i30 Owners Club

DCT or Torque converter auto clutch

Offline rosstheboss1972

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Mid Glamorgan
Hi all, long time lurker, first or second time poster.

My 22 year old son has decided he wants an automatic gearbox i30 (that's what a year in Oz does for you lol). He can't buy new but could stretch to a DCT version (in post 2015 i30s) thats just out of warranty. I was told Torque Converter transmissions were more reliable (in 2012-2015 i30's). I'm a manual man myself so I'm pretty clueless on the subject.  What's the general consensus on reliability and personal experience? And are petrol or diesel autos better?

Thanks all

• i30 1.4 Petrol 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I enjoyed the DCT in my 2017 (series 3) SR, but they continue to improve the calibration and reliability with each version so would probably err on the safe side with a 5 year old car out of warranty and stick with conventional auto. I personally recommend the CRDi. The 1.6 Hyundai diesel is agem if regularly serviced with the correct oil etc...  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
If you want more reliable one, then torque converter. Few cases mentioned here on the forum where hyundai DTC burned down the clutch disks way too soon.

Torque converter have been manufactured for decades. Proven technology.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
An Auto is an Auto,
A DCT is NOT.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The ideal is an auto (torque converter) with a locking clutch at cruise speed for manual-like economy - but not as much fun as a manual. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The ideal is an auto (torque converter) with a locking clutch at cruise speed for manual-like economy - but not as much fun as a manual. :lol:

I was going to say, hope he doesn't  fly a plane..... but after 3rd reading it all started to make  sense,   :goodjob2:  :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I enjoyed the DCT in my 2017 (series 3) SR, but they continue to improve the calibration and reliability with each version so would probably err on the safe side with a 5 year old car out of warranty and stick with conventional auto. I personally recommend the CRDi. The 1.6 Hyundai diesel is a gem if regularly serviced with the correct oil etc...  :cool:

perfect  :agreed:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

I was going to say, hope he doesn't  fly a plane..... but after 3rd reading it all started to make  sense,   :goodjob2:  :mrgreen:
@The Gonz
Yep, lock-up in top on auto  :goodjob:
@nzenigma
Sslloowwllyy  .

One of our work machines was : 40 tonne , 10 litre V6 2 stroke diesel,  twin super chargers and twin turbos, 6 speed auto with lock-up that worked in any gear .
Select first, as soon as rolling , lock-up, full throttle, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, still spinning  :lol: :lol: , and we were only allowed to travel at 80km/h ,  :rolleyes: :whistler:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
One of our work machines was : 40 tonne , 10 litre V6 2 stroke diesel,  twin super chargers and twin turbos, 6 speed auto with lock-up that worked in any gear .
Select first, as soon as rolling , lock-up, full throttle, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, still spinning    , and we were only allowed to travel at 80km/h ,   
:Shocked: Sounds like an absolutely unstoppable monster!
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Select first, as soon as rolling , lock-up, full throttle, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, still spinning    , and we were only allowed to travel at 80km/h ,   
:Shocked: Sounds like an absolutely unstoppable monster!
And deep down, Mick still hasn't changed.  :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal