i30 Owners Club

scratches, detailer in sydney recommendations, or DIY?

kroner · 22 · 4374

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
so just got a new (for me) GD
has a few scratches on my bumper that would like to get sorted, if it makes financial sense.
anyones has any recommendations of detailers in sydney that can do a good job? and how much do they cost (more or less)

would getting a touch up paint bottle and diying be too noticeable compared to a pro?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
so just got a new (for me) GD
has a few scratches on my bumper that would like to get sorted, if it makes financial sense.
anyones has any recommendations of detailers in sydney that can do a good job? and how much do they cost (more or less)

would getting a touch up paint bottle and diying be too noticeable compared to a pro?
  :ttiuwp:  :sorry1:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
True, but it's dark now to take any, will post some tomorrow.
people can make recommendations of detailers anyway.
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
True, but it's dark now to take any, will post some tomorrow.
people can make recommendations of detailers anyway.
No fun at all :P yes they can :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What's the severity of the scratch? hard to know without pictures as to whether a painter or detailer is required...or yourself if capable :Dunno:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What's the severity of the scratch? hard to know without pictures as to whether a painter or detailer is required...or yourself if capable :Dunno:
You just had to fuel  that fire  :head_knock: :faint:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
got em
first is bumper, second is fender
:link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

probably the fender one is the worst offender on the metal panels, the rest are minor and could probably be buffed up with a machine.
there are a couple more on the bumpers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:50:49 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
1st pic look like deep scratch into the panel and you will need to touch up yourself or get someone to touch it up.
The 2nd picture seem to show only light smear on top coat, you should be able to just polish it out gently with a rag and some light polisher. 

Since you are going to get someone to work on the 1st part, might as well get them to do the 2nd one too since they already working on it :)

• 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Okay,
 Pardon the pun - " The Touch Up Guys ". Don't know about all, but, seen some of the work by the Camden area guy both private and for caryards.   :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm thinking $200 to $300 by someone like the touch up guys which would be a lot less than a panel shop who might want $1000 to do both. Too bad for a brush job and tricky to fill and spray yourself if they get the colour slightly wrong. I fixed similar for my Daughter and the colour matched but the texture of the paint still gives it away a bit. Hers was a 2010 Navy coloured Honda Civic. Front right bumper and a little bit of the lower guard quite similar to yours damage wise.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
We also had some scumbag put some scratches on our GD, but as it is a metalic paint, everyone we contacted siad that the complete panel would need to be painted. But then as a newely painted panel next to the original, it was also likell to be noticable  :crazy1:

So decided to leave the minor scratches.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We also had some scumbag put some scratches on our GD, but as it is a metalic paint, everyone we contacted siad that the complete panel would need to be painted. But then as a newely painted panel next to the original, it was also likell to be noticable  :crazy1:

So decided to leave the minor scratches.

:blubber:

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Got a quote from the touch up guys.
basically I have the 2 sides of the 2 bumpers scratched + fender.
he said he'd touch them up for $330 or spray for $500, though it seemed he would spray the worst offender, and touch up the rest.

for $330 it's not bad, but i'm also tempted at having a go myself, since the front bumper has some scratches on the underside that I did not send pictures of, so wasn't quoted.

Also had a go today at polishing some of the minor scratches with some old polishing paste, and they turned up reasonably well.
I think with a better/fresher product, they might come off all together, oh, and I ordered one of those "fix it pro" pens from ebay

don't get me wrong, the car, overall looks good, i just have this new car feeling, and wanna do the best to make it look as good as possible.

what products do you recommend for polishing? should i go with something slightly more abrasive, then finer?
should I have a go a diying the bumpers? decisions decisions
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here is a couple of screen captures from the original thread where I fixed my daughter's bumper. She's happy enough with it. Before and after... It looked better when the car had been washed and I think that was before I hit it with clear coat..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Got a quote from the touch up guys.
basically I have the 2 sides of the 2 bumpers scratched + fender.
he said he'd touch them up for $330 or spray for $500, though it seemed he would spray the worst offender, and touch up the rest.

for $330 it's not bad, but i'm also tempted at having a go myself, since the front bumper has some scratches on the underside that I did not send pictures of, so wasn't quoted.

Also had a go today at polishing some of the minor scratches with some old polishing paste, and they turned up reasonably well.
I think with a better/fresher product, they might come off all together, oh, and I ordered one of those "fix it pro" pens from ebay

don't get me wrong, the car, overall looks good, i just have this new car feeling, and wanna do the best to make it look as good as possible.

what products do you recommend for polishing? should i go with something slightly more abrasive, then finer?
should I have a go a diying the bumpers? decisions decisions
@kroner
Not a bad price. Could also get a quick detail done.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If it is just a bumper try a local panel beater who isn't associated with an insurance company.

On the cw I got the front bumper removed and respraied for $300 cash.

If you are flexible on when it is done, they can fit it in when they are quiet so it is a win for them.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If it is just a bumper try a local panel beater who isn't associated with an insurance company.

On the cw I got the front bumper removed and respraied for $300 cash.

If you are flexible on when it is done, they can fit it in when they are quiet so it is a win for them.
Good thinking,  I had 3 cash jobs done on the Challenger.

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
just went to two panel beaters in the area.
first quote was for $1000 for both bumpers, second was for $1200
didn't mention cash, but I might try different panel beaters and mention it.
$300 sounds reasonable for one, might be my target figure.
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When my car was getting the paint repairs I added the front bumper as an extra to get rid of the stone chips, was $600 for a complete front bumper respray.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm thinking $200 to $300 by someone like the touch up guys which would be a lot less than a panel shop who might want $1000 to do both. Too bad for a brush job and tricky to fill and spray yourself if they get the colour slightly wrong. I fixed similar for my Daughter and the colour matched but the texture of the paint still gives it away a bit. Hers was a 2010 Navy coloured Honda Civic. Front right bumper and a little bit of the lower guard quite similar to yours damage wise.
Gee my guesstimates weren't too far off!  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal