i30 Owners Club

NextBase dashcam

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Administrator Comment Split from :link: [GUIDE] How to install a dashcam on an i30N

Hi

I've just changed from a 65 plate i30 to an 18 plate. I had bought a NextBase dashcam and was able to use a 12v socket in the older car.  However the layout of the newer car means that I will have to wire it in to the fuse box. I bought a NextBase kit at Halfords this morning, read the above guide and found the correct fuse etc - no problems.  However, I'm struggling with the fuse and the plug that came with the kit.  I cannot see where this fits (I'm not mechanically minded so excuse my stupidity) or where the black plug then goes into the fuse box.  I've attached a photo.  Did I pick up the wrong kit at Halfords?

Appreciate any help - thanks.

• i30 1.6 BlueDrive Premium SE

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You would first need to extract a fuse to see which size tap is required, once the size is worked out then decide which fuse you're going to tap into.

Generally the ACC (Accessories) fuse is what most use and comes on with first turn of the key (ACC), personally for my own install I tapped into the front Wipers as I preferred power to the cam being only on with ignition/engine running.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi - thanks for the reply.

The red fuse is the "spare" from my fuse box (as described in the guide I found here) - should I choose something else or will they all be the same size?

(Apologies for posting in the Guide thread.)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the red fuse is from spares in the interior fuse panel then they'll likely all be the same physical size, once the correct tap to fit your fuse panel is found then the fuse you are tapping into goes in the first slot of the tap (closest to the pins), then the fuse for the cam goes in the outer slot.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I must be really stupid so apologies - I don't see how the red fuse fits anywhere into the black socket/cable, and then I don't understand how the black socket/cable will fit into the fuse box.

This is why I'm not allowed to do ANY electrical work around the house...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The black socket/cable (fuse tap) plugs directly into the spot where the fuse you are going to tap from, though the tap looks to big to fit anyway as the pin size should be the same as the red fuse you have there.

If the tap was correct size then the red fuse would plug into one of the two fuse ports shown on the picture of the tap.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Ah OK - I see now - thanks!

I'll need to return the kit then - at least I can take the fuse with me this time and see if they have an alternative.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ah OK - I see now - thanks!

I'll need to return the kit then - at least I can take the fuse with me this time and see if they have an alternative.
You're welcome :) just remember the fuse for the cam goes into to port I've drawn the lines to, the fuse from the fuse panel (that tap plugs into) goes into the first port.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The black socket/cable (fuse tap) plugs directly into the spot where the fuse you are going to tap from, though the tap looks to big to fit anyway as the pin size should be the same as the red fuse you have there.

If the tap was correct size then the red fuse would plug into one of the two fuse ports shown on the picture of the tap.

I never knew how these "taps" worked (not that I've tried) but handy to know for future reference. Cheers Craig. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Split from

:link: [GUIDE] How to install a dashcam on an i30N

Hi

Appreciate any help - thanks.

Hi Mate

based on the photo provided, I think that red fuse is a Micro 2 size hence it will not fit into fuse tap above.  You will need to hunt for a micro 2 fuse tap. 

:link: 1pcs MICRO2 FUSE TAP ADD-A-CIRCUIT ATR FUSE TAPs | eBay

My I30 PD2 using a micro 2 fuse.  Make sure you find out which teeth is the Red and ground in your car fuse box, wrong way round could heat up the wiring can cause fire in worst case - use a multimeter to identify the live one.

Notice how the top fuse in the fuse tap have to be smaller in Amp than the one below. i.e  top is 10, bottom is 30.  If the top one is not smaller than the bottom one, then it wont work.  For example, if you pull out the windscreen wiper fuse from the car fuse box, and it is a 30 amp, then in the fuse tap, the 30 amp will go in the bottom, nearest the 2 metal teeth, and a smaller fuse will need to go on top, as long as it less than the one down the bottom, which is 30 amp in this example.  Hope that helped :)   I just recently went through a crash course on how to install these as well so it is still fresh in my memory.

for more info, this guy on youtube explain the process pretty well.

:link: How to add a fused circuit to your vehicle ? how to fuse tap - by VegOilGuy - YouTube

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:21:52 by Blazorax »
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Blazorax, Glasweigen will require a smaller tap to start with as the size is clearly larger than the fuse removed from car, the other information is correct in that you tap into a higher amp fuse than what the cam requires :goodjob:

My setup taps into the 25amp front wiper fuse for port 1 then port 2 has a 20amp fuse for power to my Cellink battery that powers the cam.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Digging around further it appears that NextBase have not bothered to update their connectors - I found numerous buyers complaining about this.  I went to my local Halfords and spoke to a member of staff - he looked and said there were none of the micro fuse adapters on the shelves.  However, he then said he would check with someone and came back with the correct connector - no charge!  The rest of the connection kit is fine.

I've taken out a 10A fuse marked "Spare" - I've slotted that into the tap to the second slot as described by CraigB - will that be OK?

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As long as the fuse to cam is lower than the tapped fuse(piggyback) then should be fine, if powering just the cam you'll probably find that 1.5amp to 5amp is recommended.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Thanks again everyone.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Fitted all the cabling (no problem) but the cam does not seem to work (the car still starts though).  The fuse from the car is in the correct position in the tap. Is it perhaps because the fuse I chose is called a "Spare"? 

I don't have any electrical tools or meters.

Thanks again for any help.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Spare is exactly that - a spare and has no power to it (its a spare to use when another 10A fuse blows)

Tap into the Power Outlet fuse just above and that will power the cam with key in Accessories position.

Remember to put the Power Outlet fuse (20A) in the first port and the cam fuse in the outer 2nd port.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
That sounds logical - why didn't I realise that??

Thanks - will try that tomorrow.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
and you'll be glad to know that the consumer association 'WHICH' have these dash cams rated as the best buys  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@Glaswegian - I plug the fused tap into the screen wiper 15A for my car, so if it does blow, nothing too major :) just one left and 2 down from your spare.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Still no joy - the car starts fine but the cam remains blank.  I also tried the wiper fuse as well - same result. I checked the connections and all looks fine.  On the basis the car still starts, would this suggest a problem with the hard-wire kit itself?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have you got both fuses plugged into the tap? does the tap/hardwire kit also have a ground wire that needs to be grounded? a photo of your setup may help us to visually see if things are correct.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Not the best pics but it's bucketing here...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That's the rear wiper fuse port you're in right? do you have ignition turned on full? the ground wire looks like it mounted to a plastic panel :undecided: needs to be attached to metal body.

I personally would have chosen the front wipers though that shouldn't matter, what size fuse is plugged in for the cam?

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Yes - based on the reply from Blazorax. It's keyless ignition so I normally just start it. The grey fuse says 2A.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
2A should be adequate, it looked like a 25A :p

I think the ground wire might be wrong if that's attached to a plastic panel, try mounting on the metal behind kick board or the steel subframe behind the dash.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I think it is attached to a metal plate but I will check and try moving it tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No problem, I cant offer much more advice unfortunately and you might need an auto electrician to have a quick look to see where the fault lies if it still fails to work.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Not the best pics but it's bucketing here...

ot the best pics but it's bucketing here...

@Glaswegian  - If you have I30 2018 model, then I believe that you have the fuse tap plug in the wrong way.  The Active in teeth of the fuse in the fuse box is on the left hand side, that is on my I30 2018 PD2, when I multimeter test it.

Remove the fuse tap and plug it so that the fuse face down instead of up and the red cable going to the right side

The most important thing is to maintain the original circuits in your car and make sure all are working :).

Once plug in, start the car and turn on your wipers, if both front and back are working, then at least you know that the fuse tap worked.  You will need to test the fuse tap to see if the 2Amp fuse circuit is working by using multimeter and measure the Oms between the teeth of the fuse tap and the connection at the end of the fuse tap red cable to make sure that Circuit is complete, if it is then it might be your hard-wiring is having issue.  Have you verified that the dashcam actually still working? :)  Plug that into the USB 5v charger and see if it turn on just to make sure

Go get yourself a cheap multimeter, it really help with troubleshooting the circuit.

Note:  My hardwire kit came with 3 wires - If yours got 3 wires as well then you need to do as per below.

Red
Yellow
Black

If you only want the dashcam to turn on when you start the car, then you need to

Red+Yellow --> connect to red end of the fuse tap.
Black --> should go into earth, as CraigB said - it need to go into the chassis of the car not the plastic, again the only way to know if it is earth or not is using a multimeter.

I had a bit of an issue with my cabling initially because i didn't connect the yellow cable to anything.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 00:45:27 by Blazorax »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal