i30 Owners Club

2010 Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI Estate, 150k miles, should I buy?

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Hi

I'm pretty desperate for a car as mine just died, but its hard with the coronavirus lockdown! I've just seen a Hyundai i30 1.6CRDI Estate, 2010, 150k miles on the clock. 3 previous owners, full service history, 23 stamps in the book, been serviced very 6\8k miles, had a new clutch fitted last year and major service : Fuel, Oil, Air & Pollen filter. New front discs & pads. And new Goodyear tyres

It's £1800. What do you reckon? I've never bought a car with such high mileage, do you think its best to wait for something with lower mileage? I just read on this forum some people getting well upwards of 200k, even some saying they were above 300 or 400k miles in these cars! And it seems like its been looked after

Any advice would be great, I'm totally new to Hyundai
thanks
  • i30 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome "Robo" for those sort of "dollars" sounds pretty good to me, but I guess local members would have a better idea on comparative value.

The service history and the fact the clutch has recently been replaced are big pluses in my book. If it passes a thorough driving test I wouldn't be too concerned about mileage. That is not high by diesel standards.

I guess one of the bigger worries is being able to give a car with I assume a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) good regular 30 minute plus Motorway runs during the lock down to ensure it doesn't clog. Unless you are employed in an essential service and do this sort of driving every week or two as a minimum?

Covid 19 is certainly making life complicated for everyone!  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Welcome "Robo" for those sort of "dollars" sounds pretty good to me, but I guess local members would have a better idea on comparative value.

The service history and the fact the clutch has recently been replaced are big pluses in my book. If it passes a thorough driving test I wouldn't be too concerned about mileage. That is not high by diesel standards.

I guess one of the bigger worries is being able to give a car with I assume a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) good regular 30 minute plus Motorway runs during the lock down to ensure it doesn't clog. Unless you are employed in an essential service and do this sort of driving every week or two as a minimum?

Covid 19 is certainly making life complicated for everyone!  :crazy2:

Thanks, the guy seems very honest. It was actually a service car of some description fro the police before and he sent me their data sheet with all the services, and its been done every 7k miles or so.

I dont think I'm going to be able to do 30 minutes on the motorway! I dont know anything about cars really, so thats the first I heard of a DPF! But it would be rare in any circumstances to do a 30 min test drive for a relatively cheap car.

If any other i30 owners have any ideas let me know!

Im going to have a look in the morning, and I'll probably offer him £1500, because of the mileage and because nobody is buying cars right now!

thanks
  • i30 1.6

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
It should keep going for quite a while,  good service and plenty of new bits recently.  1500 sounds like a great price given current situation.
Just check battery age, your winters are hard on them. 5 years or older will probably need new soon .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@robodelfy

No nerd for a 30 minute test drive but might be worth search DPF in diesel problems or just search DPF on google to understand what they are about. The one in the i30 isn't particularly troublesome like in some other brands.

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
I bought it for £1700. The guy was very sentimental about it, in the end I genuinely think he didn't want to sell it! He talked about it for hours. He's looked after it extremely well, it drives perfectly. So I think this price was fair

Lets hope I can get upwards of 200k or if I'm lucky 300k miles!

Thanks for the help
  • i30 1.6

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My partners' 2011 CRDi has now done 196,000 miles and still going strong, with original clutch & DPF. Dealer serviced up to 110,000 miles, serviced by me since then. Apart from regular oil changes I haven't touched the engine. If it is ex-police I think they are kept in tip-top shape.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I bought it for £1700. The guy was very sentimental about it, in the end I genuinely think he didn't want to sell it! He talked about it for hours. He's looked after it extremely well, it drives perfectly. So I think this price was fair

Thanks for the help

Excellent.   Keep in touch.. if anything does crop up you are concerned about we are here to help.  :cool: :goodjob:

The thing with the CRDi is they have a lot of character which is very indearing to their owners. A lot of members on here will relate to the previous owners feelings. It has been almost 10 years since I traded my first i30 (a 2008 CRDi) and I still remember her very fondly. Incidentally she is still driving around here in Devonport Tasmania looking as good as new.  :mrgreen:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
CRDi owners are extremely nice people. :whistler:
Consider keeping in touch and sending the previous owner the occasional picture of your trips with it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Thanks for the help

I sold a diesel manual (my second one) several months ago with 237,000 kms on it and it was mechanically like new.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
CRDi owners are extremely nice people. :whistler:
Consider keeping in touch and sending the previous owner the occasional picture of your trips with it.

I dont want to break his heart!
  • i30 1.6

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK

Thanks for the help

I sold a diesel manual (my second one) several months ago with 237,000 kms on it and it was mechanically like new.

Thats re-assuring to hear!
  • i30 1.6

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal