i30 Owners Club

GPS for $AU70

Nev75 · 4 · 2421

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
Hello All,

Just a heads up for anyone after a cheap GPS for their i30, and doesn't mind fiddling around a bit to get it going..

I got it for about $AU60 (has since gone up a bit to $AU70) and it works very well.

http://www.focalprice.com/EG014B/35_GPS_Navigator_TM358C_Black.html

This is not going to suit everyone, because the unit doesn't come with GPS software. You can easily, erm, "obtain" GPS software on the Internet (or buy it).

You will also need an SD card if you haven't got a spare laying around. You can get 2GB ones at Hardly Normal for $10-$15 (or $8 at MSY).

I am using iGO 8 software and it works brilliantly. Has full turn-by-turn speech etc.

Now I just need to mod it into the top middle console of the i30, like another guy on these forums has.

(PS the unit also plays DivX, MP3 (I have tried both) and plays other formats also).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good find Nev.. thanks.. :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Nev, does your Igo 8 give you speech directions - eg "In 800 meters, prepare to turn left at Grey Road" or does it just give you "After 800 meters, prepare to turn left"  I use Igo 8 on my modofied Mio (I got it in the US on holiday and the maps for Australia are more expensive than a new unit) and it doesnt read out the street name.

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
hi Lucifer,

Yes, the iGO I have does read out street names ... and reads them out surprisingly accurately in terms of pronunciation!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal