i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDI Oil level sensor woes

Offline LaboratoryRat

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hi All,

New comer to the forum here.

I have a 2010 model 1.6CRDI FD. the car is brilliant and drives perfectly, however the low oil warning light is on constantly.
Now I know what you are thinking and yes I have checked the oil level, numerous times.

This is the 3rd sensor that I have had and all 3 have failed in very short succession. they all work for a brief period of time then the ecu logs a fault. After 30 miles the low oil warning light will come on the dashboard. clearing the stored codes via the key dance will only clear the issue for 30 miles before it resets

The currently failed sensor was a genuine Hella unit purchased by the Hella part number of :- 6pr 009622 -121 which according to the Hella site is the replacement for the 6pr 009622-06 that corresponds to the Hyundai part number of 21590 2a100.

My mechanic and I have followed all of the troubleshooting guides available from Hyundai with regards to the wiring and sensor performance. when the new sensors are plugged in they send the correct signal to the ecu, they are receiving power and the wiring on the engine loom isn't broken so the signal is reaching the ecu.

I am just wondering if there are any technical gurus out there that can help. I really am at my wits end with this issue.

TL;DR :- Oil level sensor broken, replaced twice keeps breaking. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

LabRat
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome LabRat,

I can't help sorry, except to say it is not commonly reported on here so obviously there is some other issue with your car that must be triggering it! Considering it is running well, that is very frustrating.

I'm no mechanic but i'm thinking another sensor must be faulty (oil PRESSURE sensor maybe - if there is such a thing?) :undecided:

Signed Clueless (AKA Dazz)  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LaboratoryRat

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hi Dazz,

Looking into the DTC that come up it only shows the low oil level as being the issue. The oil pressure light (red) never illuminates. It is a very puzzling issue.

Cheers

LabRat

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have you tried taking it to a Hyundai dealer so they can use the factory diagnostics?

I'm reading the procedure and I don't fully understand it, sometimes the translation can be weird but I'm wondering if there is a special method of clearing the DTC and running a cycle. I can try an copy it and see if it helps. It talks about checking the DTC Readiness Flag indicates completed, if it does not then it mentions driving the vehicle within the freeze frame data or enable conditions.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline LaboratoryRat

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hi TW,

Thanks for the information. Those where the pages that my mechanic and I followed. The only point we couldn't get to was the GDS step as my mechanic doesn't have the Hyundai GDS system. Using a test probe he has proven that the sensor gets power and puts out a signal the same as the previous one did before it's demise.

It is a frustrating issue.

Many thanks for the help

LabRat

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal