i30 Owners Club

2018 - Any of our members riding their pushy's?

eye30 · 173 · 30140

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I have to shed some weight somehow. 70kg's fit my 1.7m frame well. 80...not so much :mrgreen:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
This was a good thread! Posting so I can keep track of it.

Snow is melting here, ice-slurry on the fields so no more cross country skiing. I've seen some roll out their bikes the last few days when the roads dried up, so I might take mine for a spin soon enough too. I got a nice path close by, I'm in the middle of it, but it runs 90km asphalt on an old train embankment.

Also an 120km further north of gravel where the asphalt ends, but my bike aint up for that.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yes i need to get out on my travels.

Weather not been that good here so will require a good can of wd40 to get my limbs moving again.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 23:05:00 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
And while I am here: http://audaxqld.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/building-the-ultimate-machine1.pdf

I like hills and therefore the upgraded brakes were essential. In the vid above I just about mowed down the rider in front who would not get out of the way. Even though the bike now brakes like a motorbike and has plenty of margin for heat management, they still get hot on a long steep descent like that if you need to drag the brakes as I did here. By the time I got past, brakes were marginal and making a racket - but orders of magnitude better than what came on the bike standard.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 23:13:04 by Aussie Keith »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Keith, Enjoyed the Video.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Enjoyed the video, Keith. I like the overlays with the HR monitoring and ascent/decent graphs. Very nicely done.

I went for a pedal this morning to the end of the next suburb and back. Around 8 or 9 kilos. Going again in an hour from now once the majority of the day's heat fades away.

I'm slowly but surely building my fitness and stamina. I can't wait to be cycle fit again and start doing some sprints with a group (just myself and my girlfriend riding at the moment)

EDIT: I got my first and hopefully last puncture yesterday evening but it was a slow one that I didn't notice until this morning when I got up to ride. I got some tyre slime and a hand pump today as I was planning on getting it anyhow this week. I also found a nice saddle bag that fits underneath the rear of the seat towards the rear (good place to stash my phone and house keys) and I also got some plastic tyre levers in case I ever need to remove the tyre out in the wilderness. I was contemplating skipping the pump and rather getting a co2 bomb kit, but the actual canisters here are quite expensive and a pump should last longer - providing it doesn't fall off as the mount to attach it to the bike looks quite flimsy
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:46:44 by PhireSide »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Few photo's from my ride last friday.
Took in views of Wales and England.  Visited Chester by the riding along canal tow path and called to the chippy for chips, curry and drink of tea. No beer as don't drink and ride as I don't fancy a bath by riding into the canal :lol:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You're looking pretty good for your age Lester.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Not so sure about the soggy chips.. They look past their prime!  :snigger: I like mine crisp with a bit of "dead horse"  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
What he said.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I don't ride a pushy Lester but I sure do enjoy your post & the photos. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I don't ride a pushy Lester but I sure do enjoy your post & the photos. :goodjob2:

I've always wondered but been too afraid to ask - why are they referred to as pushy's?

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I guess as you have to push down on the pedals  ( push = pushy )  maybe.  :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
First designs with 2 similar sized wheels had no chains or sprockets,  you pushed with your feet.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
So modern ones are called a pedally?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Its good to read about so much activity.

I've acquired another velocipede. This one is my old race bike of 3 decades prior, a rare and desirable thing then and even more so now. I've got it in for a full restomod and its going to be quite epic.

Build will have a polished aluminium Campagnolo drivetrain,  and a bunch of period correct accoutrements. Wheels will be record hubs with low profile polished rims. Should be fast and light and excellent to ride. Again.

Pictures and information here: :link: Rossin - Keith and Joan's Gallery

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:54:12 by Aussie Keith »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You love your bikes Keith. Great to see. Thanks for sharing.  :victory:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
And finally, this month I've completed the Tour of Watopia, 250km in seven stages, 5000m of vert. I'm a Cat D rider (fat lad at the back) and managed to finish without coming last which is great.

This is all virtual, and is a different experience to the road (yup, hard to imagine...), harder because you can't back off and cruise, you absolutely need to maintain cadence and power. It's quite relentless you might say.

There are also hundreds of riders participating as well, so you get to ride as you would in real life, work with a bunch to the hills, tempo up the hills, etc. It requires a little racecraft as well as the legs to propel you about and is quite engaging.

More on how it works: :link: Setting Up A Smart Trainer - Images by Keith & Joan

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
You love your bikes Keith. Great to see. Thanks for sharing.  :victory:

This is the benefit of owing an i30. More time and $$$ for bikes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:mrgreen:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Enjoyed the video, Keith. I like the overlays with the HR monitoring and ascent/decent graphs. Very nicely done.

I went for a pedal this morning to the end of the next suburb and back. Around 8 or 9 kilos. Going again in an hour from now once the majority of the day's heat fades away.

I'm slowly but surely building my fitness and stamina. I can't wait to be cycle fit again and start doing some sprints with a group (just myself and my girlfriend riding at the moment)

EDIT: I got my first and hopefully last puncture yesterday evening but it was a slow one that I didn't notice until this morning when I got up to ride. I got some tyre slime and a hand pump today as I was planning on getting it anyhow this week. I also found a nice saddle bag that fits underneath the rear of the seat towards the rear (good place to stash my phone and house keys) and I also got some plastic tyre levers in case I ever need to remove the tyre out in the wilderness. I was contemplating skipping the pump and rather getting a co2 bomb kit, but the actual canisters here are quite expensive and a pump should last longer - providing it doesn't fall off as the mount to attach it to the bike looks quite flimsy

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm about the only person I know that doesn't do co2 because when they are gone, that's it. I much prefer a pump instead, but its worth getting a good one. I've got one on each of the bikes and for the new bike bought a Lezyne. Its a thing you hope never to use, and if you do you want to be sure it will get the job done rather than finding out at an inconvenient time it doesn't do the job.

Keep up the good work and watch the km's climb and the weight drop. I look forward to tales and pictures of you venturing farther afield.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
This thread needs more pictures!

Mines out, dusted and newly serviced ready to take on a ride. :P

• Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Xiziz! That reminds me, I need to  chase up a quick release hub for my front wheel so I can actually fit mine in my SR and use it!  :crazy1:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Car was in for service and mot today.

So as garage is some 12 miles from home and the weather was good i decided to put the bike in the boot and to ride home.

The garage is a couple of miles from the wirral way so took a nice ride back home.

As i've done this ride many time a few new pictures but some you will remember from old.

New ones of the carved log and blue plaque of house in Parkgate where Lord Nelson's mistress lived.

Ps
Asa, the hossie in Heswall is still empty!

Seems there is a problem with picture hosting site.  Will repost later

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 20:09:56 by eye30 »

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I can't get your images to load but it sounds like you had a nice scenic trip! 12 miles is quite a bit though. I certainly wouldn't attempt it without some deep thought :sweating:

Today was a bit of a rough day work-wise - I got home pretty late and had to skip lunch so as to get some pedal hours in before it got dark, I slurped some yogurt as soon as I got home and went off to cycle. I got to the end of the driveway when I heard a faint hissing sound - yup, puncture. I slammed another 100ml of sealant into the tyre, gave it 3 bar of the finest South African air and off I went.

I got about 5km into the journey and then the cramps set in - from me not eating all day and suddenly hitting my body with all this strenuous exercise. The latter half of my ride was a lot slower, and slightly more painful than I had wanted it to be :crazy1:

Made it home and swore to never again skip lunch, no matter the circumstances :sweating:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Nice ride Lester, Heswall, I think they don't know what to do with it....  the fact that it's on millionaires row prolly doesn't help <NIMBY> world.  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@eye30 Thanks for the photos Lester. I've ordered a quick release thingy for my front wheel s might be using my bike fairly soon.  :goodjob:

@PhireSide You are a braver man than me Phil trusting that gunk. When you said you got about 5 kms into the journey I thought you were going to say it went back down!

I have been getting cramps lately. Magnesium tablets with my evening meal seem to have helped a bit.  :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
@eye30  great photos Lester,Thank you. I left England 49 years ago to make my home in Australia, Australia is a great place and I love it here and have never ever looked back.Although I was born and lived in the south of England I see your photos and get a little bit of nostalgia. It is a shame the small old village type railway stations that had the flower boxes on them are no longer used but great that they have managed to preserve them.
Look forward to seeing more of your photos. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal