i30 Owners Club

Best place to hook up mini sub/amp power? 2010 i30

Offline Shayneox

• 2nd Gear

• South Korea
Good Morning all...at least it is in Korea...just got done installing a new head unit with backup cam in my 2010 and my daughter sent me a cool liitle mini sub/amp combo.
I have it all wired into head unit....just not sure were to get power...there are no holes in firewall that I can see.  (Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer)
built-in amplifier: 75 watts RMS power (150 watts maximum)

In the comment section on Amazon one dude mentioned tapping into same wire as head unit.  Is that a safe option? Or is there another way.  Wire looks to be 8 or 10 gauge from the unit.

Thanks in advance.

Just a tad bit of info of what I installed. Wanted to keep price low and unit simple as I will only own car for 5 years.
I used one of them Chinese dash replacement pieces off of eBay for 50 bucks. Had to swap over A/C vents and controls...it loses the clock as your head unit will most likely have.
Fitment was an 8 out of 10...was a pain in the a$$ to snap into place. But does look good.
Pioneer MVH-200EX and a Coolint CT107B rear cam.  Then my kid sent me the gift mentioned above. Head unit sticks out about an 8th of an inch at the top due to the dash curve.
Camera gets power from back up light in the rear...brown wire.
  • 2010 i30CW

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry, can't help with your query, but be keen to see how it looks!  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't see anything wrong with stealing power from the head unit's line. Just up the fuse rating if needed, or steal it from before it feeds the fuse, with the amp's fuse in line of course.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :whsaid:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Elon Musk reckons he knows a bit about mini subs. Maybe we should ask him!  :lol:

Offline Shayneox

• 2nd Gear

• South Korea
Tried posting pics of what the Chinese dash piece looks like, I am on an AirForce base so its blocked....used my phone so hope they are there.
The part cost $50 and took two months to get as I am in Korea.  Going to use a nice piece of plastic and fabricate a little cover for the top and sides of the unit that are exposed out of the dash. If I was back at my real home in the U.S. I would have cut and modified the inside of the dash to make stereo fit flush, but I dont have the tools here. :(
  • 2010 i30CW

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the picture Shayne. They worked. There is certainly some work to tidy it up. Be interested to see an after shot.

Maybe being as Korea is a tech savvy country maybe you can find someone who can make something suitable with a 3D printer.  :idea:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If I was back at my real home in the U.S. I would have cut and modified the inside of the dash to make stereo fit flush, but I dont have the tools here.
I felt the same way in the UK and Indonesia, but the worst was Afghanistan!
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal