i30 Owners Club

ESP light on, heavy steering, ESP OFF light on

Ah30 · 18 · 10613

Offline Ah30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all, please help. 2008 Hyundai i30 SR, manual, very good condition, no previous probs, second owner of 5 years, 135k k's.

Driving home from work, the ESP light came on and my steering went heavy. Restarted car and back to normal. Then about 2km later, same thing, restart fixed it. 1km later same thing, restart fixed it. 500m later while sitting at lights, same thing but this time and turn off and turn on again didn't work, steering was still heavy and now the ESP OFF light is on. So now I have no power steering and car is challenging to drive.

I googled and there was a recall for the 2009 - 2010 version of my car for this very error. My car's not included though. Have called Hyundai and they say I have to take it in.

Before I take it in, can anyone give me a guide on:
- what's happening?
- what the typical fix and price range is?
- any quick tips?
- is it possible for a dealer to see my error is the same as a recalled error and just fix it.....

Thank you

• 2008 i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all, please help. 2008 Hyundai i30 SR, manual, very good condition, no previous probs, second owner of 5 years, 135k k's.

Driving home from work, the ESP light came on and my steering went heavy. Restarted car and back to normal. Then about 2km later, same thing, restart fixed it. 1km later same thing, restart fixed it. 500m later while sitting at lights, same thing but this time and turn off and turn on again didn't work, steering was still heavy and now the ESP OFF light is on. So now I have no power steering and car is challenging to drive.

I googled and there was a recall for the 2009 - 2010 version of my car for this very error. My car's not included though. Have called Hyundai and they say I have to take it in.

- what's happening?
- any quick tips?
- is it possible for a dealer to see my error is the same as a recalled error and just fix it.....

Thank you
well, at a guess the EPS sounds like it's  the culprit. It's unlikely they'll view it as the same issue which may have been software.

If you know anyone with an OBD2 scantool could be worth seeing if it picks any codes or if you're near Ipswich I could scan it and I have a spare column which may help fault find.

It could be the control unit only that's failed, not a part that is sold but you may find one on Ebay or a complete used column I've seen around $450.

The dealer is likely to fault find it for you at a premium but hopefully have you on the right track. If the column is at fault then the next part of the conversation will likely have you in shock and out the door.

A search through the forum will reveal it costs thousands just for the part, at least 2 grand maybe more, then add labour

I can't think of any reason the Electric Steering would shutdown unless the control unit detects a fault. The ESP off could triggered by other items but in this case I would presume it's the loss of power steering.

@cruiserfied Tim may have some first hand experience with this.

Column replacement is awkward but not impossible , it will need the ASP recalibrated and a diagnostic tool will be needed for that. If using  a secondhand column it may also be a good idea to replace the coupler bush that fails also whilst it's out for the long term.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'll start picking out what I find, UK at 1500 pounds, you can do the conversion to AUD and it's likely ballpark.

:link: Steering Column Failure

$3000 mentioned,

:link: POWER STEERING FAILURE/2010 SLX AUTOMATIC

2000 pounds

:link: ESP Failure

$2500 USD

:link: EPS and ESC OFF lights are on---Loss of powering steering while driving
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:43:33 by tw2005 »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

- what's happening?
- any quick tips?

Thank you
well, at a guess the EPS sounds like it's  the culprit. It's unlikely they'll view it as the same issue which may have been software.

If you know anyone with an OBD2 scantool could be worth seeing if it picks any codes or if you're near Ipswich I could scan it and I have a spare column which may help fault find.

It could be the control unit only that's failed, not a part that is sold but you may find one on Ebay or a complete used column I've seen around $450.

The dealer is likely to fault find it for you at a premium but hopefully have you on the right track. If the column is at fault then the next part of the conversation will likely have you in shock and out the door.

A search through the forum will reveal it costs thousands just for the part, at least 2 grand maybe more, then add labour

I can't think of any reason the Electric Steering would shutdown unless the control unit detects a fault. The ESP off could triggered by other items but in this case I would presume it's the loss of power steering.

Column replacement is awkward but not impossible , it will need the ASP recalibrated and a diagnostic tool will be needed for that. If using  a secondhand column it may also be a good idea to replace the coupler bush that fails also whilst it's out for the long term.

Nothing more that i can add. You'll put me out of a job soon.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

- what's happening?
- any quick tips?

Thank you

@cruiserfied  Don't be like that, a coal face techs input is always invaluable :lol: Realistically though, how many can afford or would consider a brand new dealer fitted column? Do they shelve these here in country? or are they Ex Korea and does the customer have to pay up front for the part?

Have you ever fitted an out of warranty unit?  What would be handy to know, would a dealership consider fitting a customer supplied used unit? No wty of course or too risky due to potential unknown condition and safety?

sorry to put you on the spot  :mrgreen:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:31:48 by tw2005 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'll start picking out what I find, UK at 1500 pounds, you can do the conversion to AUD and it's likely ballpark.

:link: Steering Column Failure

$3000 mentioned,

:link: POWER STEERING FAILURE/2010 SLX AUTOMATIC

2000 pounds

:link: ESP Failure

$2500 USD

:link: EPS and ESC OFF lights are on---Loss of powering steering while driving

Thanks for all your hard work (as usual) Gerard.

Those prices sure are scary. Hopefully (if it does need replacement)  Ah30 can source a 2nd hand one with some warranty from a wreckers for around the A $500 mark.. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

- what's happening?
- any quick tips?

Thank you

@cruiserfied  Don't be like that, a coal face techs input is always invaluable :lol: Realistically though, how many can afford or would consider a brand new dealer fitted column? Not many i'd sayDo they shelve these here in country? or are they Ex Korea and does the customer have to pay up front for the part?Haven't had to look one up since the warehouse burnt down but i would guess yes they woukd have stock on shelf. As for payment it would be up to the dealer in question. Personally if in the country no, if backorder yes

Have you ever fitted an out of warranty unit? YesWhat would be handy to know, would a dealership consider fitting a customer supplied used unit? No wty of course or too risky due to potential unknown condition and safety?Again this will be dealer by dealer. I wouldn't have a problem as i know that the risk is not as high as its made out to be. Steering goes heavy, thats it. There's not loss of steering and it wont lock up. Sure if it happens at the wrong time it could cause an incident but chances of that are low.

See quote. Was easier to edit there.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

- what's happening?
- any quick tips?

Thank you

@cruiserfied  Don't be like that, a coal face techs input is always invaluable :lol: Realistically though, how many can afford or would consider a brand new dealer fitted column? Not many i'd sayDo they shelve these here in country? or are they Ex Korea and does the customer have to pay up front for the part?Haven't had to look one up since the warehouse burnt down but i would guess yes they woukd have stock on shelf. As for payment it would be up to the dealer in question. Personally if in the country no, if backorder yes

Have you ever fitted an out of warranty unit? YesWhat would be handy to know, would a dealership consider fitting a customer supplied used unit? No wty of course or too risky due to potential unknown condition and safety?Again this will be dealer by dealer. I wouldn't have a problem as i know that the risk is not as high as its made out to be. Steering goes heavy, thats it. There's not loss of steering and it wont lock up. Sure if it happens at the wrong time it could cause an incident but chances of that are low.

See quote. Was easier to edit there.
Right, 2015, before I got my first crooked H it appears.

Up here, if it's not on their  shelf they make me pay first and it's probably more Dealer driven regardless of Make.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline Ah30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Oh my goodness, you guys are amazingly helpful. Thank you so much.

I should also add that the day before this happened, my fiancee and I were changing the headlight bulb when it broke so I was driving without the left headlight bulb in. It was a bit dreary yesterday so the EPS thing could've happened when the auto headlights came on. He found this thread which describes the exact same issue as mine a few years ago. :link: i30 electric steering column failure.

See post 20.

It certainly seems uncannily similar and in the past I've replaced maybe 3 or 4 headlights. What do you gurus know about the head light fuse and do you think it's worth getting it scanned first? Or find fuse? Thank you all so much.

I'm located Kangaroo Point FYI
  • 2008 i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I should also add that the day before this happened, my fiancee and I were changing the headlight bulb when it broke so I was driving without the left headlight bulb in. It was a bit dreary yesterday so the EPS thing could've happened when the auto headlights came on. He found this thread which describes the exact same issue as mine a few years ago. :link: i30 electric steering column failure.

See post 20.

It certainly seems uncannily similar and in the past I've replaced maybe 3 or 4 headlights. What do you gurus know about the head light fuse and do you think it's worth getting it scanned first? Or find fuse? Thank you all so much.

Was this an attempt with the headlight installed? I think there's little to no room with the battery.

Offline Ah30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
What do you mean? It's ridiculously tight but certainly possible to get the headlight 'lid' off and on again without unscrewing the while headlight unit. I'm wondering if a missing headlight could blow the fuse and cause the EPS to go off, as per above post. Thank you
  • 2008 i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

See post 20.

Interesting read on the fuse although if it was and the two were linked together, would that not mean that you'd also have no headlights? Unfortunate which fuse is not mentioned. I'd have to look at the schematics but on the motor side it could be in excess of 80 or 100amps , could be a different fuse for the control side.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
don't know about the headlight fuse correlation. In the driver side fuse box, there's a 10amp fuse marked cluster, that feeds the EPS control unit, could be 1st column, 6th fuse down.

main link for the EPS motor is an 80amp link, located in the main engine compartment fuse box

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

2 large fusible links , bolted in place lower left, 80 is the EPS motor power

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich