i30 Owners Club

Leaky clutch

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've been experiencing loss of hydraulic fluid, and thought it might be the clutch slave cylinder. My car is 2015 CRDi. I removed the plastic under-tray and can see that the car has an internal concentric release bearing, but the leak appears to be from the coupling in the photo. I hope that this part is separate from the release bearing, as it would be a gearbox removal job to get to it. Has anyone else had this problem? I made a short video showing how loose it is. Is this normal?

:link: Hyundai i30 clutch hydraulic connection - YouTube

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 20:24:38 by BrendanP »
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Just an update on this topic. The part number for this hose is 41640 2V200. A new one is £120 from a Hyundai dealer, or £108 from Kia. I expect there is an o-ring or two that has perished and is no longer sealing properly, but without seeing the hose I don't know if the o-rings are part of the hose or the release bearing to which it attaches. Has anyone ever disconnected this hose and knows what it looks like when it's removed?

I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a part for the sake of a £1 o-ring.
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Just to give an update, I removed the air filter box from the car to gain access to the clutch hose. The price of £108 or more seems excessive for what it is, I'd have thought £35 would be more reasonable. The next photo shows the plastic spigot on the clutch release bearing which pokes out the bell-housing. There's nothing special about it, just an o-ring in a groove close to the end, and further back, another groove where the retaining clip locates. There are no seals or o-rings in the metal block that pushes onto the spigot. I replaced the o-ring with one from my box of assorted o-rings (box of 85 for £2-20 from a DIY store).

The retaining clip appeared to be broken, as some parts I found in the metal bit looked like they'd snapped off. It could be this wasn't holding the hose on firmly enough, hence the leak. I pushed the hose back on and strapped it on with some cable-ties. I also put a larger o-ring on the spigot, to fill the gap at the end. I pushed the clutch in and out a couple of dozen times, felt around the hose joint and it was dry, so I'm hoping this has stopped the leak. If I had bought a new hose, I don't even know if it would include a new o-ring, it might be classed as part of the release bearing. I'm certainly not going to buy one just to get a new retaining clip, I think I can come up with a better solution myself.

• i30 CRD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nice work, Brendan. I wholeheartedly agree with the logic of repair without OEM parts purchase under these circumstances. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal