i30 Owners Club

Mandurah Hyundai

Offline Ozknight

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
    • Tech Mobile Pro
Had the i30 about 18 months and it was due for the 90k service. Seeing as we got the extended warranty, it had to go back to the dealer. A mere $1000  later  :faint:, I was told it needed new tyres (which I knew but tried to ignore for as long as safely possible).
Took it to Peel tyre service and had 4 new ones put on. They explained that one of the wheel studs was cross threaded and had to break it to get it off.

So anyway, they blamed Hyundai and Hyundai blamed them. After escalating the complaint to the service manager, Don, he agreed to replace the stud even though he thought it wasn't their fault.

A mechanic friend of mine said it was more likely the thread was 'pulled' than cross threaded.  I guess only the mechanic at peel tyre will know the truth. Still, at least I wasn't $1400 down AND a wheel stud.  :crazy2:
  • i30cw 2010 1.6 crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I guess by pulled you mean done up too tight, thereby stretching the stud.
It's pretty hard to do with a modern air gun as  they are preset to a maximum tension and if it was set to high you'd expect all the studs to be damaged.
Most places should have a policy of doing up the wheel nuts with an air gun then finishing off with a tension wrench.

But at the end of the day,  either place could have done it.

BTW I can  do up wheel nuts tighter with a hand held,  4 way wheel brace than with any air gun. Every car should have one in its boot. A hell of a lot safer to use thwn what comes with the car.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
BTW I can  do up wheel nuts tighter with a hand held,  4 way wheel brace than with any air gun. Every car should have one in its boot. A hell of a lot safer to use thwn what comes with the car.

Me 2, I broke a stud when removing one of my tyres on my old VH Commodore. The thread must have been clogged with brake dust. :confused:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
BTW I can  do up wheel nuts tighter with a hand held,  4 way wheel brace than with any air gun.
Me 2, I broke a stud when removing one of my tyres on my old VH Commodore. The thread must have been clogged with brake dust. :confused:
"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :D :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Note to self.........

Do not, repeat,  do not mess with Phil.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You're pretty safe these days, Surferdude. :exclaim:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal