i30 Owners Club

Hyundai I30 Cruise Control

Offline giwrgos_p

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
Hi, I am new here and I found mant useful thing. I have a hyundai i30 1.4 crdi model of 2015. It hasnt cruise control and I want to add but i dont know If I can. I found from ebay genuine swithes and wires and the sellers tell me tha the olny thing which I need to add cruise control is other swithes, Is true? Doen't need other ecu? I found here a similiar topic, but it was for previous model of i30.
Sorry about my bad english. Thank you
  • 2015 Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
καλωσόρισμα, George. Your English is great. I'm sure you'll get good responses from the GD drivers soon. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: :whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Gof

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Two Wells, SA
The first thing to check is if the connecting pins are available and if so do they have wires attached.
A little history, I have just installed cruse and radio controls to the steering wheel of the wife's 2011 1600 Diesel SX I30 poverty model (I know, different vehicle to you) but this is what I discovered.
There is only one row of pins in the clock spring, not a problem, I went to a wrecker and for AU$125.00 got a leather covered steering wheel with the cruse switches installed, oh, and the clock spring underneath as well, it has pins 1 (horn), 2 (CC ground), 3 (CC signal), 4 (CC power), 5 & 6 N/C, 7 & 8 (radio), 9 & 10 back lights, 11 & 12 N/C.
The dealers wanted too much for the Y wiring harness and I had half of it in the new steering wheel so I got a 56192 2K200 that had the right plugs (wrong wireing, excess stock I think) and the radio switches for the LH side. That left a strip and re-wire job that left me with three sockets for the plug on the other side of the clock spring to continue the re-wireing to the ECU.
The Y harness and ECU connections are as follows:-
 Clock Spring.          Cruse.         Radio.         ECU.
1 horn
5 N/C
6 N/C
11 N/C
12 N/C

Unfortunately that was as far as my checking for available blank connections went, ECU pins 51 (CC set) was unused BUT I then discovered pin 44 (engage) was already occupied with a green wire  :wacko:
After hitting that brick wall I muttered  a few four letter words and decided to give it a test run anyway, the radio control worked, no surprise as the wiring from the clock spring forward was already existing  :sweating: the cruse engaged over 40 km/hr and disengaged with the brake (it's an auto) or the steering wheel control, happy life (actually, happy wife), no need for plan B, a (expensive) after market cruse control kit.
I would be very surprised if your ECU did not have the CC software already installed, there is a lot of information and links on this site, sift through it and then have a close look at your plugs to see if anything fits, don't forget plan B  :Good_luck:

• 2011 SX I30

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi mate.
responding wayy too late.
but, I also did the same as you and got a leather steering wheel, that includes the radio and CC controls, and the Y cable the connect the controls to the clock spring.
I realised my clock spring was not compatible, and i left it there for a year or two.

but since now, I need to replace my radio, I though i might as well give this a go.

from the other side of the clock spring (as long as it's the right one), did you have to make a custom made connector to the ECU? or all it needed was the controls?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline Gof

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Two Wells, SA
Hi, lucky you sent the email as well or I would have missed it. I had to add everything from the white plug on the steering column to the ECU for the cruse function, I never got the indicator LED's functioning as they did not exist in the instrument module and I could not find any alternative information on connections at the ECU so I put it in the too hard basket, other than that it is fully functional, and best part, the wife is happy. :victory:
  • 2011 SX I30

Offline Gof

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Two Wells, SA
One thing I forgot to add, my clock spring did not have the extra connections required for cruse, I un-clipped the clock spring from the donor wreck when I picked up the replacement steering wheel and my white plug on the steering column was short a couple of sockets which I made up with some left over bits from the cable re-build.
  • 2011 SX I30

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Gof.
let me get this straight (sorry, a bit slow here)

From this picture
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/agentr31/adding%20steering%20wheel%20controls%20to%20i30/SANY1529.jpg

you had to connect 3 new pins to that plug, and run a cable all the way to the ECU.
then on the ECU connect those 3 cables into 3 pins?

PS: If that's the case, I might ask you what goes where, once i take some close up pics, to make it easier to identify..

• 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline Gof

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Two Wells, SA
That is the plug that goes to each side of the clock spring, it needs power (4), signal (3) and ground (2) fed from the ECU. Hint, it is a 12 socket plug, numbered 1 to 6 on the snap clip side and 7 to 12 on the other side (right to left from the back of the plug).
Sockets 5, 6, 11 and 12 are not used, 1 black and 7 brown (existing wires).
On the steering wheel side the cruse control switch has 1 connected to 10 and 2 to 9 (backlight) these also go to the radio switch, ground to 6, signal to 7 and power to 8.
On the steering column side to the ECU 4 to 50 (power), 3 to 9 (signal), 2 to 89 (ground)
  • 2011 SX I30

Offline Gof

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Two Wells, SA
A couple of extra points:- because I populated the plug to the clock spring there is a chance your OEM plug may have pins 2, 3 and 4 transposed compared to the way I connected mine. The important thing is that the CC switch has pin 6 to ECU 89, 7 to 9 and 8 to 50.
I purchased some extra pins for the ECU rather than stuffing the wires in the holes to keep things tidy. When you do that you pull out the release bar to remove the blanking pins and insert the new ones, be carefull you do not accidentally yank out the existing wires, if they get mixed up you are in deep do do!
  • 2011 SX I30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal