i30 Owners Club

Upgrading spark plugs for tune

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I'm getting ready for a flash tune on my N Line in the next week or so and wanted to upgrade to colder plugs beforehand.

Can anyone tell me if they've done this on their N Line or SR and if so what's the model number of the plugs you've uses.

Thanks
  • 2018 i30 N-Line Premium 1.6T Polar White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Really shouldn't be necessary to change out for cooler plugs unless you're going to be using race fuel...110RON and higher.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi all,

I'm getting ready for a flash tune on my N Line in the next week or so and wanted to upgrade to colder plugs beforehand.

Can anyone tell me if they've done this on their N Line or SR and if so what's the model number of the plugs you've uses.

Thanks

I'm lost,  could you explain the reason behind that thought  please.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@mickd  on more modified engines the combustion chamber can heat to beyond optimal temperature so using a cooler plug will reduce the combustion temp, changing plugs to a cooler type when not necessary though will only foul plugs.

An ECU tune isn't going to be anywhere near the level required to even think about using cooler plugs, using hotter fuel is a common reason for changing plugs but again I doubt the OP will be running race fuel as the engine would require much more modifications to do so.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@mickd  on more modified engines the combustion chamber can heat to beyond optimal temperature so using a cooler plug will reduce the combustion temp, changing plugs to a cooler type when not necessary though will only foul plugs.

An ECU tune isn't going to be anywhere near the level required to even think about using cooler plugs, using hotter fuel is a common reason for changing plugs but again I doubt the OP will be running race fuel as the engine would require much more modifications to do so.
@CraigB
Yeah, couldn't agree more with what you're saying.
Think OP was listening to a tuning company or similar,  basically a "money vampire  doing hand relief ", just stroking the ego.
Even if multiple mech components are changed and you score an extra 100 hp
( :rolleyes:), a commuter racer can't be operating at that range long enough to warrant diff plugs. If a track day is on the cards,  go for sticky rubber  and brake late . :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Think OP was listening to a tuning company or similar
Yeah, and navigating the mountains of BS on the net can be a minefield for the unknowing.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@Doyourbiz
Hi,
Sorry if I've come across a bit harsh, not directed to you,  just the so called tuning experts who sell BS to people.

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Thanks to all for the responses. The general consensus of all feedback received both here and elsewhere is that changing the plugs is useless since I'm not going for significant increases in power.

That just means more dollars saved to put towards other mods.
  • 2018 i30 N-Line Premium 1.6T Polar White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal