smash the window to get the panel off. Not exactly my first choice, but there is a way out of the problem if necessary. (Won’t be doing that unless I really really really have too’)

Offline jonnyplantpot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Well, we eventually got to looking at this.
Soon as we took the door trim off we notice that the grey connector, that connects the controls to the drivers window mechanism, was broke and had come loose.
Stuck it back in place with some electrical tape.

At least it wasn’t an expensive fix

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal