i30 Owners Club

Strange noise coming from rear nearside wheel

Offline treid2000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire, UK
Hi everyone :)

Hoping someone can help with this, will explain as much as I can.

I have started to hear a strange noise coming from the rear nearside wheel. I can only describe it as a metallic noise, similar to a tin can being dragged along the floor. At first I thought it was the exhaust but I think that is okay. It only occurs at low speeds, less than 10mph at which point it seems to disappear. It does not seem to be brought on by braking or cornering and the wheel itself seems fine. I have felt around the wheel and can not feel anything untoward. The plastic covering on the shock was slipped so have put that back where it should be, but it has still not resolved the noise. I had this a few months ago and a garage said it was a cover and "did something" and the noise went away, however it has now come back.

The car is a 2011 i30 Diesel Estate Premium.

I just can not work out what it is. I would take the wheel off however another problem is the plastic trim around the wheel nuts seems to have warped preventing me getting them out (no idea how to sort that at all).

Has anyone come across this, or have any ideas because I am stumped!

Thanks
  • i30 CRDI Estate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Could it be a small stone in the brakes. I know they can make quite a racket at times at low speed but the noise disappears at speed for some reason. The other thing that springs to mind is a wheel bearing, but I know that doesn't explain why it went away and came back!  :undecided:

Can you take a photo of the plastic distortion.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What distance has this vehicle travelled? How much materail left on the pads ? Could it be the low pad squealers?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline treid2000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire, UK
It has done 72k. Pads and discs changed approx a year ago. I do not think it is a stone in the brakes. Would that not squeek more than rattle? It sounds like a tin can being pulled behind the car is the only way I can describe it. It is not constant however does not appear to be any religion to it. The plastic was not deformed, had simply slipped off the shock absorber so have pushed it back up again :).
  • i30 CRDI Estate

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It has done 72k. Pads and discs changed approx a year ago. I do not think it is a stone in the brakes. Would that not squeek more than rattle? It sounds like a tin can being pulled behind the car is the only way I can describe it. It is not constant however does not appear to be any religion to it. The plastic was not deformed, had simply slipped off the shock absorber so have pushed it back up again :).

I'm probably clutching at straws about the stone, but stranger things have happened.

I was talking about the plastic trim around the wheel nuts... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A rattling tin can sound seems like an exhaust issue to me, a worn ceramic catalytic converter will make a similar noise as would a muffler...even the muffler heat shield cover could be loose :undecided:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:04:36 by CraigB »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I'm probably clutching at straws about the stone, but stranger things have happened.

I was talking about the plastic trim around the wheel nuts... :undecided:
Or a nail in tread.

I recall i had an odd noise which eventually turned out to be a loose bracket on the exhaust causing the exhaust to rattle against the rear metal frame.

Have a look to make sure all ok.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline treid2000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire, UK
Thanks guys for all the responses.

Would a loose bracket not sound at all times? It seems to be with the wheel moving. Only problem is I am 50 miles from home at the moment so will need to try and get to a garage that can have a quick look :).
  • i30 CRDI Estate

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have to admit my first thought was wheel bearing.
Most of the other suggestions will probably see you home safely but if it's a bearing it could sieze and sheer off the hub.
The fact that the noise isn't evident at speed would be explained by the intrusion of other road sounds as you speed up.

But I can't explain why someone apparently fixed it a while back.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline treid2000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire, UK
That is what I can not work out either. Indo not think it is other car noises as was on a country road with the back window down and could not hear anything. What does a bearing sound like when it goes/going? Had a good look at the wheel but can not get far in a car park lol.

The guy who said he fixed it before said that it was a cover of some sort. I thought he said suspension but could be a different cover I guess.
  • i30 CRDI Estate

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That is what I can not work out either. Indo not think it is other car noises as was on a country road with the back window down and could not hear anything. What does a bearing sound like when it goes/going? Had a good look at the wheel but can not get far in a car park lol.

The guy who said he fixed it before said that it was a cover of some sort. I thought he said suspension but could be a different cover I guess.

Best punt from here is the brake backing plate ( thin metal) that is rubbing on the disc. You may have had some thing flick up off the road.. also reason why shockie cover is loose.

You need to take the wheel off to investigate whatever.

Don't understand the distorted wheel cover or how a bit of plastic can stop you from undoing wheel nuts. What will you do if you get a puncture on your country road ?  :rolleyes:
Get a hammer and knock the socket down onto the nut.

:crazy1: Thinks : have your wheel nuts come loose?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 23:28:06 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal