HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230866

Offline Frankyg

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hey,

my 2013 i30 Elite has this head unit with Sat Nav;

and I'm not sure if there's a compatible GD-03 unit with matching fascia, can anyone advise if it's possible?

I've noticed this for sale in a wreckers, it's got the wrong shape at the bottom so no good for me but is there a GD-03 head unit that will match my fascia shape?

• 2013 i30 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Manual, Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Frankyg, the NAV units have a slightly different shape surround so a GD-03 unit will not fit your car, you might be better off looking at a third party aftermarket system which I’m sure a local car audio shop could help you out with some advice.

Some members here have also replaced their system with Android units which generally require aftermarket wiring harnesses and sometimes a new centre fascia.

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
HI,

I am planning to buy this 2016 i30 set nav unit for this trip. can someone please confirm if it is possible on this version? I can't see any mention of the GD-03 part number.

:link: 2016 Hyundai i30 5dr 1.6CRDI Sat Nav Satellite Navigation - 96560-A6010 BVN | BreakerYard.com

I understand that I will have to source the Aux-USB assembly and cable separately.

I want to upgrade the head unit on my 2013 i30 ( UK) to enable apple car play. Also, can some one please confirm if apple has sorted the noise issue yet?

thanks in advance
tapan
  • 2013 - i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
HI,

I am planning to buy this 2016 i30 set nav unit for this trip. can someone please confirm if it is possible on this version? I can't see any mention of the GD-03 part number.

:link: 2016 Hyundai i30 5dr 1.6CRDI Sat Nav Satellite Navigation - 96560-A6010 BVN | BreakerYard.com

I understand that I will have to source the Aux-USB assembly and cable separately.

I want to upgrade the head unit on my 2013 i30 ( UK) to enable apple car play. Also, can some one please confirm if apple has sorted the noise issue yet?

thanks in advance
tapan
If your vehicle already has a satnav unit fitted then a GD model (non satnav)stereo will not fit due to different fascia shape, satnav units are not even allocated with a GD “ “ label
The picture you linked is also a satnav unit, specifically a GD-03 doesn’t have satnav or a CD player.

Lastly, yes the CarPlay noise issue was fixed with the recent .10 software update from Cartronics.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
HI,

thanks in advance
tapan

I upgraded my unit to the GD-03 from the image below. If yours is the same, then the sat nav unit will not fit the fascia correctly.

This is what a GD-03 looks like, it will have to be sourced from Australia

• I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks for your feedback guys. I currently have the non sarnav version in my car so I think GD-03 should fit.  Stanvac is asking for 550 aud including shipping. Is the reasonable ? I emailed ultimatejap but didn’t receive any reply. Is there anywhere else I can source it from ?

Thanks once again.
  • 2013 - i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for your feedback guys. I currently have the non sarnav version in my car so I think GD-03 should fit.  Stanvac is asking for 550 aud including shipping. Is the reasonable ? I emailed ultimatejap but didn’t receive any reply. Is there anywhere else I can source it from ?

Thanks once again.
If Stanvac are going to ship internationally for you then I'd stick with them, currently their GD-03 units are going for $400+, due to the high demand of these units now they are getting rarer so with shipping included to UK I think that is a reasonable asking price $550au = 312GBP.

I've dealt first hand with Stanvac as I bought one of their GD-03 units and they are the only company I know of that doesn't cut the cables and they will ship complete with usb module if you ask for it :goodjob2:

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Having a bit of a problem here. How is your experience dealing with stanvac? They had 1 GD-03 system in stock for which I paid via western union money transfer on 18-Dec. However, soon after, they have disappeared from radar and stopped replying to my email in last 2 weeks . Western union has confirmed money was deposited in receiver’s account. However, despite my repeated emails to verify the transfer and status of the shipment, stanvac haven’t replied to a single email. I think I was n correspondence with someone called Dale.

Thanks once again
Tapan
  • 2013 - i30

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Hi guys,

Having a bit of a problem here. How is your experience dealing with stanvac? They had 1 GD-03 system in stock for which I paid via western union money transfer on 18-Dec. However, soon after, they have disappeared from radar and stopped replying to my email in last 2 weeks . Western union has confirmed money was deposited in receiver’s account. However, despite my repeated emails to verify the transfer and status of the shipment, stanvac haven’t replied to a single email. I think I was n correspondence with someone called Dale.

Thanks once again
Tapan

Hi Tapan, sorry to hear about your issue. Hopefully another member who has dealt with Stanvac can offer some additional guidance and I really hope you are able to resolve the issue.

As a friendly word of warning, be very careful buying any goods using Western Union as a payment method. You have no consumer protection at all purchasing this way with Western Union! If I didn't personally know and absolutely trust the seller I would avoid the risk personally...

See the FAQ here for more info - :link: Consumer protection FAQ | Western Union UK

I really hope this is just a snag with them mate and you get it all resolved!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 23:37:47 by MT-RED »
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi guys,

Thanks once again
Tapan
Tapan, Stanvac are very reliable from my experience, you’ll probably find your package is already on its way.

Being the holiday season it’s very likely many of their staff are away or they might even shut down for a short period.

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thank you guys. They specifically asked to transfer to thier bank account- I personally do prefer PayPal.

I am still waiting to hear back from them. I have chased few times - hopefully someone will reply soon. I am concerned as it’s been more than 2 weeks now.
  • 2013 - i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@tapan.aviator  if you pm me your name and order number I’ll give them a call and see if I can find out what’s happening for you.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@tapan.aviator Hi Tapan, thanks for the pm and I've sent a reply to you, their silly season busy period has had them run off their feet but rest assured the package was sent on the 18th and they are going to request the shipping company send you an email on it's status :goodjob2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@tapan.aviator Hi Tapan, thanks for the pm and I've sent a reply to you, their silly season busy period has had them run off their feet but rest assured the package was sent on the 18th and they are going to request the shipping company send you an email on it's status :goodjob2:
That is some serious string pulling   :goodjob2: :goodjob:  :cool:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yep. 3 cheers for Craig!  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That is some serious string pulling   :goodjob2: :goodjob:  :cool:
Dale at Stanvac's is easy to deal with, I spoken with him a few times before to sort out some stereo deals for people and he's all to happy to help solve any issues, he's very appreciative for the i30 forum keeping his GD-03 stocks low :)

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks once again Craig for your help in this - really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, it all gone sideways. Turns out, the parcel was actually shipped on 18-Dec and a delivery attempt was made on 28-Dec. But Stanvac had made a typo in the address - they wrote house number 25 instead of 26 that I confirmed to them.  :P. Obviously, person from house 25 refused to take the parcel and as a result, the parcel is now on the way, being returned to sender  :neutral:

i had a long conversation with Parcelforce and they claim now it is too late to reverse this (also as it wasn't due to their fault). Had, stanvac sent me tracking number on time, i could have monitored to the progress of the shipment and could have stopped the parcel from being returned.

I have already paid 550 AUD, and don't think could afford to spend any more on the shipping again. Hopefully, stanvac should be able to absorb the additional cost considering it was their mistake.

really unlucky. 
  • 2013 - i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I guess you've already sent them another email explaining what has happenned :undecided: if was their fault and they placed the wrong address then I would think they'll resend it for you, bit of a bummer though :disapp:

If you have any trouble getting through to them again let me know and I'll see what info I can gather from this end.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't neighbour know you or know of you?

#25 would usually either be across road or if sequentail numbering, next door.

Also posty/royal mail here usually know people by name if address slightly wrong..... Unless new/temp staff.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
You would have thought if the neighbour recognised the name they would have taken the parcel and then just handed it over. Not all neighbours no each other unfortunately and therefore just return to sender stuff.

Assume the address was correct on the  order confirmation email? Also assume there was no shipping confirmation email? As you say had you seen the shipping confirmation had the wrong address or had a tracking number you could have intercepted it and / or spoke to the neighbour and made provision for it not to be returned.

100% if the address was provided correctly and then sent somewhere else they should sort this out for you at no additional cost. Good luck with it! What a pain....sure you will get there.....
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've had a couple of parcels recently which stated that the recipient must be the signatory, otherwise they had to be RTS.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks everyone. I have sent stanvac an email explaining the situation- waiting to hear back currently. By now they shipment would have been returned to them I would assume.
  • 2013 - i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks everyone. I have sent stanvac an email explaining the situation- waiting to hear back currently. By now they shipment would have been returned to them I would assume.
All sorted for you Tapan, the package has only just arrived back in Aus so give it a couple of days to return to Stanvac where they’ll re-address and send off for you again :)

Offline tapan.aviator

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@CraigB - mate, you are a legend! thanks ever so much for all your help not this. Stanvac have shipped the package back to me and it has now arrived in the UK  :goodjob2:
  • 2013 - i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB - mate, you are a legend! thanks ever so much for all your help not this. Stanvac have shipped the package back to me and it has now arrived in the UK  :goodjob2:
Not a problem mate :hatoff: it took its time getting back to you but good to hear it finally arrived  :goodjob2:

Offline Evan85

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just wanna day a massive thanks to all the contributors in this thread.

My 2012 GD01 suffered from sudden loss of audio output last weekend, and a quick google search led me here.

I managed to pickup a GD03 head unit and USB point from ultimatejap for $170. Fitted it tonight following this guide, took me about an hour and it’s better than new! Much more functional, and better sound quality to boot!

Haven’t got the USB hooked up, as unfortunately the supplier cut it. But will order from KORAPs this week, unless someone has a local source for one?

Thanks again guys and gals!
  • 2012 i30 active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just wanna day a massive thanks to all the contributors in this thread.

My 2012 GD01 suffered from sudden loss of audio output last weekend, and a quick google search led me here.

I managed to pickup a GD03 head unit and USB point from ultimatejap for $170. Fitted it tonight following this guide, took me about an hour and it’s better than new! Much more functional, and better sound quality to boot!

Haven’t got the USB hooked up, as unfortunately the supplier cut it. But will order from KORAPs this week, unless someone has a local source for one?

Thanks again guys and gals!
That's a great price for a GD-03 unit :goodjob: getting hard to obtain under $350 now days, typical of UltimateJap to cut cables though :disapp:

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All.

Given that the satnav units are different shape.
wouldnt a gd-03 and surrounding panel fix the issue?
might cost more, but should work?
we should ask our wrecker friends of the panels/fascias have the same attachment points.
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal