i30 Owners Club

NextBase dashcam

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Thanks for that info - thought I would update first before taking any more action...

Went out this morning and the back wiper was not working.  When I got home, I removed the fuse from the tap and placed it back in its original position in the fuse box.  The back wiper then worked fine. My kit only has 2 wires - black and red.  Cam works using its own internal battery.

I'm looking at multimeters just now and should be able to get one tomorrow.  I had no idea that you needed to plug the tap in a specific way - every day is a school day...

• i30 1.6 BlueDrive Premium SE

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Based on your info, it would appeared that your fuse tap is not working.

The red arrow in the pic below pointing to the Active tooth of the fuse tap.  That need to match up with the live point in your fuse :).

Here is another test to verify that your fuse tap is working.

1 - Remove the 15A wiper fuse again.
2 - Plug the wiper fused that you removed into the bottom slot nearest teeth as shown in pic
3 - Leave the other fuse slot empty.
4 - Plug fuse tap back into wiper fuse box
5 - Start car and test wiper.

If wiper work, then you know that your fusetap is good.  if wiper do not then that fuse tap is cactus - get a new fuse tap :)

• 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Thanks again for the info.  I shall try this tomorrow (too many things elsewhere needing done just now!)

Offline tartakobsky

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
when i hardwired my dashcam, i did not use the fuse tap. the red wire i directly tap to one 'teeth' of the cigar lighter fuse and the black wire to a metal screw somewhere near. when i turn the key to acc or on, the dashcam will also turn on.
  • I30 Active GD4 Series 2

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:
The tap is not necessary (I don't use them), and in this case is causing more trouble than good.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi again - had a busy weekend so now back looking at this.  Broke the car fuse trying to get it out of the tap so have decided to buy a new tap and selection of fuses.  Will probably be a few days before I can try again.

I don't think me trying to wire directly into another fuse (without the tap) is a good idea.  I really need to be able to drive the car and my electrical skills are really dangerous at this time.  Thanks for the suggestion though - all help is gratefully received and much appreciated.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I admire your tenacity - but can't you just plug the camera into the car's cigar lighter socket and be done with it.

Life is too short to put up with all that stress and effort.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I admire your tenacity - but can't you just plug the camera into the car's cigar lighter socket and be done with it.

That's all I do. I have mine plugged in discretely to the point inside my centre armrest storage box.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Nooooo :) He already spent all those time running the cable to the fuse box.  It is the last leg of the trip, don't give up now.

BTW - since i've done my I30.   I put another dashcam on the wife subaru outback 2015 on the weekend.  Took a whole 30 mins to get it done this time. 

@Glaswegian - Make it a driving holiday trip - drive your car to me, i'll install it for you dude.  :P
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

That worked on the older model, but with the new model the 12v sockets are placed differently (and are subtly hidden) and the centre consol (below the dash) is a sealed unit. I'm happy to try and learn something new (or at least I was... :rolleyes:) and it helps keep you all amused.

Offline Glaswegian

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi again

Finally got a new tap and fuse kit delivered (the micro fuses are difficult to find).  The fuses slide in nicely to this tap but broke the 2A fuse that was in the old tap so I just used a 5A instead.

Connected everything (still using the 15A wiper fuse) but still no joy.

Not sure if there is anything left to try.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How frustrating  :crazy1:

Sounds like most of my DIY jobs these days..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You’ll probably find an auto electrician will only cost 10 or 15£ for a quick fix and save you a lot of stress.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal