i30 Owners Club

I30 1.0L petrol performance upgrade options

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Hi guys

I have a 67 plate i30. It's the 1 litre 120. I believe it's 118bhp.

When i had my old Vauxhall diesel i had the engine remapped and DPF removed that took it from 108bhp to 156bhp so, a big increase. As the i30 is petrol i believe the remap takes it from 118bhp to approx 140bhp.

Is there any other fairly cheap upgrades that could give any more?

The main reason i ask. With the Vauxhall i didn't tell the insurance. Wrong i know. So now, i will only play around with it if i decide I'll tell the insurance but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for 20bhp.

So, any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Marc
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think the easiest power increase would be from a plug in RaceChip :link: Performance chips ? Chip tuning by RaceChip for Hyundai I30 (PD) 1.0 T-GDI (88KW) | RaceChip if wanting more power still you would be outlaying much more for turbo - inter cooler and exhaust upgrades with a custom tune/remap which could then require drive line upgrades.

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Cheers Craig. The company i took the Vauxhall to did successfully give the promised performance increase when they worked on it. so checking what they can do for the i30 gives 2bhp less than the chip but about 17nm more looking on their website.

Does the i30 achieve much increase with any smaller changes like air filters etc?
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The GTS chip gives 28 HP - 42 Nm.

Different filter media type like K&N or similar can sometimes help but whether you would actually feel much difference...would be very minimal, opening up the airbox intake port can help make slight further improvements though that requires modifying the box and routing a larger flexible intake pipe behind the grill.

There are full intake kits available though they're quite expensive and make no notable improvement over a modified airbox from my personal testing :)

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Avon tuning would take it to 140bhp and 230nm.

Be interesting if a new air filter didn't help if stock but allowed a higher tune.
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What is the standard torque? we don't get a 1ltr here.

I found the torque 171 Nm :) I'd go with Avon tuning then, you'll notice the extra 59 Nm's more, though might pay to confirm with other 1ltr owners if the cars drive line will hold up with that sort of increase in torque :undecided:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:33:31 by CraigB »

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands

Offline Tuto006

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Landen
Hey there,

I had my 1.0 i30 wagon from 2017 chiptuned a couple weeks ago. So far no issues. Not so happy with the feel of it, kinda feels the same to me, still having pedal feel issues like before the chiptune, it pulls a bit harder, but without having a good pedal response it's kinda useless (and then I mean, the first couple of seconds it doesn't pull, don't know if you have the issue)

I'll leave my dyno chart here for the interested. Stock engine, just a k&n inlay air filter.

• I30 wagon 1.0 gasoline PD 2017 Ara blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey there,

I had my 1.0 i30 wagon from 2017 chiptuned a couple weeks ago. So far no issues. Not so happy with the feel of it, kinda feels the same to me, still having pedal feel issues like before the chiptune, it pulls a bit harder, but without having a good pedal response it's kinda useless (and then I mean, the first couple of seconds it doesn't pull, don't know if you have the issue)

I'll leave my dyno chart here for the interested. Stock engine, just a k&n inlay air filter.

Welcome!

I could be wrong, but we seem to have very few 1.0 litre i30 owners on the site. They appear to have only been sold in a hand full of European countries and not in great numbers. But hopefully you will still get some feedback.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
3rd gear must be 1:1 ? ?
If not ........
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Tuto006

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Landen
No clue, wasn't really happy either with the chiptuning shop, wasn't your conventional chiptuning with a base run etc. They just hooked the ecu to the computer then he went to a backroom changed the fuel up and then went for a test drive and you got your dynochart lol.

Might hit up a legit one, one where they try and add a bit off timing and play with the boost, so I can really see what this engine is capable off in safe numbers offcourse. So far all chiptuning places ive contacted can only provide a 20 hp gain and around 230 torque if I remember correct, they are a bit afraid to go higher cause they don't know what it can handle on stock rods and pistons etc. And sadly there ain't a lot off aftermarket parts available for the 1.0 because of that reason.

Anyways, when I do mods or hit the tuner again I'll make sure to post about it on the forums for any other 1.0 drivers who want to make some more power but are hesitant on what it can take.
  • I30 wagon 1.0 gasoline PD 2017 Ara blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal