i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230851

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
What is the part number for the usb assembly? (Not the usb lead)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Could it be

96120A5100

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:12:45 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I order both the lead and the assembly. I am now trying to find the adapter for the aux jack (not the usb). Anyone got it to work?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 17:04:26 by aanastasiou4 »
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Once again to VTH, your a legend for your guide to change gd01 with gd03, thanks to Stanvac wreckers again, upgraded the gd 01 to gd 03 as the 01 stopped working a couple days ago making my 2.5 hour round trip to work and back very boring , half hour to install and heaps better sound quality...
I just wanted to say that the part number tag was still attached to the USB lead I got, could come in handy for anyone who is looking.
USB lead P/No: 96595-A5000.
Enjoy, I am...
Where did you bought the wire?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Once again to VTH, your a legend for your guide to change gd01 with gd03, thanks to Stanvac wreckers again, upgraded the gd 01 to gd 03 as the 01 stopped working a couple days ago making my 2.5 hour round trip to work and back very boring , half hour to install and heaps better sound quality...
I just wanted to say that the part number tag was still attached to the USB lead I got, could come in handy for anyone who is looking.
USB lead P/No: 96595-A5000.
Enjoy, I am...
Where did you bought the wire?
The lead comes with the head unit when purchasing through Stanvac wreckers.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
The usb lead is the same with KIA’s part numbers: 961981M000 and 961983W000

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Installed mine today but when I play music on usb the left tweeter make some clicking/ popping sounds. I am using an iPhone and this occurs only when usb is used. Bluetooth and radio sound works fine.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Installed mine today but when I play music on usb the left tweeter make some clicking/ popping sounds. I am using an iPhone and this occurs only when usb is used. Bluetooth and radio sound works fine.

Sounds like the USB lead might be dodgy? :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Sounds like the USB lead might be dodgy? :undecided:
Mine does this occasionally as well, thought it might be the lead though changing it had no effect.

It sounds similar to the interference we used to get on radios when the distributor capacitor needed replacing but as we don't have dizzies anymore and it doesn't happen when using the radio I'm guessing it's possibly interference induced through the usb modules connection or module to head unit lead connection :undecided:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I am thinking if that occurs because of the aux which is not connected to the radio therefore there the aux/usb assembly is not grounded?
Also when I switch the radio on, a pop sound comes out of the speakers once before it starts playing

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:41:41 by aanastasiou4 »
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I am thinking if that occurs because of the aux which is not connected to the radio therefore there the aux/usb assembly is not grounded?

I don't think AUX would have anything to do with it as it's a completely separate line :undecided: there's no interference when using maps, only music which is very odd and only happens now and again.

I'll have to experiment further, maybe having the phone to close to the usb connection might cause some Wi-Fi interference :Dunno:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
But my gd-02 was working without any problems even when the phone was near the usb port

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
But my gd-02 was working without any problems even when the phone was near the usb port

Same, but the GD-02 didn't have the higher powered usb connection with Apple Play/Android Auto, I'm not sure whether this is the problem but as mentioned I'll have to keep experimenting.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
You are right! I will try to find the root of the problem too

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I asked a friend of mine about the usb playback problem. He has the gd-03 factory fitted and there is no such a problem with his car. This is weird.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
Firstly, a big thanks to VTH for the awesome guide. I picked up a GD-03 last week from Stanvac to replace my faulty GD-01 (all sounds ceased working about a month ago).

Installed it today. Mostly seems to have gone well. The inbuilt Radio / Bluetooth / USB work great (yay sounds again!).

Android Auto works... with one issue. All interactivity works, I can speak to the google assistant and ask it to navigate to places and it shows the map etc. However, ANY audio from the phone is horridly distorted, be it helpful Google lady telling me where to go, or music / youtube videos played on phone. The distortion is somewhat reminiscent of the old days when you had a noisy distributor interfering with radio.

I've tried different USB cables. Later I'll borrow the wife's phone and try Android Auto with hers. Just wondering if anyone had the same issue?

Edit: I'm not the only one with my specific phone model (Oppo R7s - :link: Android Auto - Audio issues | Oppo R7 Plus). Hmmm

Edit2: Ok definitely a software issue (phew, means I didn't break anything installing it myself). If I use Black Player to playback a variety of MP3 files, any files with sample rate of 44.1 kHz suffer the same distortion issue, whereas 48 or 96 kHz do not. Not sure what I can do from here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:35:16 by thommo101 »
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"Sounds" like your phone is the culprit doesn't it. I'd be borrowing the wife's phone ASAP if it's a different brand/model as that will confirm it.  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Make sure your head unit is running the latest firmware provided by Alan in reply 7 :link: HOW TO: Upgrade GD-03 head unit to current release with Android Auto support

Might not fix the issue if it's phone related though for troubleshooting purposes better to make sure latest software is installed.

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Thanks Craig, Dazzler,

The head unit already came with the latest firmware (as per that link)... I think.. will check.

My wifes Galaxy S5 worked without distortion however, so it is likely an issue with my phone. Sigh

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@thommo101 does it make any difference if you wrap the phones cable around a Ferrite core a couple of times, RFI might be bad with the Oppos :undecided:

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Craig, I'll have to dig through my spare parts bin to see if I have any ferrites handy. I don't think it would be an issue with EMI being a digital signal over the USB, but crazier things have happened. It kinda feels like a software issue (likely given that Oppo have their own UI layer on top of the standard Android stuff).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've got a whole bunch of them ferrites in the shed :) was just thinking Radio Frequency Interference from the phones Wi-Fi/Bluetooth could possibly interfere at plug base  :undecided:

Offline newtsy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Wow thank you so much for this guide, the radio died on our 2013 i30 active not long out of its 3yr warranty.  Picked up the GD-03, cable and socket for $165 from the wrecker.  Fantastic.

I just trimmed the wire, instead of removing it from the plug, seems to have accomplished the same end.

I did indeed sign up just to thank you.  So once again, thank you very much for this.  Great write up and the pics helped enormously with the job. 
  • 2013 Gd i30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow thank you so much for this guide, the radio died on our 2013 i30 active not long out of its 3yr warranty.  Picked up the GD-03, cable and socket for $165 from the wrecker.  Fantastic.

I just trimmed the wire, instead of removing it from the plug, seems to have accomplished the same end.

I did indeed sign up just to thank you.  So once again, thank you very much for this.  Great write up and the pics helped enormously with the job.

:wlcome01: Now you've joined hopefully you will stay around. There is plenty of other good info on here.  :goodjob:

Offline newtsy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the welcome Dazzler.  I'll certainly hang around, we were thinking about trading the car but with its new stereo it's got a new lease of life.
  • 2013 Gd i30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the welcome Dazzler.  I'll certainly hang around, we were thinking about trading the car but with its new stereo it's got a new lease of life.

No worries. If you do end up trading hopefully it will be another Hyundai anyway. We have members with all models of Hyundai and Kia on here. It is such a happy place.  :goodjob:

Offline i30fan1

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Kerry, Ireland
Can anybody please let me know where can I get that usb cable. Have been looking for ages.....Please help.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can anybody please let me know where can I get that usb cable. Have been looking for ages.....Please help.
Most if not all who have done GD-01 to GD-03 upgrades got the cable and usb plug module with the head unit when purchased through a wreckers like Stanvac :link: Contact Us
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 17:22:32 by CraigB »

Offline slaya

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi guys

I have a 2014 elite with navigation. Can anyone confirm that I will need to get a gd-03 unit from a vehicle with navigation or are they all the same?

Pictures all seem the same for the gd-03 models so I wasn't sure

Thanks
Matt
  • 2014 i30 Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Satnav and Non Satnav are a different shape at the base so not interchangeable.

I'm not sure whether the GD-03 units even have a Satnav version :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal