i30 Owners Club

Speaker Upgrade question...

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
I was chatting to my local car audio man today and he thought that Alpine SPS-17C2's might be a decent upgrade for the front speakers, for a reasonable price.

I have 2 questions for you...

1. Does anyone know these speakers?

2. Does anyone have a better idea?

(ps - a subwoofer would be one step too far for my wife, so don't even suggest it! She thinks that car boots are for other things  :cry: )

Offline d33n

• 1st Gear
the stock radio have 50w per channel ratings right? about 25w rms? that speaker seems okay for the stock HU but you still need a amp to hear its full potential. try getting a lower rated speaker that the HU can powered easily. it will sound "better" because the mid/bass will be there even at low volume. so the music will sound "complete" tho not best.

from my experience, any high rated speaker without amplifier will sound worst than the stock speakers because you will only hear the mid/bass clearly at high volume but the treble would dominate the music at that point. it wont sound good. focal and infinity included - i used both.

how about this? 3-way is good. treble, mid and bass.

Offline DeathRattle

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "d33n"
the stock radio have 50w per channel ratings right? about 25w rms? that speaker seems okay for the stock HU but you still need a amp to hear its full potential. try getting a lower rated speaker that the HU can powered easily. it will sound "better" because the mid/bass will be there even at low volume. so the music will sound "complete" tho not best.

from my experience, any high rated speaker without amplifier will sound worst than the stock speakers because you will only hear the mid/bass clearly at high volume but the treble would dominate the music at that point. it wont sound good. focal and infinity included - i used both.

how about this? 3-way is good. treble, mid and bass.

Sorry, but I have to interject.
What a load of rubbish.

50w, 25w, The reality would be closer to 5 or 6 RMS.
As for the power handling of the speaker, this has very little to do with how it sounds.
Please, go read up on dB/w/m, Xmax, power calculations, etc before posting more (in my opinion) rubbish.

Offline d33n

• 1st Gear
As you wish. This will be my last for this forum because honestly I can't be bothered to know all the details. All I know, from online reading, was:

-an underpowered speaker won't perform as good as a sufficiently powered speaker
-quality of sound is determined by magnets and type of paper/rubber/whatever of speaker
-the RMS given is the easiest way to combo amplifier/speaker/subwoofer - for a dumb guy like me anyway
-never came across the actual RMS of a stock head unit

Now I know this is all rubbish as you easily pointed out. But please share some of your knowledge in this area.

Sayonara.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Please don't let one single harshly-phrased post upset you D33n - Please keep visiting, because your posts are very welcome. I'm sure the forum will contain many useful pieces of information for you and I'm sure you have many ideas to contribute too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks i30manUK.. I sent d33n a PM to that effect at 9.04pm last night but it's still in my outbox (the wonders of modern technology....)

Did you have a sudden rush of blood to the head deathrattle.... :shock:

d33n please stay around, I've got my detractors too but most of our communications on this site are pretty civil...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Yeah dont get to upset d33n, mostly this is a freindly little chat club and I am sure deathrattle didnt mean it to be a personal attack. Besides Dazz talks rubbish all the time, he cant help it, he's Tasmanian, but he seems otherwise to be a good bloke. Right Dazz :?:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
And I have been told my jokes are rubbish too!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

and by the way d33n at least you can spell properly.. unlike some... :lol:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
So my spelling is rubbish too Dazz. Mate, you are pushing the freindship now. :?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
So my spelling is rubbish too Dazz. Mate, you are pushing the freindship now. :?

remember eye before e except after c... so no it's not right   :lol:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
ouch :oops:

I guess thats one good reason to buy an i30. i30 is easy to spell. Hyundai can be a bit tricky though.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal