i30 Owners Club

Dome light not working

duff18 · 4 · 8515

Offline duff18

• 1st Gear

• it Italy
      Cagliari
Hi all,
after many years I drove my mum's car and seen that the dome light is missing. She explained that at some point it wasn't working and some mechanic/electrician had a look at it (apparently took the dome light apart in the process, which then went missing) and told her it was some serious issue that wasn't worth paying to fix.

Now, I tested with voltmeter the connector that is left where the dome light was (see attached photo) and found that there is a 12V signal between the two external slots (I guess the third one gives a signal when the doors are open/closed?).

I'm thinking about just connecting a simple light bulb with two wires to the connector, and then fix it in place where the dome light was.

Would you guys agree this is a reasonably good idea?

• Hyundai i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That would be reasonable, but is it so difficult to restore the original design? What model / year? You can probably find the original part online or at a wrecker's yard cheaply.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline duff18

• 1st Gear

• it Italy
      Cagliari
I believe it's a Hatchback 1.6 CRDi from 2010.  It's not easy to find replacement parts for this car in Italy, that's why I thought about the DIY option. I'm just really surprised it would be this simple to fix "the problem". God knows what the car electrician "found" when he looked at it
  • Hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal